Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Noise Pollution ticket

So I have a dick neighbor that complains everytime he hears any music. Calls the cops everyday apparently.

So they setup and undercover down the street and I got pulled over for my loud stereo.

He told me the only reason he was there was waiting for me.

He asked me how loud my stereo was, and I didnt know exactly how to answer that.

He asked me the same question about 3-4 times and I said I dont know how loud it exactly is.

Gave me a ticket that says car stereo audible over 50ft.

Ive read the noise ordinance and it says this about the subject.

"15. Radios, televisions, musical instruments and similar devices. Except as otherwise permitted for noncommercial spoken language in subsection B.8 of this section, no person shall operate, play or permit the operation or playing of any radio, television, phonograph, drum, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device that produces, reproduces or amplifies sound:

a. Between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. the following day in such a manner as to create a noise disturbance across a real property boundary or within a noise-sensitive zone, except for activities open to the public and for which a permit has been issued by the department as provided in section 15.70.070.A;

b. In such a manner as to create a noise disturbance at 50 feet (15 meters) from such device when operated in or on a boat on public waters; or

c. In such a manner as to create a noise disturbance to any person other than the operator of the device when operated on a common carrier by any passenger."

So doesn't this mean it has to be in with 10pm and 7am?

I don't really want to pay the fine, so is there anyway I can fight it?

Also 1st offense is $100, 2nd $300, and third a forfeit of your sound system.

I think the last to be very extreme considering the time, money, and effort us car audio enthusiasts put into our sound systems.

Anyways thoughts and opinions appreciated :)/>

Edited by SacredTanakh

Pay it and be more cautious. If you know that he complains turn it down when you're in the area. Turn it down at stoplights, neighborhoods, parking lots, just be considerate and you will be okay.

If your neighbor truly is just being a dick and it wasn't that loud then that sucks. Just be smart, you wouldn't want 3 violations.

And find out if the law is from 10-7 that would be the only thing to fight in my opinion.

I actually do turn it down whenever I come into my neighborhood, but I had literally just turned onto my street from the main road.

I didnt get a chance.

Also My neighbor complains if he hears ANY music, if you were to play a song on your phone speaker outside he would probably call the cops.

Anyways there no where in my area where you can go to play your stereo by those recommendations, I would literally have to drive out of town onto the highway.

well that's what the noise ordinance says, that's why I posted it above.

Edited by SacredTanakh

All I can say is be considerate of others. Just because one likes loud music doesn't mean everyone else does too. I have a neighbor who regularly cruises down my street blasting music like a thug, and I find it pretty annoying. On the other hand I have some other neighbors that are old, and have absolutely nothing better to do with their lives then make mine difficult.

I'm not sure what the laws are in Alaska, but in AZ if you fight a citation and lose then they can charge an additional percentage fee on the citation to cover the court time.

IE: $250 ticket now becomes $325

Best thing to do is be respectful with your stereo so as to not disturb others, regardless of the law. It shouldn't need to be written into statutes, it's common courtesy.

As a first step I would see if it was possible to contact the local PD, explain to them your understanding of the law and ask them (politely) to clarify so you better understand. That said if you go to court, I have a hard time believing you'd find a judge to side with you if the stereo was clearly and disruptively loud outside of the vehicle.....you probably deserved the ticket.

500 bucks first offince where i am....

and in fla the impound your car... so.

i know a city here in texas is acctually looking into a system where they take your stereo from you on your second offince

500 bucks first offince where i am.... and in fla the impound your car... so. i know a city here in texas is acctually looking into a system where they take your stereo from you on your second offince

And you can thank all of those who don't operate their stereo in a respectful manor for the increasingly harsh penalties. Though on the flip side, if you're applying common sense to the use of your stereo you shouldn't be in a situation where you end up getting in trouble with it anyways.....

Florida is riddled with asshats. :P

I was just reading an article about Florida noise ordinances, and this article is a little older but actually in DEC 2012 he won in the florida supreme court.

So the ordinances are changing and the police departments are starting to not give tickets for such things according to the few things Ive looked at.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/florida-noise-law-falls-victim-to-lawyers-crusade/1169129

EDIT: found the update

http://www.ceoutlook.com/2012/12/14/car-audio-wins-in-florida-supreme-court/

Just what Ive read, idk if you are aware of this or not. But yeah if it is true, You guys are getting pretty lucky. :)/>

oh and 500$ is wayyy excessive for something like this, sucks for texas. :P

Also I agree that bass can be quite annoying if its constant but If I'm driving on a main road, you are going to hear it for what 30-40 seconds max?

