Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Going to be spending this weekend in Rome, should be a fun little trip. It's so surreal to me that I can just hop on an hour flight and be in a completely different country. I'm loving living here in Tunisia.

18 hours ago, dem beats said:

I must have lost weight.  I just got hit on super hard.

Having a baby has been kind to me. I've lost 5-6 lbs in the last week and a half.

With the fact that we are having camera discussions

That's all I can contribute.

One last question (who am I kidding). Is a lens hood important?

21 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

One last question (who am I kidding). Is a lens hood important?

The ONLY lens I don't use one for is the 50mm.

I also don't use filters, ie lens protectors but instead shoot with a hood on ALL the time.  The exception is the 17-55 as it is prone to dust collecting on the inside without a filter so I use one, but still use the hood.  The one time I didn't of course my camera fell off the table and busted the lens.  $100 to Canon and good to go, but that experience reinforced using a hood.

*on the 50 I don't even own one...

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

That's how I feel with gun discussion

Me too...

So no filter, no hood on the 50.

I think I'm going to buy new. Too much uncertainty buying a lense I can't look through before hand.

Worse case you lose $70 right?  It isn't so bad.

The 60d is awesome btw.  Definite ridiculous amount of capability for $400.

There is one use for a filter on that lens.  If you want to shoot at 1.4 and you are outside and it is BRIGHT that isn't going to work on that body.  1/4000 isn't short enough.  A few stops of light and you will be okay though which equates to a filter or 2.

Pinewood derby car ideas?  Remember less wood = faster as tungsten in the right spot is the goal so nothing super bulky.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Worse case you lose $70 right?  It isn't so bad.

Are you saying that if I don't like it I can re sell it and lose $70 at most?

59 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Pinewood derby car ideas?  Remember less wood = faster as tungsten in the right spot is the goal so nothing super bulky.

That is a fun time! We used to polish the axles aka nails with powder graphite so the wheels spun without much friction. Then once the design was cut and smoothed out we added weight at each corner on the bottom to keep weight distribution even as possible. Little extreme, but what we don't do for our kids.

I would enjoy some pics when completed. :)

Same as above, Polish the axles and weight distribution. 

I won each of the 3 years I was in Cub Scouts.    If you have accessible to a track, play around with weight distribution.  Forward weight helps you gain speed downhill, but increases friction and causes drag quickly near the end of the track.

Most of my cars were a simple wedge design with a hole through the back which acted as a wing.  No paint.  I would finely sand and wax it as smooth as I possibly could.  Growing up in a body shop made that part easy.  

For weight we would drill holes, melt sinkers, and poor them in the body, then shave smooth.  

I know it is supposed to be a fin thing, but I'm super competitive and made sure I put everything I had into my cars to win.

As others have said, graphite is awesome.  Just make sure you use the powder and NOT the liquefied shit.

I've been looking for a no gloss solution for an interior "detailer."

I got to talking with a Megiars rep today and they suggested I yet their synthetic spray  wax.  

Now, I'm already familiar with this product as I use it after every wash inbetween sealant application.  Everyone that touches my vehicle always comments on how softand slick the paint is.

So tonight I cleaned the interior, grabbed my bottle of express wax and went to town.  I am absolutely THRILLED with the results.  The best things is, you can use it on nearly every surface save for cloth or touch screens.  As an added bonus, it provides and extra layer of protection AND U.V. inhibitors.  Did I mention it smells great too?

Here's a link for anyone interested.

Pretty cool

I use 303 Aerospace on my interior and rubber seals.

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Are you saying that if I don't like it I can re sell it and lose $70 at most?

I think of that in nearly every purchase.  Used of course you lose nothing.

2 hours ago, nem said:

That is a fun time! We used to polish the axles aka nails with powder graphite so the wheels spun without much friction. Then once the design was cut and smoothed out we added weight at each corner on the bottom to keep weight distribution even as possible. Little extreme, but what we don't do for our kids.

I would enjoy some pics when completed. :)

36 minutes ago, topgun said:

Same as above, Polish the axles and weight distribution. 

18 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I won each of the 3 years I was in Cub Scouts.    If you have accessible to a track, play around with weight distribution.  Forward weight helps you gain speed downhill, but increases friction and causes drag quickly near the end of the track.

Most of my cars were a simple wedge design with a hole through the back which acted as a wing.  No paint.  I would finely sand and wax it as smooth as I possibly could.  Growing up in a body shop made that part easy.  

For weight we would drill holes, melt sinkers, and poor them in the body, then shave smooth.  

I know it is supposed to be a fin thing, but I'm super competitive and made sure I put everything I had into my cars to win.

As others have said, graphite is awesome.  Just make sure you use the powder and NOT the liquefied shit.

:Doh: thanks, I meant ideas for the car.  Have the track figured out.  Tried not to help too much since Aidan was only in Kindergarden but won every race of the day and took home all the possible trophies he could.  Traveling one is like 3' tall, lol.

Just want it to look good this year.  Might try fenders this year...but I can't find our local rules atm.