Dexter Chaos

12" ZCon D1 4th order box sealed size help

Vehicle : 2007 chrysler sebring
Location in the vehicle: trunk
Space available (Length x Width x Height): 37 wide x 32 length x 13 height i can get larger just would have to build inside trunk.
Subwoofer make and model: Zcon D1
Subwoofer Size: 12
Number of Subwoofers:1
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): slot or aero
What type of music do you like?: dubstep and decaf
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: most of my listening is everyday music decaf and dubstep.
Tuning Freq (Hz): not sure
Volume : currectly around 7 gross
Questions:    I have 2 zcons and am thinking of going to 1 due to rebuild thoughts. I need to give these subs more space and not sure i can do that with one. since rebuild was in mind thought possible 4th order and wanted thoughts on the sealed size requirements for this particular sub.  I listen to alot of hip-hop, rap music, decaf, djsnt,  dubstep, and anything that makes it rattle my teeth  which I am finding out covers a large frequency range. not sure if the 4th order box is my best choice but what i have read it can have a flat response so that would be helpful. I am new to ported enclosures always ran sealed and feel that i am in over my head. just want my subs to sound better then they do now. all help is greatly appreciated and thankful for. I claim to know nothing

Generally the feeling around here is if you're guessing, you don't need a fourth order bandpass.

Two zcons? Not enough? How much power are you running?

Sealed can put out if space is adequate, is your box big enough to choke off sound, being rear firing?

Yea how is your box right now?

Not sure if you are asking for help with a sealed, ported or bandpass.

Sealed's are not 4th order unless of course you are including electronic slope in which case you could easily have that as an overall result. Ported & Bandpass are both 4th order on their own though.

No way, no how with BP. They have a very small positive and if you don't need that they are a waste. The rest tough to say.

two subs and port firing in cabin. I know my box is two small and need to rebuild. that is why I am asking these questions.

So I am going to only use one sub until it warms to where I can really rebuild. I guess it is called a bandpass box. sealed on one side and ported out the other. wanted to know what determines the sealed size for this type of build. just a thought. just seen alot of cars built with these types of boxes. thought I give it a go. but what do I know nothing obviously.

Not thinking a 4th order band pass is going to be the best bet. I think aero port with 2 12s will do good.

two subs and port firing in cabin. I know my box is two small and need to rebuild. that is why I am asking these questions.

So I am going to only use one sub until it warms to where I can really rebuild. I guess it is called a bandpass box. sealed on one side and ported out the other. wanted to know what determines the sealed size for this type of build. just a thought. just seen alot of cars built with these types of boxes. thought I give it a go. but what do I know nothing obviously.

Just because other people are doing it certainly doesn't make it a good idea. (usually the quite opposite is true)

You don't need a 4th order bandpass, that's only usefull if the trunk is isolated from the cabin (like in a few BMW's).

The last time I built a bandpass that was large in a car was in a Mazda B2200 almost 20 years ago.  It was a blow-through with a pair of 15's that had such a huge VAS the box ended up being almost 10ft3...  That is back when they made sense....  The woofers didn't have much stroke then either, so you could get away with smaller ports...

There just isn't enough reasons to make bandpass boxes a viable alternative most of the time now.  There is just so many more things that can go wrong.  The last successful one I built was for pro-audio, and only because I needed 40-60Hz, and that was it.... 

Didn't you say first time metering with the enclosure was like a 147? What are you not liking about the current enclosure?

Edited by frogcase2002

So how do you calculate the sealed side for a sub, you see these builds with multiple subs and are sealed that fire into a second enclosure with a port. My question is how do you know how to determine the sealed side of this box?