Sign in to follow this  
Canucknoob

Dead set on purchasing Fi Q12 but question...

At the end of this month I will be purchasing an Fi Q12 for the great north. It will be installed in a 2005 jimmy 2door with lots of room. Atm I plan on using a Sounqubed Q1-1200D.

At 2 ohms it states 870x1 at 2ohms and 1470 at 1ohm. Im wondering do you think running it at 2ohms will give the Q12 enough power that it sounds good and not sluggish or do

I have to go at 1ohm. Will running it at 1ohm take away some of the reponse/clearness of the Bass? Should I go with the Q1-2200D for 2ohm? Would rather not do that as it is almost 200 bucks more.

planning on using a ported box unless you have a better suggestion. Thnx.

This is the beginning of a new build. Other components include:

Hertz HSK 165 6.5 component up front (heard them and was amazed on clarity)

Soundqubed Q4-120

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Components and head unit not set in stone yet but are my choices atm. Ordering amp/sub end of this month. Been reading and looking for over a month now and Have decided

for sure on the FI Q12 and SQ amps. Quality/price/reviews and comparing to other products help me make this decision. Any awesome box designs available specific to the Q12

for an SUV lol, just thowing that out there. Thank you for your time.

The 1200 will be fine at 1 ohm for the Q. How come a 12? If you have more room, why not a bigger size sub?

I was looking for hard hitting but with quick response as I listen to ALL types of music. Club type stuff on highway usually where I really like to crank it. I have been told that the

bigger you go the slower response to the next note. I'm not very knowledgeable but am reading / researching a lot recently to educate myself more. Since the late 90's

I've only had 2 OK systems as I was in school and starting my career. Now I have the budget and time to get back in the stereo game which make me adhd.gifadhd.gifadhd.gif . Would

a 15 or 18 just be louder? Would it produce better lows? Sorry if my questions hurt your head.

Nope they dont hurt ny head lol. Go with the biggest size you can. You wont get a sloppier sound from any bigger size. Its a myth! Usually a bigger sub will have a lower fs than the smaller models. I think that does make it produce better lows but not entirely sure.

LOL ok guess ill look into the 15 or 18. Need to find a box design now. Gonna build it after I make my order while I wait. Now for type of box. Ported or sealed? or even

a T-Line maybe ?? Gonna be playing all types of music. Want clear bass that sounds good over SPL. I was thinking sealed.

Never made a box before and would have to locate some designs. I believe I have the skills to build one as they don't seem difficult to build. I have done construction, finishing construction, Counter tops and made my own wood furniture. Really just don't know how to figure out the correct dimensions for

air space etc.

Edited by Canucknoob

the Pioneer DEH-80PRS is an active capable headunit so do you plan to use those features in the future? if not then i dont really see a reason for buying the unit. could save some cash

you haven't mentioned sound deadening yet, check out sounddeadenershowdown.com

LOL ok guess ill look into the 15 or 18. Need to find a box design ported now. Gonna build it after I make my order while I wait. Now for type of box. Ported or sealed? or even

a T-Line maybe ?? Gonna be playing all types of music. Want clear bass that sounds good over SPL. I was thinking sealed.

what kind of space do you have? ported boxes sound great when designed correctly. t-line is a joke, don't bother.

figure out your max dimensions you can see what size sub/ box combo will fit.

LOL ok guess ill look into the 15 or 18. Need to find a box design now. Gonna build it after I make my order while I wait. Now for type of box. Ported or sealed? or even

Never made a box before and would have to locate some designs. I believe I have the skills to build one as they don't seem difficult to build. I have done construction, finishing construction, Counter tops and made my own wood furniture. Really just don't know how to figure out the correct dimensions for

air space etc.

Ported can sound great, and will provide more output. Why are you "dead set" on the Q?

It's going into a 2005 jimmy with nothing else in it but the 2 amps. Figured space for one sub wouldn't be an issue. Figured whatever design would be best would fit in there as

there is lots of room.

