intrevic

Sealed enclosure

Hey guys was wondering if anyone can give me a box design sealed for 1 10 ssd fully loaded trying to do some experiments in the trunk to see what works best. I don't want it to be bigger than 12x12x12

Any shape works. Just multiply the INTERIOR dimensions together (in inches), subtract the volume of the sub and divide by 1728 (12x12x12) and you will have the cubic feet.

Do I need to brace the corners and double baffle the box for 1200 watts

Not really. And 45's in the corners is for ported boxes, to smooth airflow

No bracing for that small of a box! And 45s in a sealed box is bad I thought? Hmm idk lol

No bracing for that small of a box! And 45s in a sealed box is bad I thought? Hmm idk lol

I bet because it just takes away airspace?

Bracing is more important than 45's. WAY. Doesn't mean it will help the OP in his application though.

I understand that doing the 45's are meant for ported boxes I was just wondering if anyone did any type of bracing if not it's okay

I understand that doing the 45's are meant for ported boxes I was just wondering if anyone did any type of bracing if not it's okay

Your box will be small enough that you shouldn't have to worry about it :) Nice and simple.

Okay cool let's see what I can come up with

Post pictures :P

No doubt I'm actually taking pics of everything from things coming in to every setup I'm trying. Only problem is this damn weather sucks :(

I hear you! Time for spring...

Essentially, it comes down to what kind of sound you are wanting. If you are wanting a a flat response, then go for an QTC of .5, if you want that boomy system, go for 1.0. 

This is what I get from the article at least.

^^ Sort of.  A Q of around .7 will be flattest.  A Q lower than that can give you some more low end extension but with a perceived "flatness" to the sound.  A Q of around 1+ gives you a bump in upper bass, this is what most manufacturers suggest in their recommended alignments.  You'll see Q's as high as 1.5+ in some suggested alignments, lol...

I would go between .7-.8 personally...

There is nothing wrong with bracing a small box.  I think we forget what bracing does on here sometime.  The whole reason we brace is to raise the resonant point of the braced panel to a level above the range of the enclosure.  If we raise it high enough it will be dampened by the enclosure material itself or additional dampening added by the builder.  You could get resonant modes in a small box that will cause distortion, if you brace, you just move those modes higher out of your usable spectrum.  A combination of good bracing and the application of effective dampening compound will ensure a solid, non-resonant enclosure... 

Is the Q of a sealed box similar to the boost around tuning of a ported box? And if so, it is controlled with box size?

*I know it's not that simple, f3 is the rolloff but I am struggling to compare it to something else

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Is the Q of a sealed box similar to the boost around tuning of a ported box? And if so, it is controlled with box size?

*I know it's not that simple, f3 is the rolloff but I am struggling to compare it to something else

Did you read the link I posted?

Not really. A ported box uses helmholz resonance to reinforce the output. There is no reinforcement in a sealed enclosure. Q is a term used to describe the damping and while the effect of a not so critically damped speaker can change the output, the relation isn't really the same.

Not really. A ported box uses helmholz resonance to reinforce the output. There is no reinforcement in a sealed enclosure. Q is a term used to describe the damping and while the effect of a not so critically damped speaker can change the output, the relation isn't really the same.

I was strictly referring to the boost in response, rough comparison. But it's more of a side effect, resulting from damping?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Did you read the link I posted?

My galaxy S3 is barfing up its rom and links are all leading to google homepage.

So since I don't have the high qts on the sub and it has the standard qts would I still build the sub at their recommended cuft of .4 or should I go bigger

I was strictly referring to the boost in response, rough comparison. But it's more of a side effect, resulting from damping?
The Q does represent the shape of the "knee" in the response....I.e. the "peak", or lack thereof, in the response just before it begins to roll off. That peak or lack thereof, the shape of the "knee", is a result of the system damping.

So since I don't have the high qts on the sub and it has the standard qts would I still build the sub at their recommended cuft of .4 or should I go bigger

Input the parameters in WinISD and model it. I would bet the response between the High Q and the regular driver in the recommended enclosure would be audibly indistinguishable.

http:// www.reocities.com/ kreskovs/ Box-Q.html

There is the link, take away the spaces.