ncc74656

thoughts on subs

never seen someone try to piss money away like this... honestly you got to be a troll

you're install is a fucking mess. fix it before you buy another damn thing. 

edit: on a side note, i had an argument with my boss and i swear to god im right about this but he's got me second guessing.... we were talking about cross overs and I thought an active cross over system is done at the preamp level and its considered active because you are actively using pots or digital processors to change things where as a passive system uses capacitors and inducers that sit on the amplified, speaker level outputs and its called passive because you don't change it once you set it. but i was told im wrong and MECP states that active cross overs are at the speaker level output and they are active because its the higher voltage side of the system. ??? 

and neither of you can do a google search. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover#Passive

there's even diagrams. 

I agree with everything Lithium said.  OP you're continuing to blame all the issues on the equipment and throw money at new despite what everyone said in your first threads on the subject and now this one.  While the Q's are definitely great subs I think you need to focus a great deal more on the installation of everything else before you ditch the SP4.  

Could you describe your needs in a more trite fashion?  

Terminology is subjective.  Stop it.

And btw every single thread you've ever started shows you are ignoring the install.

i was ignoring the install, i am currently working on rebuilding it and fixing it. teh SP4 is non function so i was debating if i wanted to recone it or sell the motor which is why i started looking at other subs.

Il: i had googled cross overs but was told the websites i had found were incorrect which is why i posted on here to be sure.

The sub being non functioning is a different story.  I speak from about four years of experience with a pair of 12" Q's that they're the best subs I've used to date.  I think my 10" XCON will be right in there with them but I've not had enough listening time with it to make that comparison/opinion yet.

I have 2 Q drivers I'll be saving for a summer bump down.

OP, You are completely wrong about the Q vs SP4 debate. My setups consisted of in order of which they were installed. one 15in Q, then went to two 18in Q's, then went to two 18in SP4's, then went to three 18in SP4's. My main complaint of the Q setup when I ran the single 15 was it severly lacked the upper range (45-60hz) But it was in a low tuned enclosure.

The SP4's are far superior in every aspect when compared to the Q's. Your install is the problem.

that is what i shall do. ive been experimenting with fiber-glassing enclosures for my door speakers and sound deadening. seeing as i have not done much of this its more of a trial by fire where im just seeing what things sound like. quite literally cut my drivers side door into pieces playing around with all the configurations and such. i am amazed what a difference the sound absorption materials can play even with just slapping a speaker to the door... i had NEVER seen or used them before.

Is the owner of your shop learning disabled?  Seriously??

i will admit there are days...

i had the worst ever audio install come into the shop today, really astonished me at how much worse things can be than my own system.

on that note i had a chance to play with my cross over/eq today if only for about an hour. i am absolutely shocked at the difference a good digital cross over can make over a KX3... some very light eq combined with this Xover and i feel like i have a totally different system even tho i have yet to replace ANY parts.

Oh, and finally the install adjustments start.  

Oh, and finally the install adjustments start.  

every time this guy post something in a thread I have to read on as I learn something from his post always even though it may seem like he comes off like a dick...

lol, yea i get it. its hard at times (for anyone) to take direct and harsh criticism but all you can do is deal with it and take it in stride. there are times you fuck shit up and all ya can do is move forward.

i was waiting on parts and waiting on having enough time to dig into such things. over time i will fix my misunderstandings - there are just a lot of them so it will take a bit.

the next thing i want to do is fix my door panels. im replacing my drivers door due to rust issues so its the perfect time to ditch the huge 10" crachendos, there 2" MDF back space, and to remove the 1" spacers i have on my window track in my door. to that end i need to replace them with something that would fit in my install.

i was looking at these on a JX360/2: Dayton Audio RS225-4 8" they have very good response from about 90-1khz which is where i would use them, there physical size is FAR less than the crachendos and there efficiency is far greater and they take far less power. what are your thoughts on that speaker as a midbass?

Those Daytons are not noob friendly.  Absolutely difficult to use in a 2 way and a poor choice for a 3 way.  

i had a bit more time today to play with settings... i am currently running a 2 way but these crescendos... i have them x overed at 3Khz, anything higher and the vocals that come from them just sound horrid. it almost sounds like the speaker is not fully reproducing the frequencies like when i have heard speakers that are separated from there surround - thats what the crachendos sound like over 3Khz.