Pioneer DEH-80PR was one that was recommended to me. I like that it has all those features and where I am it is cheap money wise. I was originally looking at some Alpine and kenwod decks in the 400-700 range with less features but pretty looking. thought I was getting much more for my buck with the Pioneer. I havn't even considered sound deadening yet.

Edited by Canucknoob

Id say a regular ported box designed by someone who knows what theyre doing would be the be way to go.

I would recommend JWH Enclosures, you can find him on Facebook.

It's going into a 2005 jimmy with nothing else in it but the 2 amps. Figured space for one sub wouldn't be an issue. Figured whatever design would be best would fit in there as

there is lots of room.

Pioneer DEH-80PR was one that was recommended to me. I like that it has all those features and where I am it is cheap money wise. I was originally looking at some Alpine and kenwod decks in the 400-700 range with less features but pretty looking. thought I was getting much more for my buck with the Pioneer. I havn't even considered sound deadening yet.

the pioneer is a great deck so if you have the cash then get it but dont skimp out on the install (sound deadening being one of the most important parts)

I have decided on the Q because eventually you have to make a decision. I looked at many different woofers. I read and checked reviews on many different woofers and would

pick one then change mind, pick then changed mind as I read more and and found more information on products I would like and dislike. RE being one that I thought was

great but then read on the changing of ownership, customer service and quality. Information/reviews and prices brought me to really liking the Fi Q or the ICON 12. They both

seem to be great products and I believe I would be happy with either. With those two being my final options I went with my gut and decided on the Q.

I looked/read on RE, DD, Sundown, RF, soundstream, JL and many others. Some of those I looked at because back in the late 90's/ early 2000's when I was more up to date

with car audio products they were regarded as good products. Reading and researching car audio today surprised me. I was blown away How MB quartz went down hill like that.

When I was younger that's all anyone talked about. MB quartz or its garbage. speaker wise lol. O phoenix gold as well lol.

Well its nice to see people actually research products first before posting. Makes it easier on us to help and you get better help too. I think you narrowed it down to two very greay subs. Cant lose with either one.

the q12 or q15 will be plenty for your needs and you will b e happy with your choice... ive had my q's for 5 yrs never a problem.... just make sure to build the right enclosure for it if you say you have the room build a max sized enclosure for whaterver size woofer you do choose. i dont think you wll be dissapointed just because this woofer says its a sq driver, this thing gets down and moves alot

I know a couple people recommended a 15 or 18 since I have the room but I think I'll stick with the Q12. Will leave me more room for stuff for camping and trips lol. I believe it

will provide me with enough bump for my needs. Not trying to compete in SPL comps obviously. I think the Q12 will be loud enough for when I want to feel the bass. If not guess

ill just have to buy another Q1-1200D and Q12. lol. Anyone know any good box builders in Canada and if not in the north central/North west US? Closer the better as shipping costs on a box may get expensive and not worth it. Or design specific to a Q12 ported so I can build it. I don't have the knowledge to design my own.

i thought the Q is more of a low end sub

for your music taste i think the BL would be a better choice

What are the major differences between then 2? I read the Q is the sound quality reference line and the BL is more SPL/Daily driver? I thought this meant the BL would be for people more 

interested in louder over clearer. Does the BL have tighter higher pitched bass then the Q? They are the same price so did you mean "low end sub" for bass wise?

What are the major differences between then 2? I read the Q is the sound quality reference line and the BL is more SPL/Daily driver? I thought this meant the BL would be for people more 

interested in louder over clearer. Does the BL have tighter higher pitched bass then the Q? They are the same price so did you mean "low end sub" for bass wise?

im just looking at the diff in xmax

18mm BL  vs. 28mm Q

im no pro but my guess is theres a tighter response from the BL

theres a vs thread on here for the subs in question too

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/46403-fi-q-vs-fi-bl/

The Q will performs great for all music types.  My pair of Q 12's can dig deep and play the low stuff with authority as well as they can reproduce the tightest bass drum beats and bass guitar riffs (right word? I'm no musician.) without a problem.  They're very responsive subs that don't have a problem playing all sorts of music.  Their response will depend more on the design of the enclosure than it will on anything else.

Sign in to follow this