I'm looking at putting two digital design 8's (500 or 600 series) under my back seat.  My truck is a 2004 chevy ext. cab.  I was told by the customer service guy at digital designs, that 8's would be better due to air space.  Does anyone have a similar setup in a 2002-2006 chevy/gmc ext cab?  I listened to one guys truck that had one 8 under the center console of an F-250 crew cab, it sounded good to me.  I'm not looking to be heard a block away, but want something nice.  Also, I was quoted $200-$225 for a custom built box at an audio store (in OKC) to hold the two 8's.  Does this seem reasonable?  Has anyone had any dealings with digital designs, if so how did you like it good or bad?  Also, given my speaker selection what amp would you choose?  I was thinking about going with DD M-80.  I considered the DD M1c, but was concerned it is to much amp for what I'm wanting.  Also, looked at sundown saz1000-D.  Other speaker/amp suggestions welcome.  I want to keep it to 8's only around $150 each, and amps under $375.  IF, someone can convince me a single 10 will sound better than x2 8's in my given air space, then throw out your opinion.

It's refreshing to see someone looking at a more modest setup. I think a good pair of 8's would do you very well and there's nothing really wrong with DD except maybe the prices. $225 for a custom built box sounds spot on to me. It's hard to get a quality built custom enclosure for much less without building it yourself. Do you know if the enclosure they're quoting is sealed or ported? Either way the enclosure requirements for 10's are hardly any larger in most cases and 10's would offer more output whilst sounding great and offer more GOOD options than you'll find in 8's. As far as an amp goes there's no such thing as under powering a sub. That said, and IMHO I'd rather have more than enough power on tap than needed and have the headroom rather than have too little. So sure the M1c might be a bit much but if it fits in your budget it's the direction I would go if I were in your shoes.

As far as a budget goes, I really don't have one.  I'm trying to keep it simple though.  I'm doing my upgrades in steps.  I would like to have x2 10's, but after hearing x1 8, I think x2 8's are more than enough for me.  DD's main office is in my patrol district so I went in their the other day.  The customer service guy said they would take care of me, and suggested an audio shop.  DD suggested a ported enclosure, as did the audio shop.  They described it as a full length box (under the back seat), ported in the front (facing the driver), and the subs facing out (toward the sides).  So, are you saying 10's would be better?  Both DD and the audio shop suggested 8's due to air space, or lack their of.  I'm just asking, not trying to argue.  Afterall, I did ask for suggestions.  I've heard its better to have to much power, than to little.  I get the concept behind it, but dang, it costs more.  Then again, its like throwing performance parts at a truck.  You don't do it for gas mileage!  Thanks alton.  Anyone else???

alton spells out the reason for lookings at 10s pretty well. more options, more output, cost saving ( 1x 10" cost less than 2x 8" typically), etc.  Model a 10 vs the pair of 8s. or link me specs and i'll model them for you.

The only reason i see you going with 8" is if you're box is limited by the diameter of the subwoofer. Which, is probably not the case considering downfiring or upfiring boxes are pretty common for under the seat truck boxes. 

as for a ~1000watt amp i suggest a ppi p1000.1. Its small, does rated power, and its cheap. Easy choice imo 

http://www.amazon.com/P1000-1-Precision-Power-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B005KW10ES

Edited by lithium

Two 8's makes no sense. Box size first. Pretty

Two 8" subs can certainly produce a decent amount of output. I still remember the first time I heard this setup.

If I had your vehicle I would be looking at the Sundown SD-2 8" or 10" (shallow mount subwoofers). If space allows I always go with more cone area, really no reason not too.

Half decent box builder can get a ported 12 under the seat.

No offense to y'all's suggestions, but a 12 is out of the question. If I wanted to know if air space would allow for x2 10's, what all measurements would y'all need to make an educated speaker suggestion?

No offense to y'all's suggestions, but a 12 is out of the question. If I wanted to know if air space would allow for x2 10's, what all measurements would y'all need to make an educated speaker suggestion?

the volume of the space where the enclosure is going. 

Single 8 can easily take as much space as a single 12. Welcome to the world of ported enclosures. Stop guessing at what you want and ask your builder what space you will have. Space ALWAYS determines driver selection, doing it the other way around is idiotic. DD-8's were built to satisfy nuthuggers, not serve a purpose.

