Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Good reference picture.

I won't be going any place out of my way at all. I am looking to either start playing bass or regular guitar again, and as such am looking for what feels right. What I have in mind and what my wallet says are two different guitars (as far as bass goes) but for six string, I am uncertain what I want at this point. It's just a bunch of sitting, playing and seeing what feels right again.

J

That is Indonesian or Mexican. If there is anything "bolting" on the neck it is a sure sign. Thanks for looking. I watch CL nationwide :) ...although not often enough. If you see something when you are randomly in a store though let me know. :)

what you are after is a 'neck through' body then, got it.

J

And seriously, don't try. There are none on CL nationwide right now for less than $1800.

They are also tricky to shop for. They make something like 20 variations of the SL (soloist) and then allow custom's that change every year.

That being said, one that says "Custom" on the headstock could be even more interesting as well as depending on the equipment could have had Mike Shannon himself be supervising the build. Adds to the value and the likely hood it is a complete and straight piece. And yes, I am dumb enough to fly someplace to play a $1500 to see if I want to bring it home.

FUCK the snow!  I'm done.

That is Indonesian or Mexican. If there is anything "bolting" on the neck it is a sure sign. Thanks for looking. I watch CL nationwide smile.png ...although not often enough. If you see something when you are randomly in a store though let me know. smile.png

what you are after is a 'neck through' body then, got it.

J

Absolutely. Would actually prefer the Japanese right now for only $$ considerations. The reason I want one of these is exclusively that when I played it was the guitar I was consistently the most comfortable on. I fucking hate Strat's, I like the tone of Les Pauls and the neck is way better than a Fender, but the Jackson fucking smokes them for playability.

I also can't buy a dinky. Has to be the SL and I really don't want a Mahogany one either. Both because I am classically trained so sitting I play with a foot stool. Jackson necks let me maintain my thumb being mid neck and perpendicular much easier than other necks. That helps ton more than a wood change. Heavy wood or small body balances the car such that I cannot play it sitting.

Actually super bummed that I don't find a Rhoads comfortable sitting anymore. When I was smaller it balanced perfectly, but not as I am now. He was obviously smaller than me sad.png

I may not keep it 2 months, I may use it only as a practice guitar, but it is what I want now to start playing again. (and no, I am not waiting to find it to play)

I've got an el cheapo Ibanez bass as well. If you go real budget I think their quality is better than the rest and by a lot. I miss my old Peavey bass though, wish I never would have sold that although not as much as the upright. I have room for one now.

I doubt I could even read music anymore.

Used to be first chair saxaphone for state in grade school.

I am frickin' loving my amp setup. KILLER fat tones and still plays clean ultra sweet. Not "quick" to change between, but I'll worry about thtat later.

I doubt I could even read music anymore.

Used to be first chair saxaphone for state in grade school.

Was first chair bass in MN All State. Amusingly I never had bass lessons before that either.

After I was sort of like why not. Not sure why I didn't play upright in the battle of the bands. Thinking back a bow playing through a tube stack overdriven like hell would be bad ass.

I am actually shocked at how fast things are coming back. Don't get me wrong bar chord tone blows donkey atm, but I can rip through changes faster than I had expected.

I only played about 2/3 or my life when I had quit and that was 20 years ago.

That and my 20 year old strings won't hold a tune for shit, lol

Adjusting every song. Thank god I don't have to use a tuner though, lol

I've never actually owned one. Had to learn to tune when I was 8.

My Gibson is also SUPER obvious to me when E is in tune. I can slap new strings on it and get it SUPER close to perfect with no note being played nearby. The harmonics on that thing sustain and hang like hell.

Oh, a thru neck Jackson Star would be okay as well. Crazy Japs sold OG Jacksons under a different name once we discontinued models over here. Being I'll be in a Japan in a few weeks and the strength of the dollar I'd LOVE to buy one while I am out. My colleague that I'm travelling with will laugh as the last time I saw him I bought an amp.

And seriously, don't try. There are none on CL nationwide right now for less than $1800.They are also tricky to shop for. They make something like 20 variations of the SL (soloist) and then allow custom's that change every year.That being said, one that says "Custom" on the headstock could be even more interesting as well as depending on the equipment could have had Mike Shannon himself be supervising the build. Adds to the value and the likely hood it is a complete and straight piece. And yes, I am dumb enough to fly someplace to play a $1500 to see if I want to bring it home.

The only reason I'm going to check is because we have a few mom and pop shops in the area that sell shit dirt cheap, and quiteoften do not know what they have on their hands. As an example a 68 Gibson Les Paul was tagged for 175 because the pickups didn't work for them. The guy who picked it up after I set it down to go talk to the woman purchased it. I saw him play it a few weeks later at a show in Tampa, and spoke to him afterwards. Only thing wrong with it was a bad solder. Easily a 5k+ guitar at that price??

This is God's waiting room down here. Families clean out their relatives home's without checking into a damn thing for pennies on the dollar all the time.

J

Ha, I am taking a break from real Jazz myself. It caused me to stop playing guitar when I found it last time, I need to have a reasonable compromise atm.

Okay, not really a break but the ignoring the stuff that gives me a headache trying to figure it out.

And J, I am not opposed to a deal by any means but I am also open to something that is just priced near where it should be. Willing to lose a little if I don't own it that long as the learning experience of holding what I want and then comparing to others will be well worth it.