Thats my issue with it, I dont want to piss people off I just want to listen to some bass once in awhile.

Edited by SacredTanakh

IT's true man. I got family down there and when i leave SBN next month, they are expecting me to slam the city down, lol.

We still respect surroundings. IT would be stupid to force the whole community to listen to what few love.

One thing I am wondering is how did that cop decide your stereo was loud. There should be metered proof, not a "heard" one.

You can be listening to a tune on a stock radio and still get a ticket if the cop is in a bad mood. 50ft is not much.

Florida is super lucky, but if Florida supreme court determined that not allowing stereos to be played loudly violated our 1st amendment rights. You could try to use this to fight your ticket not sure how far you would get though, also normally if your cool with the cop the cop will be nice to you (at least where I live) Was pulled over for failure to stop at a stop sign, and failure to use a turn signal.

Was 100% honest with the cop and he let me slide, they might try to appear to be hard asses on the outside but being respectful with them can go a long way.

(Not saying you were disrespectful) Simply replying, "Honestly it was a lot louder then I should of been playing it" Could of made all the difference at the same time its also self incriminating kinda just have to roll the dice

One thing I am wondering is how did that cop decide your stereo was loud. There should be metered proof, not a "heard" one.

You can be listening to a tune on a stock radio and still get a ticket if the cop is in a bad mood. 50ft is not much.

If a Cop sees you punch a man in the face, they don't require a video recording they simply take the cops word. Kinda the same concept

Well this is BS. :) If a cop sees me going to fast, but doesn't show a record of the speed, can he still write a ticket? Kinda the same concept.

Well this is BS. :)/> If a cop sees me going to fast, but doesn't show a record of the speed, can he still write a ticket? Kinda the same concept.

Yes, you are right because he will say i had to do so and so speed to catchspeed up to him.

why are you playing your music so loud by your house?

thats how stuff gets stolen

you know your neighbor freaks out

so i ask again, why are you playing your music so loud by your house?

why are you playing your music so loud in a city

that has time to undercover camp and wait for you?

I hate to say it but, you deserve a ticket

Better than getting robbed in the middle of the night

500 bucks first offince where i am.... and in fla the impound your car... so. i know a city here in texas is acctually looking into a system where they take your stereo from you on your second offince

I thought florida got rid of their sound violations

and Ive heard of cops slashing surrounds like fu

It should be like Louisiana. If you are with in one mile of your home it is considered a felony and they bring your ass to jail.

Also I agree that bass can be quite annoying if its constant but If I'm driving on a main road, you are going to hear it for what 30-40 seconds max?

You assume you are the only person with a stereo heard from outside of the vehicle driving down the road? That's the problem. It's not just you.

One thing I am wondering is how did that cop decide your stereo was loud. There should be metered proof, not a "heard" one. You can be listening to a tune on a stock radio and still get a ticket if the cop is in a bad mood. 50ft is not much.

Several years ago the son of a lady I worked with got a noise violation with a completely stock stereo in a late 80's style Cougar, which was obviously nothing special especially stock. So yeah, it happens.

It should be like Louisiana. If you are with in one mile of your home it is considered a felony and they bring your ass to jail.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard today. I wonder how many lives that ruins every year.

"Well you look like a great candidate for this job... oh wait, it says here you're a felon. Sorry."

I've fought two tickets and won. One was in an industrial area, like concrete plants etc. Same rules applied, 10pm to 7am. Next one was on highway outside of city limits in which no noise laws apply. I say fight it.

Until there's law to quite bikes, cars, trucks, semi's etc, I think it's a law that shouldn't be enforced on a select few. Granted don't do the shit in a neighborhood. There's a fucker who goes down my road every night, as soon as the Blazer is built, I'm going to park in front of his house a fawk his shit up.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard today. I wonder how many lives that ruins every year.

"Well you look like a great candidate for this job... oh wait, it says here you're a felon. Sorry."

We just live in different worlds that's all. Where I'm from we are taught to say yes ma'am, no sir, and how to respect other people. Playing music music or any other thing like loud pipes on trucks or bikes especially in an area where people live is disrespect and its not tolerated.

I use to go to the local car audio shop we have in my town and once a week they everyone would meet up metered thier systems for free and tune them. then one time we showed up did our normal thing and the cops showed up saying we were causing noise pollution and told us the same crap about times and we tired to argue the fact that we were in the time zone that it was ok to be loud. The owner still got a ticket cause even though we were in the allowed time zone it still bothered someone enough to call the cops and that the only way we could continue to do this every week was if we got a permit for it.