Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Looking for some tips on processing deer. This will be used in the future but it got me thinking.

We get the deer up and quartered quickly. We don't have a place to hang them overnight and probably wouldn't want to as it doesn't always get cold enough to do so.

Most people swear by putting the meat directly on ice for a few days. I've always been against it for some reason.

Just trying to make sure I'm doing my best to have some delicious meat.

first fail in that you shot too old of a deer.

I've always had animals hung but have never shot one to eat that was over 20lbs.

20lbs is a rabbit.

And exactly the biggest animal I've taken to eat.  Nice guess

Aren't deer up there born over 20lbs?

Probably.  I've never shot one though.  Nearly pet one this year in my yard though.  Thought about snagging momma...

You made me curious as I've only aged cuts I've had nothing to do with butchering initially.

This to me seems pretty much legit.  

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2006/01/deer-hang-time

Like the option of using an extra fridge at home.

To be fair, I only read the Wikipedia page and that, but stopped because I buy it.

Plus when I "butcher" pigs it starts with a carcass that has been gutted, skinned, cut in half and hung.  Pig in that format costs me $100.

Just for clarity sake:

$100

= 2 racks of babies, 2 racks of spare ribs

= 2 boston butts

= a glorious slab of pork belly

and I could go on but would pay that for just the above.

To go on would include some pork chops and a shit ton of glorious pork sausage.

I really need some free time this winter as we have none of said pork sausage in our house atm.

God damnit, people. If I hadn't weren't already, I would load up all my guns.

Edited by Penguin4x4

You made me curious as I've only aged cuts I've had nothing to do with butchering initially.

This to me seems pretty much legit.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2006/01/deer-hang-time

Like the option of using an extra fridge at home.

To be fair, I only read the Wikipedia page and that, but stopped because I buy it.

Interesting, though it will be a while before I have a place to hang one.

I'm assuming RM sets in no matter what, even if I quarter it, so 24 hours is a must wait time.

I also assume that oxygen has some effect on the aging process so being in a closed chest of ice won't help.

I wonder what it all means if you are going to grind it up anyways. Aging increases flavor but it tenderness really affected?

Love sitting in the cold rain, watching multiple does slowly wandering around, and only having a buck tag in your possession.

Maybe tomorrow will bring better luck.

Looking for some tips on processing deer. This will be used in the future but it got me thinking.

We get the deer up and quartered quickly. We don't have a place to hang them overnight and probably wouldn't want to as it doesn't always get cold enough to do so.

Most people swear by putting the meat directly on ice for a few days. I've always been against it for some reason.

Just trying to make sure I'm doing my best to have some delicious meat.

In NY if it was below about 35 and going to stay that way for 48 hrs or more, they would hang. If not, butcher immediately, and right into the freezer minus dinner.

J

40f is okay by fda standards

While I can see your point, being in the sun with extra sunshine reflecting off the snow (usually) it can severely change how the meat does while hanging. Even in the garage or barn with little 'natural' light coming in, those 5 degrees will make a huge difference.

J

It is the temp of the meat that matters...

Boat is in storage and the sleds are in the garage!  Fuck yeah.  SNOW damnit.

We have some snow in the mountains, about an 8 inch layer in places. Finally drove the Jeep to a bit more difficult sections and got a feel for wheel slip and lost traction. 

*excluding of course the $3500 computer controlled shimano shifters

Not that anyone should pay for them...or run a triple.  1x or 2x at the most.  I'm super pumped about having no front derailleur on the fat bike.  Cross shifting while slightly more efficient is annoying as hell.

Cross shifting? Bah. 

I shift from bottom to top on the front, usually within the first 40 feet, then keep shifting down the back. 

I hold cadence when I am trying to ride as fast as possible. Exactly my problem with road bikes as that is all you can do is ride fast. I want fun. My rims are en route from china and my frame should be soon.

It is the temp of the meat that matters...

I keep telling that to the side action!

ROFL.  Nice.  Makes me want to fire up the fireplace, lol.

Best Youtube vid in a very long time.

Sutures removed. Finally I can try out my new shaving set up.

Gawt dang that's a close shave. Lovin' it.

wtf Detroit.  How do you blow that lead?  Boo.

I hate shaving as well. But seeing as my facial hair does not grow in very well, it's a necessary thing for me.

J