SpeakerBoy

UFO BTL worth giving up?

In my house, I can, but I don't have one sturdy enough to use in the car. Do you mean as a source or just for testing purposes?

testing

Great additional information SpeakerBoy, and this is why M5 asks you the question he asks. To get the REAL detail from YOUR specific scenario. He does not treat you as he would treat the masses, he gives person to person advise, which is why he is such a great value to this forum. Now that we know what you are working with, and the tools you have at hand. We can all better provide better suggestions. 

My take is this. Wait to build your new box. You almost NEVER want to ADD anything, you almost ALWAYS want to take AWAY. Forcing your subwoofer to play harder below tuning is NEVER a good LOL. My suggestion still stands as previously mentioned.

1. Build new box
  2. Tuner accordingly, as you stated, lower per listening material. I would suggest 28-30hz.
  3. As touched on previously, lower frequencies are felt differently than higher frequencies. But you also want to take into account for Transfer Function, which was previously mentioned. Ok, so imagine this, tuned higher (35hz), your peak in your vehicle, may be at 45hz(this is where you (feel) the most pressure, aka your peak frequency. Now, you want to move that "peak" lower, for your installation. To accomplish this, you need to tuner your enclouser lower, which is a good start, also you need to play with box volume and tuning. Do you see now how big of a role the enclosure plays in this whole never ending equation? lol. So once you tune lower, you will then be able to tune those high peaks a little bet better. So with your available eq, you may have to do, -2 db at 31hz, and -4db at 63hz (me guessing) to achieve your flat 25-60hz Frequency Response that you are after.
  4. So again, my suggestion. 7-8cubes, 120-150cuin. I say that much port becuase you have the power. I would probably aim for around 7 though, based on my experience with the BTL, Zcon, and Evil. Once you getter any higher than that, it starts to lose power handling. 

All of this is my 2 cents. I hope this helps. 

60Hz is NOT midbass...

Do you only have 2 eq bands? You really need WAY more to determine what is going on.

I have a ten band EQ.

The bottom three are 31 63 125

No,I was exaggerating by calling it a midbass. It's frustrating to have mad output on all the notes I hear the least in my music sad.png

That is only 2 bands where you need them to figure things out. Obviously yours follow 1/3 octaves which simulate your hearing, but isn't narrow band enough.

Wouldn't 31, 63, 125 be single octave steps?

60Hz is NOT midbass...

Do you only have 2 eq bands? You really need WAY more to determine what is going on.

I have a ten band EQ.

No,I was exaggerating by calling it a midbass. It's frustrating to have mad output on all the notes I hear the least in my music sad.png

That is only 2 bands where you need them to figure things out. Obviously yours follow 1/3 octaves which simulate your hearing, but isn't narrow band enough.

Absolutely. His doesn't follow 1/3 and even that wouldn't be enough.

I take criticism badly sometimes, i'm almost intimidated by people who have been doing what I love doing for longer than I've been alive. I just feel like I ask the wrong quesitons and don't know what I'm ACTUALLY after beside what I picture in my head.

I always aim to tune lower than higher becaue I've watched a lot of people murder subs playing shit off MY playlist, in my hometown everyone calls me up to do their shit and then when they skimp on equipment and design they pay dearly lol.

They named me speakerboy, it's not a self appointed name lol. Part of what drives me to learn, so I earn the name.

M5 gives great advice, I guess I just harbor mild resentment from all the shit I got when I was fourteen and posted my backpack here, what I felt was something to be proud of. :lol: audio therapy session over.

I stuffed my box today, four pounds of poly in the 5@35hz, but I'm not sure if it's had an effect, my parents have been in and out all day, and don't exactly enjoy my music. On low power it's doing better, it digs a little deeper.

Is proper polyfill fire resistant? I get worried with that much fabric shit next to what's potentially a heating element in a bad circumstance. I also wonder how it works in a ported box, wouldn't it hinder air flow?

I can't build the box til it's warmer, the wood shop we'd use is full of my friends parents lawn furniture, shit.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

60Hz is NOT midbass...

I have a ten band EQ.

60Hz is NOT midbass...

I have a ten band EQ.

Haven't seen anything in the car audio world but 1, 1/2, and 1/3 octave EQ's. Do they even exist?

60Hz is NOT midbass...

I have a ten band EQ.

