Sign in to follow this  
yukonblack

15K rms 6 amps vs 2 amps

What would be the most efficient way to reach 15k rms? 

Options are 2 Crossfire 8ks, 2 Ampere Audio 7.5s, or 2 Ampere Audio 8.0s

VS

6 Scv 3ks, 6 Skar 2500s, or 6 American Bass 175.1 VFLs

I will be powering 12 15s so I am looking to get around 13 to 15k rms.  Cost wise 2 amps would be cheaper.

I vote 2. But I'd do 2 IA 80.1s. Post a build log.

What kind of 15's would you be using and in what vehicle? Sometimes space becomes a factor when you're dealing with the shear amount of amps. I'd think with a ton of amps that phase alignment might be something that would have to be held accountable. I'd personally go with the tfe 8.0's over the others mentioned simply because it's more power.

What kind of 15's would you be using and in what vehicle? Sometimes space becomes a factor when you're dealing with the shear amount of amps. I'd think with a ton of amps that phase alignment might be something that would have to be held accountable. I'd personally go with the tfe 8.0's over the others mentioned simply because it's more power.

Same here the 8.0

I am in the middle of redoing mike singer's dora the explora(05 ford explorer).  Subs have not been finalized yet.  Tantric md 15, Sundown Sa-15, and American Bass XFL 15 are the front runners at this time.  Original build was 12 XFL 15d4s on 3 ab 750.1s.  He got 15k clamped and 160.9 at 47 out of it.  I am trying to go with more 4th friendly subs and more efficient amp set up.

Edited by yukonblack

I thought about doing 3 tara amps 8ks as well. 

After what Taylor posted about the 8.0s, you will get way more than 15k if you can maitain a great voltage.

8.0s get my vote as well as IA80.1s

After what Taylor posted about the 8.0s, you will get way more than 15k if you can maitain a great voltage.

8.0s get my vote as well as IA80.1s

The IA80.1s gets my vote also.

If physical size is a concern the IA 80.1 is a beast at 16 volts. The Ampere TFE 8.0 is just plain brutal! Make sure your electrical is capable to handle the current draw!

Electrical will not be an issue.  Dual alts and 14 batteries.  I am trying to stay 12 volts for now.  Investment to go 16 would be crazy with buying the amps.

Just wondering if efficiency will be better with smaller amps vs just 2 amps. 

Edited by yukonblack

280 and 340 mike singer units

Their's the whole "rumor" of having better efficiency with multiple smaller amps vs larger amps, also to lower box rise. But nothing proven or well documented to make the investment worth any. Just grab the two TFE 8.0ks or you could wait for the Taramp HD30kSPL which is 12v and 6-way protection. Expect pricing to be around 2200$-2800$ released to be sometime spring. 

That is why I was asking this question.  Lots of guys around me are advising against larger amps and going smaller for better efficiency.  TFE look like a winner

I think you already no what you want to do so just do that but I would go big or go home lol can wait to see the buid log on this one

The tfe 8 was actually tested to put out around 15k so definitely not small.

The main reason most people suggest getting smaller amps is due to warranty reasons.

Repair centers either refuse to work on large amps or the cost to fix them are very high.

Taramps uses unconditional warranties and once its out of warranty, while i do not know the cost of repair, i can tell you the 30k uses 3 of the hd8000 toroids and 0 rails.

power transfer is done under the board on this model.

We know the HD line is very cost effective and the repair center is very good at their job so i would assume the cost shouldnt be too high to repair these if out of warranty.

If  I wire 3 of the hd8ks to 2 ohms each charging at 12.5 how reliable will they be? In the past it had 3 ab 750.1s it got 15k clamped, so I am looking for that same power this time around.

Every install is different so it will be hard to say exactly what 3 amps together will put out, even if you do find someone who has ran 3 before.

If  I wire 3 of the hd8ks to 2 ohms each charging at 12.5 how reliable will they be? In the past it had 3 ab 750.1s it got 15k clamped, so I am looking for that same power this time around.

I'd say pretty good.