Sign in to follow this  
frogcase2002

zcon reconing

Well went to tare down my zcon 15. Going to be reconing to a 12... and the screws holding the basket to the motor are completely striped(from ssa) any idea how I'm going to get this off? Don't really wanna go spend money on a whole buch of stuff to get his off or have to re thread the motor I don't wanna mess up anything. Going to need to put the 12 basket on when I get it

Edited by frogcase2002

You're saying that they were stripped before you messed with them? Did you buy the sub new?

Yes. Bought new and had ssa recone it last year..... right when I got the cone and everything off I seen that you could barely tell the screws are Phillips Heads anymore and some were filled with glue ( where you would put the screwdriver)

I am confused, how could it have been stripped and it held together?

I'm assuming that he means the heads are stripped.

Yes. Bought new and had ssa recone it last year..... right when I got the cone and everything off I seen that you could barely tell the screws are Phillips Heads anymore and some were filled with glue ( where you would put the screwdriver)

Oh, humm. That is really out of character. Not sure, but I believe there is a hand tool that can get around this.

Hes talking about where you put the ridges that latch to the screw driver

Anyone have this happen. Just cant seem to get it off. Screwdriver doesn't grip to the head of the screw at all. Just freely spins no mater how hard you push down

Try the impact screwdriver.

That happens when you don't use the right tools....

i don't do recones around here but they use philips?

I'm sure most to all motors do but i'm an overkill fanatic.. I would have used a countersunk allen head. That would virtually never strip.

And with allen heads, just to go even more overboard, they can be had in Class 12.9 :) which is the strongest Metric bolt you can find.

That happens when you don't use the right tools....

That's how it was before I touched it. I didn't use any tools on it.... its never been messed with untill now. It was bought new from ssa

You said it was reconed after purchased new? Was it changed to a different size? I was thinking that if it was changed in size, then maybe the screws were lock threaded in place from initial building and were a beast to remove, so they ended up stripping them and then using them again.

You said it was reconed after purchased new? Was it changed to a different size? I was thinking that if it was changed in size, then maybe the screws were lock threaded in place from initial building and were a beast to remove, so they ended up stripping them and then using them again.

It was reconed the same size. I'm really not trying to talk sh*t or anything at all... this is just going to be my first recone cause I don't wanna pay all the extra shipping and wanna learn how. And I just don't wanna mess up anything but ran into this problem

Can you post a picture?