60Hz is NOT midbass...

I have a ten band EQ.

Haven't seen anything in the car audio world but 1, 1/2, and 1/3 octave EQ's. Do they even exist?

Any pc based solution gives you whatever you want. Same with a miniDSP and a bunch of other proc's. Normally in car audio flexibility follows parametric eq's and not graphic but by nature that is logical.

60Hz is NOT midbass...

I have a ten band EQ.

60Hz is NOT midbass...

I have a ten band EQ.

Maybe a 30 band? nah that's a 1/3.... Edited by SpeakerBoy

I take criticism badly sometimes, i'm almost intimidated by people who have been doing what I love doing for longer than I've been alive. I just feel like I ask the wrong quesitons and don't know what I'm ACTUALLY after beside what I picture in my head.

I feel the same way sometimes. In my head I can picture what I want but describing it to others in words can be very difficult. Kind of irritating.

I always aim to tune lower than higher becaue I've watched a lot of people murder subs playing shit off MY playlist, in my hometown everyone calls me up to do their shit and then when they skimp on equipment and design they pay dearly lol.

They named me speakerboy, it's not a self appointed name lol. Part of what drives me to learn, so I earn the name.

M5 gives great advice, I guess I just harbor mild resentment from all the shit I got when I was fourteen and posted my backpack here, what I felt was something to be proud of. laugh.png audio therapy session over.

I stuffed my box today, four pounds of poly in the 5@35hz, but I'm not sure if it's had an effect, my parents have been in and out all day, and don't exactly enjoy my music. On low power it's doing better, it digs a little deeper.

Is proper polyfill fire resistant? I get worried with that much fabric shit next to what's potentially a heating element in a bad circumstance. I also wonder how it works in a ported box, wouldn't it hinder air flow?

I can't build the box til it's warmer, the wood shop we'd use is full of my friends parents lawn furniture, shit.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/7168-a-technical-understanding-of-polyfill/

i guess it could get into the motor or something, maybe just reverse mount the sub if you're worried. 

You could also try fiberglass insulation stapled to the inside of the box. 

Edited by lithium

No way in hell would I put fiberglass insulation in a ported box. Would not want to be breathing in the particles when it gets moving.... Kind of work for an insulation company.. Our guys wear masks when working with that shit.

M5 gives great advice, I guess I just harbor mild resentment from all the shit I got when I was fourteen and posted my backpack here, what I felt was something to be proud of. laugh.png audio therapy session over.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/7168-a-technical-understanding-of-polyfill/

i guess it could get into the motor or something, maybe just reverse mount the sub if you're worried.

You could also try fiberglass insulation stapled to the inside of the box.

I know how it works, that's why I went out and bought like ten pounds of it lol.

I am just unsure of the tricks of using it; I had six pounds in there (forgot how much there was at first, it was all clumped together, and i've had it sitting for a while) , and it sounded the same if not quieter, then took two pounds out and it's noticeably louder around the middle of it's bandwidth. It's hard to get an idea of how it's doing by testing it out of vehicle. My friend had a Bravada we were going to use for testing, but it just shit bricks about an hour ago, and from what he tells me, they think they locked the block up. (how the fuck?)

Edited by SpeakerBoy

If you guys are talking vented enclosures, the primary purpose of dampening material is too attenuate mechanical noise and upper harmonics.

It does NOT cause the driver to act as if it is in a larger enclosure nearly as effectively as it does in sealed alignment.  There are diminishing returns with applying dampening material in a vented alignment and you will drastically start lowering efficiency if you over stuff the box.  Polyfill really has no place in vented alignments unless you are lining the walls with it...  Even so, It does NOT work as good as fiberglass at attenuating the garbage you are trying to get rid of in a vented alignment...

If you guys are talking vented enclosures, the primary purpose of dampening material is too attenuate mechanical noise and upper harmonics.

It does NOT cause the driver to act as if it is in a larger enclosure nearly as effectively as it does in sealed alignment. There are diminishing returns with applying dampening material in a vented alignment and you will drastically start lowering efficiency if you over stuff the box. Polyfill really has no place in vented alignments unless you are lining the walls with it... Even so, It does NOT work as good as fiberglass at attenuating the garbage you are trying to get rid of in a vented alignment...

Nice clear and concise.

Thank you :)