Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

2 weeks I am partaking in a global conference discussing pretty much exactly this, but in the mechanical (non-propulsion) portion of the response.  This year I am not presenting but will be at at least one if not two presentations next year.

http://gamcinc.com/gamc_new/conferences/body-congress/

Any idea when more stride in aerodynamics on bigger vehicles might be made? It seems like so much effort is focused on smaller cars than anything else.

J

It is shocking what they accomplish on big vehicles already.  Wind tunnel testing is a HUGE focus in particular on big vehicles since they are the ones that have the most ground to make up.

That's why I am curious in that department. I would imagine there is still ample room for improvement, I just want to know when and how.

J

there is VERY little room for improvement without changing size

No real room in changing the air lines, slopes of windows, angle of the grill etc to allow for better aerodynamics? What about weight reduction without compromising safety?

J

I need to go back through my books, but I'm pretty sure over 99% of fuel is burnt each cycle.

Yes, complete efficient combustion only produces 2 compounds, but there is also many other compounds in air. Nitrogen will always be present at 78% absorbing heat from combustion. The heat from combustion get's high enough to disassociate the compounds (i.e. N2 seperates into elemental Nitrogen) and then they quickly recombine creating NOx particles.

There is also wave propagation in a combustion engine. The flame starts at one location and propogates through the combustion chamber. It is extremely hard to control the beginning and end of combustion where a lot of the inefficiencies exist. Also, there is a boundary layer at the walls of the piston stealing heat from the equation. Not to mention heat does not create power; Thermal expansion creates the linear power that is converted to rotational power.

Ideal-stoichiometry.jpg

Looking at the image above you see that lean mixture results ins the best efficiency. Unfortunately lean conditions also result in the highest combustion temperatures (more fuel actually cools the combustion cylinder), the largest chance of dissociation and thus more chance of pollutants.

There is so much more that I'm missing, but it's just been too long. I can promise you there is a lot of work done to get most out of the combustion chamber with out after treatment. My professor worked on Low Temperature Combustion, where fuel is injected into a diesel engine 6 times per cycle to control the burn rate. it reduces efficiency and power but controls temperature in such a way that reduces NOx emissions.

This is efficiency in a common ICE. FWIW direct injection allows for greater control of fuel mapping, and is not hindered by the time in which fuel can be fired into a cylinder. With traditional port injection we were limited in the timing by the valve opening. Now, with DFI we can fire the injectors no matter where we are in the cycle.

While we do see 99% of all fuel burned, we also need to keep in mind that we see ~80% of our energy lost in waste heat, frictional losses, pumping losses, etc. This is not efficiency.

That is my god daughter and she scares the shit out of people.

Not sure why I can't post pictures.

2 weeks I am partaking in a global conference discussing pretty much exactly this, but in the mechanical (non-propulsion) portion of the response.  This year I am not presenting but will be at at least one if not two presentations next year.

Any idea when more stride in aerodynamics on bigger vehicles might be made? It seems like so much effort is focused on smaller cars than anything else.

J

It is shocking what they accomplish on big vehicles already.  Wind tunnel testing is a HUGE focus in particular on big vehicles since they are the ones that have the most ground to make up.

That's why I am curious in that department. I would imagine there is still ample room for improvement, I just want to know when and how.

J

No real room in changing the air lines, slopes of windows, angle of the grill etc to allow for better aerodynamics? What about weight reduction without compromising safety?

J

Do you want a truck with space in it or one that seats one person.  Aerodynamics is a really simple science compared to what they are playing with now.

Weight reduction has nothing to do with Aero.  Ford's F150 is now 100% aluminum for that exact purpose now.  A year ago a Magnesium full size sheeting plant opened as well so there are many ways of reducing mass.

That is my god daughter and she scares the shit out of people.

Not sure why I can't post pictures.

Awesome (the pic, not the fact you can't post htem).  Didn't see it last night on my phone :)

This is efficiency in a common ICE. FWIW direct injection allows for greater control of fuel mapping, and is not hindered by the time in which fuel can be fired into a cylinder. With traditional port injection we were limited in the timing by the valve opening. Now, with DFI we can fire the injectors no matter where we are in the cycle.

