Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I did some undergrad research with toad calls and this has me thinking.

So if i have a toad and I wanted to see what body part is responsible for radiating their calls (mating calls) just aim this thing at it. 

Just thinking out loud a bit. I could see this verifying some observations we made.

Amusingly the sales person we had in doing the training is going to Puerto Rico on her way home to measure on frogs. Not that application though. They've done that on elephants though, the frogs is a find them in a tree application.

Frogs are also interesting since their ear drum is on the outside of the animal. Allows us to measure hearing response without killing them like we have to with other animals. Sort of hard to measure what is happening in the inner ear without access to it...

So if i have a toad and I wanted to see what body part is responsible for radiating their calls (mating calls) just aim this thing at it. 

Just thinking out loud a bit. I could see this verifying some observations we made.

Amusingly the sales person we had in doing the training is going to Puerto Rico on her way home to measure on frogs. Not that application though. They've done that on elephants though, the frogs is a find them in a tree application.

Frogs are also interesting since their ear drum is on the outside of the animal. Allows us to measure hearing response without killing them like we have to with other animals. Sort of hard to measure what is happening in the inner ear without access to it...

I was also thinking about how to using it to locate the toads as well. We studied Folwer's Toads on the east coast of VA (specifically, Assateague Island and Walops Island right next to NASA).  They only called at night in the swamps so finding them is pretty tough. I wonder how it would handle low light situations. 

I haven't read much about how they analyze the female ear, sounds interesting though.

I have read a paper that argued Bull frogs radiate some portion of their call through their tympanic membrane. I think this is the abstract. 

"Members of the Rana catesbeiana clade display sexually dimorphic eardrums. In this species assemblage the eardrum of males can be 50% larger than in females of the same body size. There has been, however, no apparent functional explanation for this dimorphism. Measurements of the acoustical coupling (transfer function) of internally generated sound to the enlarged eardrum of male bullfrogs (R. catesbeiana) show distinct energy peaks coincident with those observed in the spectral envelopes of the release and mating calls. Moreover, when the tympanic membranes are artificially damped the spectrum of the release call is drastically altered and the total amount of power radiated decreases substantially. These observations point to a previously unsuspected role for the ears in the sound broadcasting process of the bullfrog and possibly other anurans with similarly modified tympanic membranes."

Edited by lithium

idk why its bolding the end of that sentence.. 

Had dinner last night with my sister. She is 2 years older than me.

I have not seen or spoken to her in just over 10 years. When she got paroled out of prison, her and her son came to live with me. After a few months of staying there I told her to get a job or go to school. She opted to rob me blind and move out.

Once insurance replaced all the stolen items, she broke in and robbed me again.

Swore I wouldn't talk to her again. I was 21 years old when this happened.

She went back to prison not to long after that and turned her life around and is doing good.

She has 2 degrees now, owns a house, lives a normal life and helps other as her career.

Was time to bury the hatchet.

Just for reference she fit right in around my family.

I'm the white sheep in a black family. Not to say I'm an angel. I had a long juvenile record but once I was old enough to control my own life, I did.

That's nice to see.  I am about to rub a person out of my life.  Unlike your sister, she refuses to learn and grow up. 

That's nice to see.  I am about to rub a person out of my life.  Unlike your sister, she refuses to learn and grow up. 

had doubts for many years that she would ever act right. I won't get too deep in my past but my mom died when I was 13 and my dad got locked up when I was 6 for 20 years. My sister and I were all we had. Grew up on the streets pretty much. Then she got locked up when I was about 16. I has the choice to go with her or get my shit together. She live that life style for so long, its all she knew.

You're a great man Steve!

thanks dude. Been a long road but I love my life and wouldnt change my past.

thanks dude. Been a long road but I love my life and wouldnt change my past.
Wow man that is some amazing story. im glad your doing so well.

Sean D.

BM mkIV pre-ordering is open!

Today we received
the final, correct, BM mkIV prototype and pre-ordering for the BM mkIV's
is now open. We have given the official GO to our build house to finish
full production so we should have the drivers by January or February

The BM mkIV has the proper aluminum diaphragm,
correct spider, rubber surround, basket and metal color finish, etc.
Everything is where we want it. :)

We did go ahead with
the driver even though the shorting ring is not copper. The shorting
ring is brass instead of copper so the price on the mkIV will not be
$412. The price of the BM mkIV will be $398.

Pre-ordering is open right now for the BM mkIV's at $269 until November 18'th
2013 at which point the price will become $329 from then until the
drivers are in stock at/around January or February of 2014 when the
price will return to normal.

Just ordered the other half of the 20/20 experience. Listening to it on Cloud right now.  I don't know about this one, but I didn't like the first release until after a few listening sessions either. 

Others beat me to it Steve, but nice smile.png

I was also thinking about how to using it to locate the toads as well. We studied Folwer's Toads on the east coast of VA (specifically, Assateague Island and Walops Island right next to NASA).  They only called at night in the swamps so finding them is pretty tough. I wonder how it would handle low light situations.

IR camera wink.png

haha that would be pretty cool

I have not seen or spoken to her in just over 10 years. When she got paroled out of prison, her and her son came to live with me. After a few months of staying there I told her to get a job or go to school. She opted to rob me blind and move out.

She went back to prison not to long after that and turned her life around and is doing good.

She has 2 degrees now, owns a house, lives a normal life and helps other as her career.

I'm the white sheep in a black family. Not to say I'm an angel. I had a long juvenile record but once I was old enough to control my own life, I did.

thats why i was like whoa, when i seen  the pics of you two on facebook... because you had shared your past with me over beers, and i was glad to see that you were able to bury the past ...

how do you feel about it  now?

thats why i was like whoa, when i seen  the pics of you two on facebook... because you had shared your past with me over beers, and i was glad to see that you were able to bury the past ...

feels pretty good. Concidering the length of time that had passed, It was time. I miss my nephew and my sister. We have a lot of catching up to do so I think I'm gonna plan a solo trip back pretty soon and hang out with her and her son. Jon, your about the only one on ssa that can say they really know me.

feels pretty good. Concidering the length of time that had passed, It was time. I miss my nephew and my sister. We have a lot of catching up to do so I think I'm gonna plan a solo trip back pretty soon and hang out with her and her son. Jon, your about the only one on ssa that can say they really know me.

i know how firm of a man you are ( because im the same way) and im proud of you for really going out of your way to reconnect...  good shit man...

i know your good people steve, your great friend, a good father and a super husband ... coming from where were from your somone to look up to... you made it!! you broke the mold and the cycle, and its not easy...

i have no problems saying it.. i love ya man... you know that..  i know how few and far between  true friends are..

we need to get together soon man.. really.

Super cool Steve! Good thing she made a positive change, and you were willing to give it another shot.