Dangercdv

New amp, but not impressed

I got a second hand kicker 750.1 a while back, pushing two 10 inch Kicker CVRs (400rms each) wired to 2ohms so the amp is giving about 750rms.

Today, my new amp came in, the Hifonics 1700.1 (1700rms at 1ohm, 1200 at 2ohms, 600 at 4ohms)
I wired up my old kicker subs to it, same wiring and boxes, so they should be getting 1200rms instead of the 750. On the kicker amp, i had the gain right below half way, on the new Hifonics amp I have the gain turned right around half way, and it sounds the exact same.

Why do I not get any difference with the added 450rms?

This setup is also only temporary, 2 Sundown E-12s wired down to 1ohm will be in soon, as soon as I finish the boxes. I hope with the upgraded subwoofers, bigger size, and 1ohm power will increase the bass output. (yes I am aware the amp is too much for the subs, I keep that gain down)

There was an option for that I believe, 0.2V - 9V, and when it was turned all the way to the left (9V) I couldnt hear a thing, all the way to the right (0.2V) played it as it is now.

Edited by Dangercdv

Time and time again we tell people that increasing power is the least effective way to get louder, and here I think you've provided a prime example.  You have to at least double power input to get a theoretical 3dB gain in output which, again, is the theoretical doubling of output.  The problem is that even when you double the power due to things like power compression you'll never see that full 3dB anyway.  Plus 3dB to the ear isn't twice as loud anyway so it's all a wash.

As we've mentioned before, adding power and worrying about those small increases like that aren't a big enough difference to go chasing and spending money on unless you're competing and trying to get every tenth of a decibel you can, and even then there's better ways to go about it most of the time.

okay, thank you, that makes allot more sense.
Im saving this amp for a future setup anyway, and the new subs I have wire down to 1ohm which my old amp wasnt capable of. 
I got this new amp for a steal so its fine by me. 

Time and time again we tell people that increasing power is the least effective way to get louder, and here I think you've provided a prime example.  You have to at least double power input to get a theoretical 3dB gain in output which, again, is the theoretical doubling of output.  The problem is that even when you double the power due to things like power compression you'll never see that full 3dB anyway.  Plus 3dB to the ear isn't twice as loud anyway so it's all a wash.

As we've mentioned before, adding power and worrying about those small increases like that aren't a big enough difference to go chasing and spending money on unless you're competing and trying to get every tenth of a decibel you can, and even then there's better ways to go about it most of the time.

Almost right.  3dB with some time separation is NOT an audible difference.  I would expect that you hear no difference between the two amps and in your situation I personally would WAY rather run the Kicker.

well in my position, the new subs going in would run 4ohm on the kicker, so each subwoofer taking an easy 400, would have to share 375 rms to both subs.
So I think wiring down to 1ohm a new amp with plenty of headroom that doesnt hurt my wallet was a good move.

Yep and i will go even further and say doubling power has never seen a 3db gain in the competition scene.

And yes, i am even talking about going from low power to moderate power, nothing crazy which would lead to power compression, etc.. 

Typical gains i've witnessed in many setups by doubling either amplifier rated power or doubling the current draw is between 1.9-2.3db.

well I am keeping this amp for 2 future SA-12s or 15s. (or maybe 1 bad ass 15 or 18)
Thank you!

On a few forums or facebook pages, people seems to disagree : they say that this 3db_by_doubling_power thing is wrong, and they can ear an increase in output with a more powerful amp.

I've seen/read that a few times. Coming from "reputable & knowledegeable members" !!! It always surpises me :)

Personnaly, I had a 1500 w Sundown amp that I changed for a 3000 w Sundown : no increase in my ears, so I sold the 3000 and put back the 1500 !

People claim sugar pills work ALL the time as well.

To my understanding, a 3dB gain is considered a barely audible difference. a 10dB gain would be a theoretical doubling of sound output. Either way, those CVRs need a new home first and, if that doesn't work, you need new subs. Can't really expect CVRs to get much louder than they probably already are.