Truconcept

Do you know a good speaker kill switch?

Duh, turn your car around backwards shut off the lights and open the doors. Or you could waste money and do what you propose.

What part of electrical switch can't you figure out? Seems to me you posted this to excite people, not to actually do this. Question is too simple to be real.

like i said....

i cannot have the doors open with the key in the ignition without hearing the door chime

what kind of mod don't read the entire thread before posting

you would love if i made topics to troll but sorry you're out of luck today

As for the too "simple a question" argument you have typed....

I looked at some switches at radio shack and almost all had 4-6 inputs on them

Idk if there is some specific switch in the car audio world that people use so excuse me

How about trying to answer the question M5, since it is so simple

You need a single pole switch. Personally I'd use it to allow power to my headunit so I could open the doors without chimes.

I take it that you run amplifiers for your mids and highs ... If so, I would not change anything with that to run a separate driver outside the vehicle ...

You may take a chance of hurting your amplifiers.

My Suggestion would be to (if you have them) use the radio power (rears) on your headunit ... that way you can fade them in and out without changing anything to your primary setup ...

I'm pretty sure you just need a toggle switch from autozone. I think I understand what your doing.

I'm pretty sure you just need a toggle switch from autozone. I think I understand what your doing.

Pepboys, autozone, radioshack, you can buy a toggle switch from any of them.  Better off just ordering one off Ebay, as I saw a few switches for like $15 each at pepboys

Nvm radioshack has them for a decent price

Edited by DanP

thanks ill print that and take it up there

the manager didn't know anything

i wish it were blue tho lol

I take it that you run amplifiers for your mids and highs ... If so, I would not change anything with that to run a separate driver outside the vehicle ...

My Suggestion would be to (if you have them) use the radio power (rears) on your headunit ... that way you can fade them in and out without changing anything to your primary setup ...

yes i do and one of my high are currently blown and disconnected so i was thinking of wiring it in there

i understand the risk of mis matching speakers so im skeptical however i would only be running for the movie so 2-3 hours and nowhere near full tilt

i like the idea of wiring it to the headunit rear as i have all speakers front anyways

my luck i would leave the outside speaker turnt up on accident and geta ticket lulz

Duh, turn your car around backwards shut off the lights and open the doors. Or you could waste money and do what you propose.

What part of electrical switch can't you figure out? Seems to me you posted this to excite people, not to actually do this. Question is too simple to be real.

like i said....

i cannot have the doors open with the key in the ignition without hearing the door chime

Idk if there is some specific switch in the car audio world that people use so excuse me

You need a single pole switch. Personally I'd use it to allow power to my headunit so I could open the doors without chimes.

nice idea but like i said earlier....

me and my friends do not want 2 be sitting behind a car

especially one that has the doors open

Pepboys, autozone, radioshack, you can buy a toggle switch from any of them.  Better off just ordering one off Ebay, as I saw a few switches for like $15 each at pepboys

fing34.gif  

Nvm radioshack has them for a decent price

Yea that's why I said autozone, because my friend needed like 4 for his jeep. He had a lot of aftermarket lights. He cut holes in his dash and mounted them in. He did a pretty good job.

thanks ill print that and take it up there

the manager didn't know anything

i wish it were blue tho lol

yes i do and one of my high are currently blown and disconnected so i was thinking of wiring it in there

i understand the risk of mis matching speakers so im skeptical however i would only be running for the movie so 2-3 hours and nowhere near full tilt

i like the idea of wiring it to the headunit rear as i have all speakers front anyways

my luck i would leave the outside speaker turnt up on accident and geta ticket lulz

like i said....

nice idea but like i said earlier....

me and my friends do not want 2 be sitting behind a car

especially one that has the doors open

And adding a marine speaker under the hood is more logical than parking backwards? Nice.

cool to us out here is never logical

Edited by Truconcept

do u have any idea how many guys are gonna be more inclined 2 buy my used gear

if they see some shit like what im doing?

and i dont mean online sales i mean friends of friends

i'm talking about in my world of course not yours

I certainly understand you point OP.  I know I don't have to tell you this, but do what you like.  It may be good, it may be bad, but no one has ever evolved by doing the same ole.  There have been many great ideas come about from someone trying something off the wall or just different.

As previously stated, you should be able to locate a switch like you are looking for from any parts house, Autozonoe, Advance, NAPA, etc.  They usually have a pretty good selection and I'm betting you can probably find one in blue.  :)

Also, as someone previously stated, I don't think I would put a switch on the speaker wire itself.  If you have the option, I would put it in the circuit with the remote wire for that particular amp and just turn off the amp.  Even though it will work on the speaker wire, its just something I don't consider a good practice.

Best of luck on your project.

You don't need to sit behind the car, back into the parking space.  As far as the door chimes, look at the door jam and see if it has a switch there.  A lot of newer cars put the switches in the door latch and all you have to do is take a screwdriver and push the latch back as if the door was shut and the lights/chimes stop.  Then just pull the handle and it will pop the latch back open so the door can shut correctly.  I do it all the time in my '07 Chevy 2500 work truck so that I can listen to the radio with the doors open while working on meters, transmitters, valves, etc. on our pipeline without the damn chime going on constantly.  Just have to remember to pull the handle and open the latch back up before closing the door, that really sounds bad if you don't, lol.

If it does have a switch in the door jamb, just find a simple little wood block or something to wedge in there and hold the switch in, voila same thing as above the chimes are defeated.