Single 8 can easily take as much space as a single 12. Welcome to the world of ported enclosures. Stop guessing at what you want and ask your builder what space you will have. Space ALWAYS determines driver selection, doing it the other way around is idiotic. DD-8's were built to satisfy nuthuggers, not serve a purpose.

Thanks for the input, nice picture, and yes you know more than me when it comes to audio.  However, as I originally stated, I'm looking at 8's.  If you can make a good point for 10's please do.  I also said 12's are not an option.  Why do you dislike digital designs?  If you've dealt with them get it out there.  I'm just making an assumption based off the "nuthugger" comment.  Which would also lump me in with that since that is what I'm considering.  I DONT APPRECIATE THAT.  Don't slam something or someone, without a reason especially on my thread.  Thanks again for your input.  Now, on to space under the seat.  A box 55 wide, 9 tall (in front), 7 (tall in back), and 12-14 deep.  That is outside to outside on all measurements.  Will x1 or x2 10's be ok?  Is a ported box better?

10's are always better than 8's in a ported alignment simply due to enclosure volume.  A 8" might use .6-1 cft and the 10 might use 1-1.5 cft but this is total net volume.  When you combine proper port area to each driver the 8" sub will have the same if not larger total enclosure volume.  Then add that the 10 inch driver has way more displacement than an 8 inch it's a no brainer.  Even if you don't need the output you can back off the gain with the 10 and have a cleaner sound due to less distress. 

Summary.  10 equals same size if not smaller box than the 8 plus more output and possible cleaner output.  

I'd personally do a single 12 on drivers side down-fired with the port firing to the passenger door as it would be the same output as the two 10's and be cheaper.  That's IF your installer has the ability to do such an install.  After 500 or so installs under back seats of trucks that's what I'd do.  But mt second option would be two 10's downfired on driver side with port firing towards passenger door.  The one thing you do NOT want is to face the port or the sub forward.  You want them to load off of something being that close to you.  

8's are a terrible sized sub and that one is lackluster. Your reasoning for choosing an 8 is not founded in logic as it will be outperformed by either a pair of 10's or a single 12. Bang for the buck it's a no brainer to do a 12. And yes, I've put both under the seat of a NBS Silvy...that portion is pointless though since the reality is that in the space you have 8's make no sense. Also shows a lot about DD if they actually recommended that. I'd run like hell from any other advice they gave you as well.

Thanks for all the input everyone. The only reason I'm stuck on 8's is because that is what dd and the guy at the audio shop suggested. Plus I'm not looking for a killer loud system. Other than dd, what brands do y'all suggest. I've looked at sundown, skar, ssa, and sound qubed. I still would like to stay less than 150-175 per speaker. If you all feel like x2 10's would not struggle under my back seat, and it seems you don't. Then I'm definitely open to running 10's. How do y'all feel about jl audio subs/products?

What is wrong with a single 12 for $350 since that is your budget? The guy from DD misled you, following his advice isn't what you should do.

I don't really have alot to add here that hasn't been said-  Other than I had an 04 ex cab chevy myself, and ran 2 12" Alpine type S sub in a prefab underseat box.  Why you are so against a single 12 is beyond my comprehension.

I won't try to talk you out of what you want to do- if you want to run 2 DD8's- I am sure thay will make a good amount of knock for you.  DD- as well as your install shop, want to make the most money off of you as possible- if they could make more moola be convincing you that 1 12 would sound better- that is what they'd be pushing on you.  These guys here are trying to sell you on bang for the buck. that is all.

I'm clear on what yall are saying, trust me I'm listening.  So what about the other brands I listed???

Really the box is step 1, the rest is easy. Fitting any brand anything into the wrong enclosure is ridiculous. Buying the wrong profile sub for the box you can build is equally ridiculous and both those factors are WAY more important than what brand the sub is.

I'm clear on what yall are saying, trust me I'm listening.  So what about the other brands I listed???

I wouldn't go with skar. His subs aren't the best imo and he has a shady history. These are reasons why I wouldn't give skar my money. SSA, IA, sundown, AQ/SQ all have subs in you're budget and are proven too be some of the best.

Also please listen to these guys lol they definitely know what the hell they're doing. DD just wants you to buy their subs and your install shop doesn't give a fuck about you, more than likely and just wants the easiest way to make the most money out of you. The guys on here are making sure you get the deals and the right subs.