While we do see 99% of all fuel burned, we also need to keep in mind that we see ~80% of our energy lost in waste heat, frictional losses, pumping losses, etc. This is not efficiency.

I expect DFI to get more complicated and to have higher pressures and such in the not so distant future as well. Timing the duty cycle in such a way to control the flame front to achieve an even more thorough burn will help power and emissions but of course those are byproducts of efficiency.

J

J

J

Do you want a truck with space in it or one that seats one person.  Aerodynamics is a really simple science compared to what they are playing with now.

Weight reduction has nothing to do with Aero.  Ford's F150 is now 100% aluminum for that exact purpose now.  A year ago a Magnesium full size sheeting plant opened as well so there are many ways of reducing mass.

Just the bed and body so nobody is confused.   

Anybody know why one one computer I can quote and post pics and on another I can't?

Is there a setting I can check?

Took my daughter to the BMV this morning to get her learner's permit. Passed the test on first try :)

However, this also serves as your warning.....STAY OFF THE ROADS, THEY ARE NO LONGER SAFE

J

J

J

No but both can lead to better MPG's. Of course I want the space, I just would like it to be more fuel efficent.

J

Took my daughter to the BMV this morning to get her learner's permit. Passed the test on first try :)

However, this also serves as your warning.....STAY OFF THE ROADS, THEY ARE NO LONGER SAFE

Awesome news, congratulations!

That fucker probably got you sick.

There is a time to come in when sick, and a time when you shouldn't because you jeopardize your coworkers.

Your boss doesn't get it.

That i7 box is a killer!
Is it?

I didn't know if I had left BOINC on!? Good.

smile.png

trippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.gif

Do we win all the points?

I haven't even overclocked it yet.

Lol

There are some guys on our team that have farms that are just bonkers. One guy has a garage full of mac mini's networked.

Your i7 and pair of i5 machines and churning it out something serious. I need to count the cores we have combined. I was able to get that old Xp box up and rolling once more. The cpu is nothing special, but the GPU is hearty and chugs along are near max with out issue. I think it's the GT430, last big one that is PCI IIRC. I need to get a GPU for the i3 at my office. That chip cruises along nicely on most of the projects.

NYC for the weekend.

I expect DFI to get more complicated and to have higher pressures and such in the not so distant future as well. Timing the duty cycle in such a way to control the flame front to achieve an even more thorough burn will help power and emissions but of course those are byproducts of efficiency.

From what we are seeing the strategies are extremely diverse. Firing injectors into an already burning flamefront to boost power and cool the cylinder, to firing injectors during the power stroke to enhance performance and fire off the waste in the manifold and cats, to firing injectors late into the compression stroke for economy in a cruise situation, the possibilities are endless. But the diagnostic strategy involved in such complex fuel map schemes are daunting.

J

J

J

No but both can lead to better MPG's. Of course I want the space, I just would like it to be more fuel efficent.

J

stay out of the gas pedal. I can get 20 in my truck but average less than 11

Your i7 and pair of i5 machines and churning it out something serious. I need to count the cores we have combined. I was able to get that old Xp box up and rolling once more. The cpu is nothing special, but the GPU is hearty and chugs along are near max with out issue. I think it's the GT430, last big one that is PCI IIRC. I need to get a GPU for the i3 at my office. That chip cruises along nicely on most of the projects.

i'll have to get my machine back on it after I get internet at my new place. 

first week at cat went pretty well. operated a grader yesterday. 

live a couple blocks from where the a tornado hit last year. 

1384830078017-inidc5-6cridit38ee138to0f8

In case anyone is wondering, this is how you accidentally get shot

Little window shopping today and have narrow my brands to Ruger, Springfield, and SW.

Next week some hands on and then I will have a better idea.

The wife ask her famous question "Do it come in purple?" If there answer is yes she gets it.

Then she's getting a Ruger.