Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

SETH I just searched for a quote from you so that you would see this! So I took my mothers 2.5 2003 Nissan Altima (100k miles) in because it was idling rough and would "chug" while driving. They had it for 3 days and could not get it to replicate the problem. I said fine forget it as my Mom had already bought a new car and she was just going to cut her losses and she was going to sell it. I couldn't pick it up that day and the next day I get a call that they tried to back it out of the garage and it "blew up" it made a loud sound and now it won't start. They said that the 3rd cylinder had low pressure and they didn't want to dig any deeper without permission. They said that it may have "jumped the timing chain" and that it could be an easy fix or that "the engine might need to be replaced". This car has been meticulously maintained by these idiots but I just have a hard time believing that this engine is truly done. Is there anything that you can suggest without having your hands on it? This place seems to be incompetent but they are not trying to charge to fix anything so I do not know what to make of the situation. If you can suggest anything I'd appreciate it. We are basically looking for the best way to get rid of it financially.
Basically if it were your car and you couldn't work on it yourself what would you do? We had an offer of $750 for it but it has $500 dollars worth of brand new rubber on it, and the kbb value is about 4.5k in poor condition. Should we attempt to repair and sell it, or should we just sell it as a "mechanics special"? If we try to sell it what should we expect? I completely understand if you can't give a definitive answer, I'm just looking for a ballpark.

I'd get the issue looked into by a competent mechanic before selling it. It is doubtful that it is a mechanical issue, by the sounds of things. On a Nissan I would be more inclined to believe an injector failure. Odds are they tried throwing coils and plugs on it and it didn't work. Nissans are notorious for injector issues.

I agree with Seth that is more likely something non mechanical, like an injector or bad sensor somewhere sending faulty signals to the ECM. Lazy mechanics don't want anything to do with electrical gremlins. I have repaired and sold many electric gremlin cars that I got for free.  Have you retrieved any code's from the ECM? Try resetting the ECM and see if it has any effect. When an ECM is reset it will run in limp (default) mode for X amount of mile's (usaully around 50mi) until the ECM has collected enough data to recalibrate. To reset the ECM disconnect the battery cables and hold the cable ends together. This will discharge any power stored in the ECM and clear all collected data. Make sure to retrieve any codes before discharging. Some code's are false in the sense that they point you in the right direction, but not always the actual sensor.

My mother insisted that I should offer you guys something. You both helped us a lot with the Altima and Seth my Mom said that you made it easier for her to sleep tonight knowing that it is probably something simple with the bmw and that alone made me so happy that you responded. If you guys have a favorite place to eat let me know as she and I would like to buy you guys dinner. Thanks again fellas!

Honestly that heartfelt thanks is more than enough payment. Tell her I said thanks.

Tell her to donate my cut to a charity of her choice or use it to make a difference in a kid's life. 

You guys are both awesome. I will donate 50 dollars to St. Judes and my Mom will also donate 50. Thank you both for your help. 

Seth I was able to reset the sensor by doing some goofy ass steering wheel dance in an empty parking lot, thanks again! I would have never known what to search for had you not said anything.

Thank you. :D 

The crab came out AMAZING! Used just a touch of pink Himalayan sick in the water. Clarified the butter. Did baby Russet's with Parsley and a splash of olive oil. Some steamed snow pea's and carrots and the wife's homemade bread. 

Was my first time clarifying butter. Thanks for the tip's guy's. wink.png

Found a weakness to the Protank. As I am good at putting thing's threw the pace's and finding their weaknesses. So I bought the Protank mini as it is rebuiltable.

The BHO we blew this week is SO blonde its not even funny. True earwax. Got 16 grams of return off less than 2.5 oz. Pretty f'ing good return if I say so my self. The average is around 12% return. btw for anyone doing the math.

Quit smoking I think. Haven't had a cigarette since Sunday. Still really feel the need to smoke but I think it's more out of habit than the nicotine

After 17 days you should be good! Keep it up!

Taking that Chantix, which is what helped. Didn't stop the urge but calmed it enough to allowed me to power through without killing someone

Good luck Brad. Let the force be with you. :D

The wife is very happy with her choice in color for the quartz.

I showed the wife the pictures and she said the dark looked WHY better! I be jelly brother. 

Looking seriously at gutting my kitchen and doing all new cabinets. Sort of have to if I take down a wall.

I remodeled my kitchen before I moved in.  doubled the cabinets in my house with some that I bought used. They are a close match but not to the trained eye. may reface the cabinet's when I do the Corian tops. I REALLY hate the ceramic tile.

We have quartz in our new house. This will be our first home with nice countertops.

I am really liking these, it just makes everything look soo much better.

268785_1834349738663_4586447_n.jpg

269733_1834350538683_6931926_n.jpg

Has stainless appliances now, but this was right when I moved in. 

Updated pictures or you still have white appliances! I like the size of you kitchen maybe in 2 years mine will get a little larger.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appericate it. :)

Now for some finished pictures!

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

It will be repainted this spring, but I have another job to get done today before I leave for work!

IMAG0230.jpg

Jealous. We haven't had snow in 3 weeks. Have more on the ground than that but it is hard

We are close to 26" on the ground!

Trying some wings on the egg today.

I need some help. I've got a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4x4. It's always idled a little low every once in awhile, cycling from around 550 down to 400 and shaking a little, but only every once in awhile. Now it seems to do it often and it died while idling yesterday. I need to get it fixed. Any recommendations on what is happening? It's our only car.

Jos. A Bank just scooped up Eddie Bauer for nearly a billion.

JAB has the worst men's clothing I have ever seen. I would rather shop at Kohls. I know some people are happy with them but I can't stand it.

Bugatti has $85 million worth of unsold Veyrons. May be able to get a sweet deal on one.

Can I borrow some $$$?

Almost white out here! THank god!

Watching it this morning I thought you would be happy.

Get to play in any of it?

Sled running yet?

Jos. A Bank just scooped up Eddie Bauer for nearly a billion.

JAB has the worst men's clothing I have ever seen. I would rather shop at Kohls. I know some people are happy with them but I can't stand it.

Really? I love their travelers shirt or whatever it's called.