Thekid5678

In search of new Sub, Please help

for $500 USD  I would have built you a massive Kerf flared port that looked like MickJaggers Lipps tuned bang on 30h

Would you have paid for the plane ticket here? :-P

I don't fly.......LOL

The enclosure and shipping would have been about (wild guess ) $700 to $750 canadian

your $500 USD equals about $625 Canadian with the exchange right now

Also, another thing I did today, totally did not want to tell you.  I stopped by another shop. I'm 99.9% sure this guy knows his S#*T.  He set several records for Kicker back in the day (Spl).   He said the box isnt as bad as I am thinking, but the tuning is slightly off.  He told me that one major issue I am having is my truck (04 xterra)    What is sounding like distortion, he said is a lot of cancellation occurring off of the rear hatch.   That is actually what I am doing before I try to take the box back to the original shop and look like a fool trying to get my money back.  He is going to help me next Tuesday to try to see if there is a way we can get the box to sound good.   If not, I will probably try to get my money back on the box, since like I stated before, it's not what I asked for.   I did make up the story about having to go out of town for a family emergency, because I didnt want you all to think I was stupid for going to another local shop.  Like I said though, I trust this guy 100% as he seems to know what he is talking about, and has the trophies/certificates to back up his talk, and his spl van was even featured on tv.   

Like I said, next Tuesday, he is having me come to his shop at 9:00 A.M. and he is going to see if sleeving the port and trying to lower the tuning will help,  Or (I cringe when saying this) is going to see how the box sounds sealed, which he would put a temporary plug over the port and see how it sounds.  He said he wants me there, because he wants to go off of what I hear and see if I am happy with any of the results, (That right there shows me he cares)     He also told me he would not charge anything unless we get it sounding good and I am happy, and if we get to that point, he is going to charge me practically nothing. Which for taking up a lot of his shop time, means a lot to me.

I will keep you all updated with how things go 
:-)  Tyler

If the enclosure is modified by the guy your talking about the shop you got it from may not refund you.

If the enclosure is modified by the guy your talking about the shop you got it from may not refund you.

Both the sleeve and port blocker will be temporary. 

Sounds like trouble to me....

See about the first shop and keep on it...than go to the next shop because your just blowing money around...

Well, I'm kind of in a bind here. What do you reckon I do?

Have you measured your enclosure yet? Port and all? If so post the dimensions.

Box:

Depth: 21"

Width: 41 1/2"

Height: 19"

Port:

Depth: 12"

Width: 7 1/4"

Height: 7 1/4"

if he used 3/4" material you should have about 7.88 cf3 after you take off the port ( .4861cf3  ) and sub displacement ( .34cf3 )

and you should be tuned at about 31.47hz ............... providing there is no bracing eating up any CF3

BUT.............................

your port Velocity is about 13% ........

I suspect the slope on your 25hz sub sonic filter is leaning towards 30hz too ...... don't expect much

low end extension with that thing in the way 

if those measurements are  correct you have more port noise than anything.......

Box:

Depth: 21"

Width: 41 1/2"

Height: 19"

Port:

Depth: 12"

Width: 7 1/4"

Height: 7 1/4"

if he used 3/4" material you should have about 7.88 cf3 after you take off the port ( 4.861cf3  ) and sub displacement ( .34cf3 )

and you should be tuned at about 31.47hz ............... providing there is no bracing eating up any CF3

BUT.............................

your port Velocity is about 13% ........

I suspect the slope on your 25hz sub sonic filter is leaning towards 30hz too ...... don't expect much

low end extension with that thing in the way 

if those measurements are  correct you have more port noise than anything.......

There is bracing/diffusers on the inside.  Not sure if diffuser is the correct terminology or not.   Tomorrow after work, I will get a drill and pull the subs out and take some pics of the inside. 

Here are some photos of the inside of the box.  I only took the right subwoofer out, because the left side is identical. Let me know what you all think.

gjY5mA8.jpg
xYc2Q7i.jpg
JrOeBwO.jpg
jvU52FE.jpg
w8Vu5V6.jpg
kAFGTmy.jpg
Edited by Thekid5678

edited because of confusion.  Ignore this post

Edited by Thekid5678

Why are you wanting to delete this post?

The "reply" lol, not the whole thread.. I was going to use the space on that reply for more pictures, but didnt need it

I dont understand why a shop would make and enclosure with that low of port area

So with those pictures, what do you all think I should do?  Is the design complete shit? And I actually have room to complain?

oh my...............

from what I can tell the subs are split apart by a double screen door brace and the port

( say good bye to acoustic coupling ) ...you just lost up to 3db right off the bat before you even turn the subs on

the subs should have been mounted with in a voice coil diameter of each other with no restrictions between them 

so they could CUP the inner volume together with out fighting turbulance

the entrance to the port has no 45* on the outer wall and there is verticle and horizontal bracing at the port opening

and it is kind of boxed in

with the high port velocity and the way they have constructed the interior the port noise must be just awfull 

The port noise you are referring to,  could that be what I was describing in my first post after the box was built?  This was how I tried to describe it

"Also, no matter how I tune the amp and tweak the head unit settings, it seems like something just doesnt sound right. It's almost like there is distortion, but its not distorting. It's really hard to explain, and would almost have to be heard in person to understand what I am talking about."

Edited by Thekid5678

crank it up to where is sounds shitty and have a listen to the port.....

that new pic shows a double baffle with a top trim peice , that changes it a bit

inner volume is now 7.998cf3  , take off sub displacement .34 and port displacement .486

that leaves you with 7.172cf3

take off slightly more for the window brace and peices glued to the walls

your tuning is 33hz and the port velocity isn't really that bad , here are a couple screenshots

I put it thru 3 different programs ..the velocity was slightly different but we will go with the new Termpak

20150515W9M000000000000000000000000FF0F95BBB0C0P0013

20150515W9M000000000000000000000000FF0F95BBB0C0P0012

I do not like the way the subs are seperated by that  double window bracing and port ,
that's just  stopping  the subs from efficiently cupping the interior volume

that new pic shows a double baffle with a top trim peice , that changes it a bit

inner volume is now 7.998cf3  , take off sub displacement .34 and port displacement .486

that leaves you with 7.172cf3

take off slightly more for the window brace and peices glued to the walls

your tuning is 33hz and the port velocity isn't really that bad , here are a couple screenshots

I put it thru 3 different programs ..the velocity was slightly different but we will go with the new Termpak

I do not like the way the subs are seperated by that  double window bracing and port ,
that's just  stopping  the subs from efficiently cupping the interior volume

So, what should I do?  Is port noise my issue then? Or is it just the acoustics of my xterra?   I just want to make sure I have everything correct the next time I go to talk with the shop that built it.