crackinhedz

Thinking of adding another Xcon 15"

So I am thinking of adding another Xcon 15" (1ohm) and not sure if I should stay ported or go sealed...I have a Hifonics BRX2000.1D which currently runs my ported 15" (1ohm dvc) w/ 1400rms @ 2ohm.

I don't intend to upgrade the amp as right now my stock alternator seems fine, and have no plans to upgrade alternator anytime soon...sooo...

Running two subs will pretty much leave me with 1k rms for each sub...and the idea of staying ported or going sealed is keeping me awake at night! Not to mention enclosure size and design.

In the back of my Santa Fe has a storage compartment which houses my amps, but I get the feeling with it being so hollow it could be echoing my bass? (or am I just imagining this?) Anyways, my plan is to remove the storage and just sit the subs on the floor of the vehicle, which allows me more space. Currently my single 15" enclosure measures roughly 35" W x 20" D x 18" H (~4.8 ft^3) ...removing the storage will give me an additional ~ 8" of height and I could go 45" wide. Currently my sub is firing back, but would like new setup to fire up. Now I still plan on keeping my amps closer to the tailgate, so my idea is subs up and possibly to fire the port forward underneath the back seats...there is a good 6" of space underneath. Now my understanding is the port is mainly for unloading purposes, correct? So Ideally I would minimize any port output with the SSF. Do you think this might affect anything accoustically being underneath the seats? This would give me the best output for 1k rms each sub, but also could go sealed as I have always liked the sealed sound. This would save space too.

So Im just planning my next move, and hopefully can get a great deal on Black Friday.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. If I left some needed info out of the equation let me know.

- Eric

edit: can I even wire two DVC 1ohm subs down to 1ohm? I read somewhere I can...but just to be sure before I go retard on this!

Edited by crackinhedz

Use the 12volt subwoofer wiring diagram

Use the 12volt subwoofer wiring diagram

yep, that's where I had read this. Thanks!

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp~Q~2~I~12

Now, to me the wiring looks like it would be easy being ported but if the subs are sealed in their own enclosure it seems would be a bit more having to run wires out to the amp, and to each other...

No need to seperate them just run both subs in the same chamber if you go the sealed route.

No need to seperate them just run both subs in the same chamber if you go the sealed route.

oh ok, didn't realize this could be done. Thanks!

You can try subs up and port back. Plenty of room in a Santa Fe:)

You can try subs up and port back. Plenty of room in a Santa Fe:)

I have this ocd where I don't want to be able to see the port if I can avoid it. Also I still plan to mount the amps in a smaller section in between the sub and tailgait, could obscure any ports.

Hmm, OCD, caught myself straightening the flyers at the tellers desk at the bank yesterday.

Hmm, OCD, caught myself straightening the flyers at the tellers desk at the bank yesterday.

I like things to be symmetrical, something about asymmetry just bugs me. :)

Blackfriday plus store credit = Xcon 15" ($330) for me. smile.png

Sounds like a nice deal. :)

I am missing the point here. Going from one sub ported to two of the same subs sealed on the same amp should be quieter than your current setup. Are you currently only at 2 ohms and would get more out of the amp with the second sub?

I am missing the point here. Going from one sub ported to two of the same subs sealed on the same amp should be quieter than your current setup. Are you currently only at 2 ohms and would get more out of the amp with the second sub?

yes, I would be going from 1400rms @ 2 ohm to 2,000rms @ 1ohm. (In the future who knows?)

Basically 1,000 rms to each sub - whether it be ported or sealed. Considering sealed mainly for space and/or lower cost for the enclosure. But if my plans allow me to have the bigger ported box and the price of the enclosure is feasible, I will gladly stay ported.

Blackfriday plus store credit = Xcon 15" ($330) for me. smile.png

Sounds like a nice deal. smile.png

Agreed :)

If you truly want to upgrade I would port the second XCON, if you want to go with a second sealed it might not be worth it, it just depends on your goals. One can NEVER have too many XCON's ;)