Jasonc13

Pontiac G6 with 2 Ethos 18's

Box is looking good by the way!!

Thanks, I'm having fun building stuff again.  This circle jig I got from Lowes is slick.  I'll take pics in action tomorrow.  The Bosche plunge/base combo router just went on sale for $189.  Good excuse to buy another quality tool.....haaa!!   Can't wait to finish her up in the next few days.

What do you recommend for box terminals?

I usually just cut hole and run the wire through. Then seal it up. I really need to buy a router!!!

Here's the final calculation.  That 23" of port length will hardly extend past the bend, as the front straight is almost 18".  I'm guessing that's ok, as long as the dimensions in Torres are accurate? (which they are)

Finaldesign2Xcons_zpsdc729226.png

Edited by Jasonc13

I have been measuring port length as highlighted in red.  IS this correct?

16cubes32hz25sqin9rn.png

Alright, progress to finally report.  Box is complete and in car.....WooHoooo.   Here's some pics of the fun.....

Before I cut down the port.  This length would have been around 31Hz per Torres.  I ended up making the port a little wider so I could keep more port length.

20140303_193715_zpsf615777f.jpg

Slick Bosche plunge router with circle guide from Lowe's.

20140305_174707_zpsac5b2321.jpg

Perfectly clean cut smile.png

20140305_175650_zps47629fc9.jpg

Edited by Jasonc13

Cut port with second face layer glued n screwed like a mofo.  (reminds my of a girl I used to date.......HaHaaa!)    I didn't want any screw heads or holes on front face.

20140306_224733_zpseaed4a96.jpg

Should never have done this in the garage with the door closed.   I just couldn't quit, as the end was in sight...

20140306_215145_zps6667f672.jpg

Edited by Jasonc13

No router Picasso here, but I yhad to have a lil fun cutting the easy top layer holes out.

A little love for the SSA group hererocking.gif trink40.gif

20140307_170305_zps2722caca.jpg

Happy camper

20140307_172629_zps28019101.jpg

Final Specs:

TheBuiltFinaldesign2Xcons59in2port_zpsac

Ready for top

20140307_172607_zps62e07ac7.jpg

Top on with a heater for the eve.  Was a cold Fri eve, and I def wanted her cured for Sat rippin

20140307_195027_zpsc43f5e3c.jpg

Ready Ready  :)

20140308_112328_zps32f6057f.jpg

Box still needs to be painted and have quality terminals installed, but I couldn't wait ANY longer.

She's a tight squeeze, but no hard pushing required to get box in.  Getting her out will be a heavy lift from a crappy angle, but I am installing handles on the back to aid.   The wife said, "You built it, you lift it"   Ahh well, she doesn't get it.

20140311_190529_zps5547c103.jpg

Side panels will be getting built next.  Sub height came out good into cabin even with a situp mat under box

Rear shot:  Not much space back there anymore.  I wanted to still carry a spare, so the little donut worked out perfect.

20140311_190437_zps5cca3f29.jpg

First off, WOW!!  These Xcons sound soo smooth and clean!  I just wish I had gotten into quality gear sooner.  Like one stated earlier, they're giving me a boner...haaawackit3.gif   The car is also rattling soo much less now with subs now firing into the cabin...love it!!  Deadening is still coming soon too though.

First I need to address my electrical needs.  At idle, car is 14.4v.   At full tilt with a BC2000 I'm dropping to low 11s.  This is obviously no good and I'm not wanting to even crank it until I get a new alt & battery.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Mechman 320a alt & a XS D3100??   Good combo together?  If I'm getting just 1 rear battery is the D3100 large enough?

An engine bay battery is on the list eventually, but I'd like to keep running the yellow top up there for now.  I really don't want more than 2 batteries, as all this equipment is already heavy enough for this car.  

I'm planning on either the AQ3500 or Crescendo 3500 for sub amp, and still undecided on front stage amp,  Lets say 800w for front amp for now.

I'm ready to buy stuff tomorrow, as I just can't wait to hear these Xcons at 14v.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/61361-bc3500d-current-drawelectrical-needs/

Give that a read, it will help answer your questions. In short a g31 battery in the trunk will help but it depends on listening habits really. The best way to see if your happy with the voltage is to install and see how it responds. If you want less voltage drop then another g31 in the rear should do the trick. 

