Cj the newbie

Getting The Right Watts

Hello quick question involving wiring two 2ohm subs to an amp.

If the amp is rated for 3000 watts at 1 ohm mono, how would one wire the subs to reach 2500-3000 watts? Should it be wired regulary or bridged?

You don't bridge a mono amp. It would depend on if the subs are dual or single coil.

Well I'm referring to the sundown 3000 watt amp, and dual ssa icon 12" 's to help clarify...I could get one or two ohm versions of the subs I just honestly guessed 2 ohms was the way to go. 

For two subs, you would want dual 1 ohm version. Wire the coils of each sub in series, then wire the subs together in parallel. That would get you to a final 1 ohm load. I would encourage some reading to learn some of the basics like this so you have less of a chance of ruining some nice new equipment.

You need SSA Icon D1 subs, if you want to run a single amp on both, at 1 Ohm.

You get D2 if you want one amp per sub at 1 Ohm each.

Good luck. Ask all your questions here, before making mistakes. This forum is very helpfull. you can hace all the right advices here.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

Hopefully this helps you

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurationsm.asp?Q=2&I=12

Go to the12volt.com for more car audio information.

This helped a lot...but when it shows the series/parallel wiring a positive and negative on each sub is wired together but that's where it ends, like not put into the amp...so basically you're only using one set from each?

Parallel you tie the + from both together and the - together.  Result is the impedance value is then divided by 2.  ie, 2 4ohm coils in parallel yield a 2ohm load.

Series you run the - of one coil to the amp, the + from the other coil to the amp and then connect the other two leads.  This results in a 2x load or with two 4ohm coils an 8ohm load.

Then you can combine things, ie if you have four coils you can do parallel on two and series on the other two.  

27 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Parallel you tie the + from both together and the - together.  Result is the impedance value is then divided by 2.  ie, 2 4ohm coils in parallel yield a 2ohm load.

Series you run the - of one coil to the amp, the + from the other coil to the amp and then connect the other two leads.  This results in a 2x load or with two 4ohm coils an 8ohm load.

Then you can combine things, ie if you have four coils you can do parallel on two and series on the other two.  

I should have phrased that differently, it was recommended to put each coil of the sub in series, and wire the subs in parellel and I'm trying to figure out that, when I looked at a diagram it had one set of positive and negatives from each sub wired together but not to the amp...I suppose YouTube might be the ticket to fully understand that one by seeing it haha

Yea you wire the pos. From one coil to the neg. Of the other coil then the remaining pos. And neg. You wire to the amp

Rockford fosgate has one of the better diagram's that I've seen.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/support/wiringwizard.aspx

Choose your options there, and it gives you possible outcomes based on wiring.  It does not have dual 1 ohm as an option so choose the dual 2 ohm, and adjust math accordingly.

This site states what everyone said to do to get low ohms actually gives 8 ohms?