DedicatedEnthusiast

Best brand of welding wire or is it all the same?

I have heard a lot about welding supply and coppercableman on e-bay, what about wire and supply or electron beam (EB-flex) wire?

Also I see that 1/0 welding wire in general is rated for 350 amps at 50 feet while 2/0 is rated for 400 amps at 50 feet. I don't expect more than a 20 foot run at most from my front to back battery so what size cable would you guys recommend for a Crescendo BC3500d at one ohm with a 300 amp external fuse rating?

Lastly I notice there is an ultraflex cable available from welding supply (as well as directwireusa.com) that claims to contain 4x the strand count of the standard wire yet the amperage ratings are the same?

Welding cable is international standard. Awg is a standard. They "should" all be the same with the difference being in price, and the jacket

it"s worth getting the higher strand count....it is more flexible and easier to install

some of the cheeper welding cable has a real cheep jacket on it that is easily

damaged

Go to your local welding supply shop and put your hands on some ... I usually cut my desired lengths and take them back to get connectors installed. Those old welders might not know what your intended use is but DANG do they know how to install a good connector ...

Go to your local welding supply shop and put your hands on some ... I usually cut my desired lengths and take them back to get connectors installed. Those old welders might not know what your intended use is but DANG do they know how to install a good connector ...

Buy a torch and do it yourself , it's cheap, easy, fast and strong.

Heat the connector from the back side, touch solder on the inside so it starts to melt, stop until it starts to get out of the bottom.

It is preferred the terminal is snug, oh, and wear gloves and eye protection.

weldingsupply.com My buddy in Japan is doing a build and I told him to try the Ultra Orange Flex 2/0 and he said it was sexy with a high strand count. They also have clearance sales on pre-cut lengths where you can save a good amount of $$$.

I've used welding supply and the EB stuff.  Yes the EB has less strand cound but both contain he same surface area therefore both within spec standards.  The EB flex however is a good bit cheaper.  I have found that the EB wire does not have any micro ban additive in the rubber to keep mold from growing on the jacket if that would be a problem

I've used welding supply and the EB stuff.  Yes the EB has less strand cound but both contain he same surface area therefore both within spec standards.  The EB flex however is a good bit cheaper.  I have found that the EB wire does not have any micro ban additive in the rubber to keep mold from growing on the jacket if that would be a problem

good to know. THx

Below is 2/0 EB Flex.  The discoloration is mold.  It has been sitting under a covered car port for about 6 months.

IMG_03221_zps7222dd7b.jpg

Every so often EB flex has sales on their large wire as well. I've used them multiple times, great wire at an awesome price.

Link to pricing for the EB flex please? Myself & a few team members are considering a large order of wire in various sizes.....from as large as 4/0 to as small as 8g

the jacket on the EB flex does slide a bit, some people use glue  i use marine glue lined  heat shrink at the cut to prevent sliding

the jacket on the EB flex does slide a bit, some people use glue i use marine glue lined heat shrink at the cut to prevent sliding

Yep they use a cotton lining between the copper and jacket. Remember. Welders are using this stuff to weld over several hundred feet. It needs something to help flex at that length.

Link to pricing for the EB flex please? Myself & a few team members are considering a large order of wire in various sizes.....from as large as 4/0 to as small as 8g

Hope this link works. This is where I see their sales and updated prices, as they update their wire price on a monthly basis as copper prices fluctuate. If you order enough you can get free shipping as well, which is pretty big when ordering something this heavy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Electron-Beam-Technologies-Inc/122082121139733

I do wish I would have known about the mold issue before ordering...that stuffs no joke.