crazyikon86

in the market for components and amp

was looking at Sundown Audio SA-6.5CS and Skar Audio VXI65 6.5 because there on the site. what do u recommend? what other brands and models to you recommend? i havent looked at amps yet but if you can match up some stuff.

this will be going with 2 12 icons on a sundown 1200. front and rear speakers are all 6.5.

Go with a good set of front components. Don't worry about the back. Its hard to recommend speakers because some sound good to some people and bad to others. It's all preference.

i wouldn't waste money on them. leave them disconnected. proper install upfront will sound fine to those sitting in the back seat.

How come you have to change them out? Just get a cheaper set if you feel you really want a set in the rears.

i was thinking 1000 with front components. reg 6.5 speakers for rear and amp to push them. i can work on the price if needed.

Have you done any sound deadening to the vehicle? If not then you need to include enough in that budget atleast for the front doors. Good sound from components is just as much about the installation as it is the speakers.

I will second the notion to spend the money on quality front components and not worrying about rear speakers. With the right speakers and the right power, there is no need to muddy up the sound by adding a second set of music sources that play the same sounds, at the same times, but at a different location and distance... Much easier to keep it simple and install/tune front's to get the desired sound.

With all that said, what kind of music do you listen to and what kind of sound are you looking to achieve with the stereo set up? I could recommend my favorite components and 5 other people could do the same, but with different crossover settings and tweeter types and mid types etc. it will be tough to pinpoint what is perfect for YOU.

I will second the notion to spend the money on quality front components and not worrying about rear speakers. With the right speakers and the right power, there is no need to muddy up the sound by adding a second set of music sources that play the same sounds, at the same times, but at a different location and distance... Much easier to keep it simple and install/tune front's to get the desired sound.

With all that said, what kind of music do you listen to and what kind of sound are you looking to achieve with the stereo set up? I could recommend my favorite components and 5 other people could do the same, but with different crossover settings and tweeter types and mid types etc. it will be tough to pinpoint what is perfect for YOU.

This ^

I would suggest you spend the money on a decent front stage, component, amp and sound deadening, and later if you really need to have the rears then buy a set of coaxial and run it off head unit power.

Recommending comps are not an easy thing as every one have different listening taste.

Some of the better/popular brands are, focal, hertz, Audison, rainbow, Dls..

Edited by StreetLegal

i listen to everything. will having just front components be enough in a big suv like the tahoe? lets just list ur top 3 component and amp combo in my price range and i can research those more

i listen to everything. will having just front components be enough in a big suv like the tahoe? lets just list ur top 3 component and amp combo in my price range and i can research those more

wont be a problem. i dont run components myself, never heard anything over some old pg rsd (~100), so i'll leave that to someone else. i would recommend you visit some local shops and listen to things on the boards.

for amps, i've seen some really nice boston acoustic amps on sale recently. also check out sds for deadening. your budget should cover cdl tiles, mlv, and ccf for the doors at the very least.

Its hard to recommend speakers because some sound good to some people and bad to others. It's all preference.a12.jpg

I'll second the Boston Acoustics GT-2125, I got one for Christmas from Sonic Electronix for $109, the GT-2200 was $149 last time I checked. Either would provide plenty of power for a set of components. I liked the Alpine Type R's I heard, but many people find them too harsh.