I realize there will be hate to follow, but whatever it's no big. I'm very happy with it.

20131012_212049.jpg

Yes sir, Linear Power 3002

20131012_212005.jpg

Pretty cool, I guess I have never seen enough of the inside of amps to differentiate.

Yea my bad. Fully modified, 4awg pigtails. I'm a fan. Getting a 2202 in sometime this week

Pretty cool, I guess I have never seen enough of the inside of amps to differentiate.

LP's are fairly easy to spot from the internals. Almost all of them used the T03 case on the transistors and had lots of point to point wiring.

I've got a 2202 coming and getting modified from the start. Soon as that's done, I'll start the hunt for a "reasonably priced" 8002sw. Then I can get all the sinks powdercoated. and buy myself a pair of icons or xcons. That has yet to be decided.

LP's are fairly easy to spot from the internals. Almost all of them used the T03 case on the transistors and had lots of point to point wiring.
Are there any benefits to doing it that way?

It's an argument waiting to happen. T03's are high speed frequency switching. Some people think it matters, others don't. I honestly like Linear Power, I think they sound great, and they're period correct for my 88 Cadillac. I love the way they look and I love the way they sound. I'm not rushing out to buy anything new at the moment, not because there's anything wrong with them (I collect old LP), but because I enjoy the hard work, craftsmanship, and reliability of them.

Edited by gprestonmoto

ugh old yuck!

Linear was huge when i graduated in 91.  Loved those amps- glad to see them getting back up there.  i like your Idea in the period correct...hmm...maybe I should get my Silvy back on the road and do a SQ set up.

Linear was huge when i graduated in 91.  Loved those amps- glad to see them getting back up there.  i like your Idea in the period correct...hmm...maybe I should get my Silvy back on the road and do a SQ set up.

The new LP stuff is pretty expensive, and I found I could get the old stuff at a decent price. The modding and refinishing is where the money comes in. I guess the nice part is that I'm really not in any hurry and my buddy and his dad worked for LP when they were here. I have a lot of faith in his work, so I'm doing fine money-wise. It's actually kind of fun trying to find specific old pieces. Originally it was going to be a 1002 or 1502 for the highs, but a 2202 came along at a price I couldn't pass up, so I had to grab her. She goes under the knife next week.

What are the modifications?

For my application, I had new banana style screw in terminals added instead of the plug ins, tl0 op amps replaced, just a few little things.

*I don't really consider the new larger pig tails a mod or upgrade. I just use Stinger Pro in all my installs so I had the pigtails matched.

Edited by gprestonmoto

It's an argument waiting to happen. T03's are high speed frequency switching. Some people think it matters, others don't. I honestly like Linear Power, I think they sound great, and they're period correct for my 88 Cadillac. I love the way they look and I love the way they sound. I'm not rushing out to buy anything new at the moment, not because there's anything wrong with them (I collect old LP), but because I enjoy the hard work, craftsmanship, and reliability of them.
T03 is just the designation for that particular transistor case size. Different transistors can be housed within it. The case being metal improves heat dissipation.

I don't know off hand of an advantage of the wiring, other than "modifications" were pretty big business for LP and that may have made it easier to accomplish. Printed circuit boards would be cheaper and more reliable I would imagine, albeit less flexible to design changes.

Thanks for the info Brad. I'll have my guy fill me in on the mods and post em up