All the old guys in here will recognize the old beauties, I scored a Carver M-2060 and an M-4060. Running in perfect shape and loving every second of looking at them. Will be installing soon, but I'm trying to decide whether or not to run both amps to an active 3 way setup, or should I just run 2 way and use the 2 channel for my other car's front stage (passive), any opinions? Plans are a pair of DP 12's or 15's in the trunk of an 88 Cadillac Eldorado. Front stage is what I'm trying to decide on. Probably looking at Helix's 2 or 3 way Competition Series Components.

Never heard of it before

go with second option... :-)

I have never heard of carver and by scored do you mean that you won them?

All the old guys in here will recognize the old beauties, I scored a Carver M-2060 and an M-4060. Running in perfect shape and loving every second of looking at them. Will be installing soon, but I'm trying to decide whether or not to run both amps to an active 3 way setup, or should I just run 2 way and use the 2 channel for my other car's front stage (passive), any opinions? Plans are a pair of DP 12's or 15's in the trunk of an 88 Cadillac Eldorado. Front stage is what I'm trying to decide on. Probably looking at Helix's 2 or 3 way Competition Series Components.

Would you buy components if you chose to have an active front stage?

What are you looking for in your setup is the main question. Do you prefer active or passive setups? Have you tried them both before?

Most of his old stuff is not considered high end. He mainly designed mass marketed type product that was affordable.

He has made some pretty bad ass tube amps and other stuff in recent years. But the older stuff is just good, akin to alpine or JL, not really hifi

I'd be running components without the crossovers. Reason being my brands to use are limited. Helix, Audison, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Brax (LOL can't afford that shit). They aren't some super incredible pieces (the Carvers), I'm just a big fan of those specific amplifiers and I'm getting them in a trade. I love me some old school car stereo. I'd rather run active, probably using an Audison bitOne.

Edit: Looking like accommodation on the Helix Comp 3 ways are a little too pricy for my project so I'll be running the Comp 2 ways unless someone has a better option. Price range is around $500 for front stage.

Edited by gprestonmoto

Raw drivers. Be absolutely stupid to buy a comp set and run it active. Suggestions are dependent on install locations which is another reason to not buy a comp set.

^^ I love this cat. Was going to be fiberglassing mid bass into the door and putting tweeters in the A Pillars. Car is a 1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz if that's any help.

This is a stock photo of the interior, just different color.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/images/0016/96/96/16196969_large.jpg

Edited by gprestonmoto

Err, depends. Need to design a system. I'm at my gate about to disappear for 2 weeks but will chekc in when I get back.

Thanks for the help bro I appreciate it. Right now I'm looking at making a pair of Dayton Audio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofers (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-372) fit the door stock location. Should just need some baffles. Til then I'll be browsing some possible tweeters. I'd like to stick with Daytons if I can. I'm open to any suggestions, I've just used Dayton's subwoofers before and they seem to be pretty great drivers.

Edit: Added link to woofers, and possible Tweeter Choice

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=275-140

Edited by gprestonmoto

I have used maybe 3 or 4 pairs of those tweeters.  Hard to beat for the price.  Will handle a fairly low crossover point as well.

I have used maybe 3 or 4 pairs of those tweeters.  Hard to beat for the price.  Will handle a fairly low crossover point as well.

Hmm... well I might try and run Helix Competition Midbass drivers with them. I can get a pretty good deal on them and that's at least using some of the brands I'm trying to show. Thanks bro.

Thanks for the help bro I appreciate it. Right now I'm looking at making a pair of Dayton Audio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofers (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-372) fit the door stock location. Should just need some baffles. Til then I'll be browsing some possible tweeters. I'd like to stick with Daytons if I can. I'm open to any suggestions, I've just used Dayton's subwoofers before and they seem to be pretty great drivers.

I'll be putting that same setup in this week, except the 7" mid. I'll update you as soon as I get it in.

I'll be putting that same setup in this week, except the 7" mid. I'll update you as soon as I get it in.

Oh nice let me know, I'd really appreciate that.

I actually owned several carver amps in my younger days many moons ago. Depending on what kind of life your amps have had you should be pretty happy with them. I couldn't kill the ones I had and I wasn't very kind to them at all.  

They were really great but I had to sell them. Found out we're having a baby. The big plans will have to go on hold. Probably just going to be ordering some Fosgate components and Fosgate amps since I can get them for dirt.