hdrox88

SD-2 8 in a center console?

Ever since I popped my xcon I have been running a pair of JL 10W3 sealed. It's no flexing setup, but I have gotten them to blend pretty well with my front stage and it is highly enjoyable. I am contemplating replacing the useless tape deck/cd storage center console on my '02 tahoe with a SD-2 8 to take over for the JLs so I have the room in the rear for something bigger to shake things up when I want to. I'd have a switch to either sub amp to turn them on independently. I'm pretty eclectic in my music and bass level choices from day to day. Part of me thinks this is just a silly daydream as a bass knob would fill this roll, and the other part thinks it would be a fun project. Is this a terrible idea? Just curious if anyone has done something like this and how they felt about it afterwards.

The SD8's will not have the output those JL's do. 

a bass knob would fill this roll

This.

I don't see the point in spending the time and $$ when the much easier fix is to just add a more convenient sub level controller.

Yea, I figured it was just a "look what I did" feeling that was driving that one. Just needed the second opinions to help steer me away, lol.

Got a local guy here in town who just built a center console for his back seats with 2-sd-2-8". He built it in a fourth order and put it in i will see if i can firnd the pics.

I've seen people / Competitors do this when they compete in Sound Quality AND SPL competition. They have their time aligned sub in the center console and their SPL setup beyond the "B" pillar with alot higher tune.

Now when they have to go through the lanes, they have to remove their high end and SQ sub amps cause they will\ count towards the total amplifier output power and would put them in higher classes. Most SPL classes have limitations on number of amplifiers and total amplifier output.

But as far as daily drivers go, No Sir, I have not seen a need to have this done.

Edited by Randal Johnson

My amp has remote level control so I'm good there, though those pics would be cool just to see what was done. Who doesn't love pics?