Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Battling my BBQ nemesis. The brisket.

I'm going to try a foil wrap at the stall. I always get the meat too done. Also trying fat down and an oil the rub with a mop for the first part.

Any other tips?

Cooking the flat and point as separate roasts practically eliminates dryness.

Just spent 1k at menards and I have to do the same at home depot.....yay

Ohhh. On what?

Trim, some wood, a double door, toilets, door knobs and other finish work bullshit.

Positively boring.  

i chilled only because you asked...

I was thinking of you.  No need to get yourself worked up over that guy.

You know stupidity has reached a new level when somebody argues that an MAF sensor does not meter air flow. 

. It doesn't, it meters the mass.

Mass air flow smile.png

A bit more than the claimed "it only measures temperature" 

I guess ny sarcasm was not read.

I'm going to try a foil wrap at the stall. I always get the meat too done. Also trying fat down and an oil the rub with a mop for the first part.

Any other tips?

Why is it your nemesis.

I am a fat up no foil kind of guy...but I do not buy them trimmed, nor do I guess at when they are done.

The meat side always gets such a hard bark on it. Even at 200 the collagen is not melted but the meat is overcooked and dry. Or the fat and collagen is not melted at all and the meat is not done enough. And sometimes the bark still sucks and is pure carbon.

I have only had one brisket with a full fat cap. That on ended up on the black outside and raw middle.

You know stupidity has reached a new level when somebody argues that an MAF sensor does not meter air flow. 

. It doesn't, it meters the mass.

It measures airspeed and relative mass. Basically the reality is the ECU uses an algorithm to calculate the mass of the air based on the airspeed (and of course using a barometric pressure reading to calculate said algorithm). It typically does this by heating a film or wire and maintaining the temperature of this wire/film. Mfgs typically determine the current required to maintain this temp or the frequency required to maintain it if they opt to keep current low by using a duty cycle based heater.

In the past manufacturers used a vane air flow sensor which was a spring loaded door that used a variable resistor for sensor feedback.

X6M is a fun rig though. Aargh.

I need to test drive with you some day. I always have issues when testing the bimmers. Fucking settings. Sales guys have always been worse than my uninformed ass.

I came so fucking close to the last M3 I drove. Dbag guy couldn't get the M setting right. Almost every time I test them have been a BAD experience.

Any other tips?

Cooking the flat and point as separate roasts practically eliminates dryness.

:(

Tried that before. I am starting to rely on foil a lot.

Food is good. I just wish I didn't have to.

I really need to get a controler and make sure I am not getting hot flashes.

You get the 11 percent rebate at Menards Sean?

alright, so now i am really pissed about this site. i changed the forum skin to mobile on my phone a while back and hated it and tried to change it back and it wouldn't let me, but if i logged off the site it would change back to the desktop skin. as soon as i logged back inn it would go to mobile skin. now i get on my laptop and everything is good, then i log into the forum and the damn thing goes to the fuking mobile skin. i click thhe "change theme" and the bottom and i get absolutely nothing! Aaron, can you log in under my user name and fix this fiasco possibly??? it is really getting annoying to say the least.

I forgot to tell you guys. Had a couples shower for the wedding and I GOT A FREAKING BIG GREEN EGG!!!

I was so damn excited. I seriously have only been more surprised one time in my life.

No clue what I'm going to cook first.

I forgot to tell you guys. Had a couples shower for the wedding and I GOT A FREAKING BIG GREEN EGG!!!

I was so damn excited. I seriously have only been more surprised one time in my life.

those things are awesome! i'd really like to get me one of those.

So my new house has 2 really cool audio characteristics. One is the is an access panel where my tv will go opens right into the basement and the house is already wired with and has in wall speakers. Probably going to do something really simple there (because the potential to do something better lies upstairs.

upstairs I have a small room with a lot of angles, odd shaped and hopefully a perfect place for a projector. I also have 2 cubby areas that open up to a big storage are and I think one may be a perfect IB subwoofer space. The side of the room that will be projected onto will be up against a closet. I'm thinking of a audio transparent screen (I assume this is possible with minimal compromise) so everything will look simple but all the fire power is hidden.

Brisket was fucking dry through half of it again. I foiled it to late.

Fucker.

Any other tips?

Why is it your nemesis.

I am a fat up no foil kind of guy...but I do not buy them trimmed, nor do I guess at when they are done.

The meat side always gets such a hard bark on it. Even at 200 the collagen is not melted but the meat is overcooked and dry. Or the fat and collagen is not melted at all and the meat is not done enough. And sometimes the bark still sucks and is pure carbon.

I have only had one brisket with a full fat cap. That on ended up on the black outside and raw middle.

How long? Mine usually take 18-24hours...

You get the 11 percent rebate at Menards Sean?

WTF? No.

Arthur is going to be 7 tomorrow.  I cannot believe it.

woot.gif

The little man is growing up!

Little man is sick, so is Mark.  So I am very behind on SSA stuffs. :(

Arthur is going to be 7 tomorrow. I cannot believe it.

woot.gif

The little man is growing up!

Little man is sick, so is Mark. So I am very behind on SSA stuffs. :(

Boo he is not allowed to be sick on his birthday!

:woot:

Most of what you're describing seems to be heat related.

Are you using a dome thermo or a thermistor/thermocouple near the grate?

Have you calibrated it lately?

How does the smoke look coming out of the exhaust damper?

I'm assuming you're cooking it indirect, but how indirect? Coals off to one side? Water pan/plate setter between the food and wood? Separate firebox?

Controlling the fire is the most PITA part of BBQ.

Only reason to foil is for competition BBQ which is a whole 'nother animal altogether (pardon the pun).