Adrian_D

Midbass selection

I'm looking for midbass speakers for an install. 

Processing: more than likely a minidsp

Power: will be chosen once the midbass is picked out. 

Midrange speakers: TB W3 or W4, so I imagine 300-400 Hz is the LP for midbass

Depth: 3", although I might can stretch it to 4". It's going ON the doors of a Mercedes W124, I'm unsure how much I can cut into the door and go back, so the shallower, the better. 

Overkill is the main goal here, that's how the owner does everything on the car :)

The midbass will be attached to the door by means of a plywood "box" and vented in the door. 

High-ish output is desired and this had me thinking about a pair of 6.5-7" midbass / door. The SLS 8 was the first choice but it's way too deep. SLS 6.5 is also stretching the depth. 

There's a company who builds an XBL^2 midbass, I can't remember the name, IIRC those were not too deep. 

Hit me with some ideas :)

I've got a pair of Mach 5 MLI's, if I could source another pair it would be stellar. 

Is that other company GR Research?

Exodus EX-Anarchy from DIYCable?

GR Research and Exodus.  The GR  XBL^2 version is pushing the depth but the regular version seems better. And good value apparently. 

If you went with the Exodus than you'd have a lot of headroom for crossover and slope selection, but may be sacrificing some midbass output verse using a dedicated driver designed for such.

I currently have mine in IB, and they do well. Coming from enclosures their midbass output did drop a bit, but they still pack that "punch."

The Exodus seems expensive since I want to put 2 per door. 

Could experiment with a shallow 10" sub

Could experiment with a shallow 10" sub

I think I remember seeing a thread on Diyma of someone using a 8"+ driver in their Mercedes door. That could be so sweet.

Yes, shallow 10 would be a great idea, any clue on models?

If you went with the Exodus than you'd have a lot of headroom for crossover and slope selection, but may be sacrificing some midbass output verse using a dedicated driver designed for such.

I currently have mine in IB, and they do well. Coming from enclosures their midbass output did drop a bit, but they still pack that "punch."

you have a vid of your front stage in action.. you kinda disappeared stef.... just wanna see the updates bro!

Yes, shallow 10 would be a great idea, any clue on models?

Peerless SLS 10's! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

you have a vid of your front stage in action.. you kinda disappeared stef.... just wanna see the updates bro!

Wouldn't that be a bit oxymoronic? :)

I have a few posts at the end: http://blog.stefanhinote.com/

only shallow 10s i can think of, off the top of my head, are the dayton and TB on partsexpress. 

cant find the daytons, must not carry them any longer. 

TB's http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-862

Edited by lithium

Sorry figured you'd zone in on the tb's. Not ideal but they are thin,have cone area and exxcursion and you'll have plenty of eq to help them.

I do not know of any shallow mount 10" that will preform optimally as a midbass. Which drivers are you looking at?

Your options for midbass really open up if you can sqeeze an 8" in your door with under 4" mounting depth.

I am using JL ZR800's and they are sounding great in my install. I was giving a demo yesterday and the listener was amazed to feel midbass and impact from my front stage. He thought music was only felt from subs ;)

If 6.5" are your only option, check out offerings from Silver Flute when your browsing around.

I do not know of any shallow mount 10" that will preform optimally as a midbass. Which drivers are you looking at?

TB in a very small box should be fine.

WT-1427G is that the one you are referring to? If so that looks like the only 10" shallow that has specs that maybe suitable for midbass. Would you be concerned about it's low sensitivity when used in this install (small sealed) for this purpose?

WT-1427G is that the one you are referring to? If so that looks like the only 10" shallow that has specs that maybe suitable for midbass. Would you be concerned about it's low sensitivity when used in this install (small sealed) for this purpose?

Mated with a 25w midrange that is only mid 80's as well?? No.

The only way you'll gain output potential is to reduce how low it can play. Considering the near point source on top that'd be a shame to have to move the bass back to the sub IMO. Of course, the listening preference of Adrian's friend and mine may not coincide. So yes, more output can be had with a pair of 7's, but likely not as low and they'll over power the top end then. Changing the top to an array of 2's or 3's can solve this if high-ish output is really necessary.

The TB does look nice enough and definitely fits. ZR800's are over budget :(

The "box" (note the quotation marks) will be vented in the door so the midbass will work IB. It won't even have a panel behind the speaker, I'm just going to attach it to the door.

Actual surface is not an issue since the door panel will get cut. It's a pretty simple door panel so having a big speaker or multiples will work good for the overkill image. Ignoring depth, I could fit 2 6.5's or 2 8's no problem.

At this point finding another set of Mach 5 MLI's would be a good idea since I already have a pair. 

Still open to suggestions smile.png

<- has a set of Mach 5's you can have.

I know you used quotes, but if you use the TB my recommendation from a 2 second look was to actually seal it.

fosgate p3s if they still make em....those are shallow mount subs,  not too sure how they would do in ur install but its a sugestion

I was thinking about this thread when I saw this Silver Flute review just now on DIYMA.

I mentioned them on a previous post. Did you look at these yet?

my experience with those is meh. On particular for Adrian's need playing only up to 300hz. For the $ they are nice but I'd be more interestd in them with a budget large format tweet and an el cheapo passive for a sleeper comp set. That being said they are better mids than I've ever seen in a sub $200 comp set...maybe even $300

I was thinking about this thread when I saw this Silver Flute review just now on DIYMA.

my experience with those is meh. On particular for Adrian's need playing only up to 300hz. For the $ they are nice but I'd be more interestd in them with a budget large format tweet and an el cheapo passive for a sleeper comp set. That being said they are better mids than I've ever seen in a sub $200 comp set...maybe even $300

What specific 6.5-7" driver do you recommend based on the ops requirements that he listed in his opening statement? 

What specific 6.5-7" driver do you recommend based on the ops requirements that he listed in his opening statement?

It was for dual 7's that weren't deep or something that took the same space. I've already offered up my MLi's which are definitely better midbasses than the Silver Flutes and a 10" option that will kill them. There are other 7's as well. Exodus Anarchy is a helluva midbass for a 7 with under 4" (more than 3 yes) of mounting depth. Front stage wise though I generally would always prefer a single driver for any frequency range.