ramteid

DD-1 testing

i purchased a dd-1 years ago and recently i purchased a dso nano oscilloscope, for half the price of the dd-1, and decided to do a little testing... I used them both on both of my amps and this is what i got on both amps.

clearly the dd-1 shows that there is no "distortion" yet there is some soft clipping, which can be seen much easier from the picture i took closer. i did not have to turn the gain down much more to get a round wave.

so, my conclusion is that if people want to set their gains with tones than they should save some money and just buy a dso nano.

IMG_2239_zps5dac8f0a.jpg

IMG_2240_zpsbba18ca3.jpg

so, my conclusion is that if people want to set their gains with tones than they should save some money and just buy a dso nano.

Or use their ears.

Unfortunately, you are not comparing physical THD % values here.

If the distortion has not reached what the SMD is rated at, then the light will not light yet.  That means distortion can be visually seen on an o-scope because it shows the signal at all times.

I do not believe the SMD specifications are wrong, it's just a pointless device to have under all circumstances.

I kid you not, i was on smd's website one day trying to find what kind of pointless topics were there.

One topic was about Troubleshooting the SMD DD-1 device.

It wasn't functioning properly in terms of never warning of distortion, etc.. 

Guess what the user had to do.. whip out tools, DMM, for example, and do measurements..

So, the user had to reduntantly troubleshoot a device that is setting up a gain so that instead of setting the gain just right then.. the DD-1 just HAS to be troubleshooted and fixed before the gains can be set....

And don't get me started on the CC-1.

I should make a device that allows people to turn their amps on and off.  And a switch.. nah, just isn't good enough.

Well, to me, the dd-1 doesnt make much sense with looking for 1% distortion. Most people who get the dd-1 are looking and thinking that it will keep their amp from clipping at all when it does not wven keep it from clipping on the tone it came with. Even if it shows 1% distortion, most of the people are still under the impression that there will be no clipping at all, which is really what i was trying to show.

If the distortion has not reached what the SMD is rated at, then the light will not light yet.  That means distortion can be visually seen on an o-scope because it shows the signal at all times.

I do not believe the SMD specifications are wrong, it's just a pointless device to have under all circumstances.

I kid you not, i was on smd's website one day trying to find what kind of pointless topics were there.

Guess what the user had to do.. whip out tools, DMM, for example, and do measurements..

So, the user had to reduntantly troubleshoot a device that is setting up a gain so that instead of setting the gain just right then.. the DD-1 just HAS to be troubleshooted and fixed before the gains can be set....

I should make a device that allows people to turn their amps on and off.  And a switch.. nah, just isn't good enough.

The one thing I do like by SMD is the new fan controller which you set the temperature and it turns on your fans when needed automatically.

That being said it is likely overpriced, and I have no idea if it works correctly. But I like the Idea.

That's the problem. No one knows if any of this stuff works. If these companies were worth their salt they would compare it to the industry standard.

Or they have and know their product is junk.

The one thing I do like by SMD is the new fan controller which you set the temperature and it turns on your fans when needed automatically.

That being said it is likely overpriced, and I have no idea if it works correctly. But I like the Idea.

Stinger has had something similar for quite some time

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12506_SGJ11.html

That's the problem. No one knows if any of this stuff works. If these companies were worth their salt they would compare it to the industry standard.

Or they have and know their product is junk.

Well, they have videos of testing the dd-1 next to an oscilliscope and it showed no clipping but its real easy for them to turn the gain down some more and make it seem as if it prevents clipping. Which is pretty shady.

A scope isn't industry standard and is impossible to test on a d class amp without proper filtering.

Anyone who buys a DD-1 just made the most idiotic purchase in their life. It doesn't do ANYTHING useful. Can't say that benchmarking it against something is any better though. Who cares? The device has no point. Even Steve and his crew couldn't argue that, hell they didn't even try.

Anyone who buys a DD-1 just made the most idiotic purchase in their life. It doesn't do ANYTHING useful. Can't say that benchmarking it against something is any better though. Who cares? The device has no point. Even Steve and his crew couldn't argue that, hell they didn't even try.

Well i had one and been needing an oscilliscope to do some testing on my own and since i bought one i figured i would do some testing to show there are better options than the dd-1 at an even better price.

Well i had one and been needing an oscilliscope to do some testing on my own and since i bought one i figured i would do some testing to show there are better options than the dd-1 at an even better price.
When I typed that I didn't even realize you owned it. Sorry you got shenaniganned into buying one.

Pretty much doubt you needed an oscilloscope though either...

When I typed that I didn't even realize you owned it. Sorry you got shenaniganned into buying one.

Pretty much doubt you needed an oscilloscope though either...

Thats fine, i bought it years ago before i knew much of anything.

I like to know a rough area of where my amps are set.

i have the newer dso nano, and love it to death. was on the fence between that or a dd-1, and some people had comparison vids, just goes to show the inaccuracy, lack of varying freqs, and EXTREME price markup. Dont get me wrong, I dig smd and what he does, but the dd-1 is def not my cup of tea

i have the newer dso nano, and love it to death. was on the fence between that or a dd-1, and some people had comparison vids, just goes to show the inaccuracy, lack of varying freqs, and EXTREME price markup. Dont get me wrong, I dig smd and what he does, but the dd-1 is def not my cup of tea

I don't dig SMD or what he does. He's a scammer with all the products he putting out there to the people who don't know any better. Making money off the clueless. Honestly SMD can Su(k My D!©&

Flood the market with fanboys who are easily tricked out of their money is the method.

Flood the market with fanboys who are easily tricked out of their money is the method.

Thats for true.