You don't need to sit behind the car, back into the parking space.  As far as the door chimes, look at the door jam and see if it has a switch there.  A lot of newer cars put the switches in the door latch and all you have to do is take a screwdriver and push the latch back as if the door was shut and the lights/chimes stop.  Then just pull the handle and it will pop the latch back open so the door can shut correctly.  I do it all the time in my '07 Chevy 2500 work truck so that I can listen to the radio with the doors open while working on meters, transmitters, valves, etc. on our pipeline without the damn chime going on constantly.  Just have to remember to pull the handle and open the latch back up before closing the door, that really sounds bad if you don't, lol.

If this guy doesn't know how to wire a switch, do you expect him to think so outside of the box and lock his switch? Or take the buzzer out? He won't be cool in front of his buddies.

I can take pictures of my trucks if you like, the Jimmy has the switches in the jam, and as I mentioned before the big truck doesn't.

do u have any idea how many guys are gonna be more inclined 2 buy my used gear

if they see some shit like what im doing?

and i dont mean online sales i mean friends of friends

i'm talking about in my world of course not yours

Ur sooo rad bro, can I be your friend and hang out with you?

forsure!!

i have added you as a friend on here

your location is pretty far from the USA but i visit district 9 sometimes

If this guy doesn't know how to wire a switch, do you expect him to think so outside of the box and lock his switch? Or take the buzzer out? He won't be cool in front of his buddies.

I have never tried 2 wire a switch

and when I went to buy one to try there was 15 drawers of different kinds

most of which has alot of inputs and outputs

I certainly understand you point OP.  I know I don't have to tell you this, but do what you like.  It may be good, it may be bad, but no one has ever evolved by doing the same ole.  There have been many great ideas come about from someone trying something off the wall or just different.

As previously stated, you should be able to locate a switch like you are looking for from any parts house, Autozonoe, Advance, NAPA, etc.  They usually have a pretty good selection and I'm betting you can probably find one in blue.  smile.png

Also, as someone previously stated, I don't think I would put a switch on the speaker wire itself.  If you have the option, I would put it in the circuit with the remote wire for that particular amp and just turn off the amp.  Even though it will work on the speaker wire, its just something I don't consider a good practice.

I still don't understand the problem with this.  As long as it's not being switched with any real power on it there shouldn't be an issue.

I used to have a test rig for installing speakers/components/etc. that had six double pole/double throw and four double pole/single throw non-shorting switches mounted in a box with long pigtails in it that allowed me to connect it between the amp/speakers or crossover/speakers to do instant phase reversing on individual drivers from the drivers seat.  Never had any issues doing that, though I did use high quality switches and would turn it down before making the switch anyway.  Made an instant and easy way to test phase relationships in a car, I should really build another one now that I think about it.

I can take pictures of my trucks if you like, the Jimmy has the switches in the jam, and as I mentioned before the big truck doesn't.

thanks i will pm after i purchase the stuff and begin install

i am going to wait til it is a little warmer

i could try jamming the door but my cars a 1999 so i don't want to be jammin on it

tbh guys killing the door chime is a bad idea

i have not looked into it but i am quite sure it is beyond my skills

i get very nervous when messing with stuff un-car audio related

and i will not lie there is a chance i could be turning

the speaker on for music play atparking lot ricer events

i want to be the coolest

As previously stated, you should be able to locate a switch like you are looking for from any parts house, Autozonoe, Advance, NAPA, etc.  They usually have a pretty good selection and I'm betting you can probably find one in blue.  smile.png

I still don't understand the problem with this.  As long as it's not being switched with any real power on it there shouldn't be an issue.

I used to have a test rig for installing speakers/components/etc. that had six double pole/double throw and four double pole/single throw non-shorting switches mounted in a box with long pigtails in it that allowed me to connect it between the amp/speakers or crossover/speakers to do instant phase reversing on individual drivers.  Never had any issues doing that, though I did use high quality switches and would turn it down before making the switch anyway.  Made an instant and easy way to test phase relationships in a car.

As I state, it can be done.  I usually just don't recommend it to anyone because of the chance of making a mistake.  Constant 12v, remote power, etc. usually (always should) have a fuse inline.  If something shorts to ground you have a fuse to bail you out.  This is not the case on speaker wires.  If the amp were under power and somehow the switch was accidently hooked up wrong, or the exposed prongs were not properly protected and it shorted, depending on internal fusing of the amp, you could cost yourself a lot of money.

If you are careful, it certainly can be done.  I just don't recommend it because of the possiblity of damaging something.

i could try jamming the door but my cars a 1999 so i don't want to be jammin on it

i want to be the coolest

.jpg

Have you tried just parking backwards with the windows down, and hatch open? What car is this?

i want to be the coolest

OR You could just pull the fuse, for the door chime, assuming on your car it isn't associated with the radio.  I know on my Jeep it isn't.

Edited by DanP

i want to be the coolest

OR You could just pull the fuse, for the door chime, assuming on your car it isn't associated with the radio.  I know on my Jeep it isn't.

.jpg

That's a good idea. Check the glovebox area and panel cover of the fuse box for diagram.

If you use bazooka marine 6.5's I have some ABS vacuum formed enclosures I can ship to you.

If you want to use only one amp it can be done with relays.

hmm so removing the fuse for that particular door chime

will not cause any crazy random voltage drops to occur?

im sure theres some other stuff tied into that fuse too

i will look into that

i kinda like the idea of sitting infront of the trunk

so the bass be closer

Just remove the chime.