Perfect read for me, thanks Jay-Cee!!  Would you say the D3100 is the best bang for your buck?  I may just have to figure out how to cram a 2nd in the engine bay.

I think I'm going to pull the plug on a 320a mechman alt, unless anyone can convince me why I only need the 240a.

Edited by Jasonc13

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-marine-battery-group-size-31m-price/p-02850131000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Best bang for your buck. Just depends on shipping, also look into the Crescendo Logic g31 battery as well. XS are great batteries but I wouldnt say best bang for your buck, nothing wrong with them at all.

Enclosure looks great!

Thanks!  I really did enjoy building it.  I hadn't done any amount of woodworking in quite a few years.  I would change just one thing, the glue I used.  I went with liquid nails, which doesn't sand very well.  I'll weigh the whole unit when I take it out soon, as I'm curious.  What you think,  about 160lb?

JAy-Cee:  You have me considering swinging by Sears today after work. $100 less per battery sounds good!  What do you have for electrical in the Acura??

Nice idea for the spare tyre ;)  You never know.

I saw an XP 3000 (XS Power) recently : it's big  AND heavy as ...! The owner is more than happy with it.

Perfect read for me, thanks Jay-Cee!!  Would you say the D3100 is the best bang for your buck?  I may just have to figure out how to cram a 2nd in the engine bay.

I think I'm going to pull the plug on a 320a mechman alt, unless anyone can convince me why I only need the 240a.

when I ordered my alternator from from singer = told him I would be runnin 2 BC2000d's and 2 d3100's and he built me a 250a alternator for it,which I only have one bc2000 and I went with regular lead acid batteries so I have headroom for some upgrading later on

Your enclosure looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

I built my first box last year. I built something similar. I will suggest adding more support vertically due to the fact these boards are larger and more space between connections. I did not do this either and the top of my box vibrates. Which intern makes it less efficient. Just thought I would share. Might help for future builds.

ONCE AGAIN NICE JOB ON YOUR BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TY for the compliments. Good tip, thanks! I can add a vertical support when I take subs out to paint.

Gonna run by Sears on way home from work. If they have the group31s Ill prob buy 2, and figure a way to shoehorn 1 in the stock location. Then to run the new 2/0 wire. Id like to see how bad the voltage drop is b4 the HO alt. Is a seperate run of 2/0 ground wire necessary? Or does that depend on the actual drop?

Edited by Jasonc13

it doesn't hurt to gound to the front as well as in the back.  It is a personel preferance. I did. make sure you remove paint or debri where your connection is at. This will help to ensure proper contact with less resistance. this is if you haven't already.

Enclosure looks great!

Thanks!  I really did enjoy building it.  I hadn't done any amount of woodworking in quite a few years.  I would change just one thing, the glue I used.  I went with liquid nails, which doesn't sand very well.  I'll weigh the whole unit when I take it out soon, as I'm curious.  What you think,  about 160lb?

JAy-Cee:  You have me considering swinging by Sears today after work. $100 less per battery sounds good!  What do you have for electrical in the Acura??

Nothing in the Acura at the moment besides big 3 and agm under hood, everything besides the front stage is ripped out as im planning on upgrades and a new car. All batteries from here on out will be from Sears, those Diehard Platinums are the way to go.

Yeah I would definitely go buy Sears and grab a g31 or two. 

Enclosure looks great!

Nothing in the Acura at the moment besides big 3 and agm under hood, everything besides the front stage is ripped out as im planning on upgrades and a new car. All batteries from here on out will be from Sears, those Diehard Platinums are the way to go.

Yeah I would definitely go buy Sears and grab a g31 or two. 

But what are your goals?

Nice enclosure, the Xcon's look great in it.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-marine-battery-group-size-31m-price/p-02850131000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Best bang for your buck. Just depends on shipping, also look into the Crescendo Logic g31 battery as well. XS are great batteries but I wouldnt say best bang for your buck, nothing wrong with them at all.

OP,

This is my rear battery bank for my BC5500

IMG_20140301_205812_zpsxkeqfkdn.jpg