Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

They both fit. Not sure my thighs can take it, but we'll see!

That's what she said!

:-D

Thanks guys, sad but the details are going to be released by Wednesday. 

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Sounds like dad is gong to get a good leg work out! 

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Scored another decent deal!

600 rounds 5.56 federal american $200.67!

Sweet. Was out dickin' around today when I came across a Romanian Tokarev that was too cheap to pass up. My Eastern Bloc collection grows larger, comrade, AHHH MOTHERLAND!!!

Shit, I never knew that was used here too. 

Licensed post-WWII copies were made in the Cugir factory. Romanian forces in WWII used pretty much the same stuff as the Austrians and Hungarians, as well as WWI surplus.

Hey all, Merry Sexmas!

What did everyone get that was awesome?

I received some cool shit from myself. I started hard on analog about a month and a half ago, and I have been busy researching vinyl rigs. Now that I have most of my gear in place, I will share and ask for some advice.

Technics 1200 turntables are a really good platform to build off of, but they are older and have some shortcomings. Fortunately, Audio Technica has a mid level (for them) table that is a scary knock off of the T1200. Granted, it did need a little mod work (namely removing the internal preamp, swapping the mat from foam to cork, and swapping out the stylus. All these mods (except the cartidge/stylus) are so cheap they can almost be considered free. So I grabbed one...

smDSCN3378_zpsc6vkisbr.jpg

All mods are done at this point. I also have a Shure 97 with an avic stylus on it's way.

Thus far I have been running it on my Elite with amazing results. Thank God it has a kick ass phono stage built into it!

I also just received my first full on power tube amp today. I got an older Jolida SJ 502-A amp for a hell of a deal. I have been finding them used for ~$1000-1200 and I managed to snag one up for $650 shipped. It's a heavy fucker at ~50 pounds! The amp is absolutely pristine, so I was really fucking stoked when it arrived! I expected it to be a bit rough, but with only 600 hours on it, it is barely broken in. I took it to a local tube guru who is going to mod the unit for me. He will replace caps, resistors, and remove the balance pot as well as put in a couple new pre tubes. For those of you that remember my old AV with the glowing tubes, that was a pic of a SJ502A all lit up.

Jolidasj502a_zps5weomv5i.jpg

Now I am in the process of working on a phono stage to go with this amp. Obviously, the goal is to stick with an all analog set up. Jolida has a nice tube phono stage, but it is costly. Yaqin ms12b is a strong competitor, as is the Budgie. I thought the Belaris were decent, but I am reading a lot of bad shit about them. Even the Yaqin seems to have some negatives about it, but I see a ton of positives on audiophile sites I have been on, touting it as worth 3X it's price, comparing it to some Manley units.

Does anyone here have any input on tube phono stages that may help in my decision? I really want to keep it under $350, but I may be OK strtching it to $500

So Christmas night I get a text message that said "Ed was killed tonight in an accident"

WTF!?!?

He was my 3 third mechanic who I hired back in 2000 and I spent damn near every day with that guy at work working with him listening to his life and family stories. We were getting ready to make him a lead mechanic on the pull-up lines. 

RIP buddy!

Bummer, dude.

Nice rig Seth.

Thanks! Any advice on a preamp? The Behringer DACs you suggested were a major score (I actually currently have 3 in use and one in storage, just in case), and I am hoping for a similar score on the phono stage.

I'm up to 4 on those DACS. Regrettably I haven't used my record player in at least 15 years and am really far out of touch with what is a good buy. Wish I had something up my sleeve.

RIP Lemmy you magnificent bastard

Very sexy Seth. 

Sorry to hear about your loss Neal.  :(

Thanks guys! Sadly my caps have to be ordered, so I am without the new amp for at least a week. I did order some new speaker wires and interconnects for it, so hopefully I'll have all the new goodies here when it arrives. Believe it or not, I went with Knukonceptz Karma SS speaker cable (8Ga) and the matching banana connectors they offer in cool pearlescent white and black terminations. I spent a little more on RCAs, and I don't want to hear about it so I'll just say they are pretty. I didn't buy them because they affect sound... I'm not gullible.

I'm going to work on plans for a good rack for my analog set up. I might build a new stand for my new TV to match. Not sure if I told you guys, but my TV took a shit. I wound up grabbing a 65" Sammy SUHDTV for a fair enough deal. 4K is really kick ass. Even the upconverting of 1080i is exceptionally impressive. Anyways, I am thinking mahogany with some curly maple inlays. Not stained mahogany, just clear over the grain. IMO mahogany is so beautiful that staining it should be a sin. I have some 4/4 mahogany boards and I have several BF of 2/4 curly maple laying around the workshop. A local lumber yard also has 3/4" mahogany ply for large panels, and they always have a shit ton of 4/4 mahogany there to fill in whatever I may need.

Mahogany

115H.jpeg

Curly Maple

curly-maple.jpg

You guys think that will be a nice contrast?

I am a huge fan of cleared contrasting woods. Walnut & Curly are great together, but will probably double your wood expense. Mahogany is nice too.

What happens when you have two sexy sleds in a trailer together for a while?

Bet the little men love that.

....they reproduce of course

20151230_192359_zpsurhah3vb.jpg

Sweet! Have the kids gotten out on it yet?

I just picked it up yesterday. The boys don't know it exists yet....

They've been asking though so excitement will be huge today!