Florida_Audio

Do you really need 3 ouputs for headunit for front/rear speaker and a sub?

So i am still confused on head units....

So I called the local shop where i want to get my car audio equipment installed at, due to their reviews and prices for installation. But the dude on the phone just told me some concerning things... makes me rethink even going there to get the installation done. Or maybe he is right? He says he has been doing this stuff for many years.

I told the guy i wanted to get 2 front component speakers installed, a new head unit, and an amplifier for the speakers. The amp will be 4 channels, to allow for upgrade of 2 more rear coaxial speakers later. And the head unit will be one with 3 outputs, front, rear, and subwoofer. The guy told me that the 3 outputs are not needed at all and too much. He said only 1 or 2 would be fine. i told him i wanted the 3 to allow for a subwoofer and rear speakers later on. he said its still not needed, because only 2 should be needed. He said that the subwoofer output is not needed because you dont normally need to change the subwoofer settings for fade using the head unit if the subwoofer installation is done well? Im not even sure what the fade setting does for subwoofer, i think me mentioned front and back fade or something? is this true? i thought u have to have the subwoofer output so you can actually allow the subwoofer to produce the bass along with the music?

someone on this website explained it pretty well to me that i DO NEED the 3 outputs to be able to hook these things up.

Also if some1 can tell me how to give you guys a plus 1 for helping me, im more than happy to do it. Someone in my other thread was beyond helpful and id  like to +1 if i can?

You could get an eq like the eqs746 and would only need one output on the head unit to go into the eq. then it has front real and sub output .  . 

If I was you I would just do a little research and do the labor your self. Most shit with car audio is not to hard forreal. . . 

Where are you located? 

You don't NEED the 3 outputs, but it can simplify things and make it easier to control.  Without knowing the application specifics, it. will be hard to explain further.

2 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

You could get an eq like the eqs746 and would only need one output on the head unit to go into the eq. then it has front real and sub output .  . 

If I was you I would just do a little research and do the labor your self. Most shit with car audio is not to hard forreal. . . 

Where are you located? 

located in florida. im wondering if any users here are in florida and nearby maybe can help me out, and i can pay discounted fee for labor :]

also all the local shops want to charge quite alot to install these things. then again this guy said it would take around 4 hours to install 2 component speakers in the front, the head unit, and the amp for the speakers.

seems like a bit longer than it should take?

would be nice

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

You don't NEED the 3 outputs, but it can simplify things and make it easier to control.  Without knowing the application specifics, it. will be hard to explain further.

ok thanks. what do you mean by application specifics? maybe i can elaborate on it?

Edited by Florida_Audio

Florida is a pretty big state...

If you buy the wiring harnesses hooking up head units isn't that hard, nor is hooking up an amp.  I understand if you have a new car and no tools, but it's kinda fun to get into the hobby and figure this stuff out on your own.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Florida_Audio said:

ocated in florida. im wondering if any users here are in florida and nearby maybe can help me out, and i can pay discounted fee for labor :]

also all the local shops want to charge quite alot to install these things. then again this guy said it would take around 4 hours to install 2 component speakers in the front, the head unit, and the amp for the speakers.

seems like a bit longer than it should take?

would be nice

ok thanks. what do you mean by application specifics? maybe i can elaborate on it?

Forsure can take that long but It Is not that hard. . How much are they trying to charge for head unit amp and speakers? 

1 hour ago, frogcase2002 said:

Forsure can take that long but It Is not that hard. . How much are they trying to charge for head unit amp and speakers? 

all the local shops that ive called have similar pricing.

the shop im speaking about here is priced as

65 to 85 for components

amp is 85

head unit is 50 to 65

so $200 to $235 for these total. thats around 55 to 60 bucks an hour if it is 4 hours. i guess maybe that is a good price? its just sort of depressing thinking about how much that all adds compared to the amount i am paying for the parts. the install price, and price of the hardware are pretty close lol.

1 hour ago, SS Teacher said:

Florida is a pretty big state...

If you buy the wiring harnesses hooking up head units isn't that hard, nor is hooking up an amp.  I understand if you have a new car and no tools, but it's kinda fun to get into the hobby and figure this stuff out on your own.  Good luck!

i cant figure out how to copy and past this quote to add it to the post i just made?

but, im on west coast of florida. Ft myers, Naples, Cape Coral area.

You definitely don't need 3 outputs...in particular for the goal at hand.  Just ignore the rear speakers they are a waste of money.  Absolutely NO USE even in a suburban.  The bummer though is that there aren't really any good 2 output head units so you'll get three to use 2.  Having a dedicated sub and front output is nice.  If you find that in a 2 you are fine.

21 hours ago, ///M5 said:

You definitely don't need 3 outputs...in particular for the goal at hand.  Just ignore the rear speakers they are a waste of money.  Absolutely NO USE even in a suburban.  The bummer though is that there aren't really any good 2 output head units so you'll get three to use 2.  Having a dedicated sub and front output is nice.  If you find that in a 2 you are fine.

wow thanks for clear explanation!

makes sense, so i do need 2 outputs on my head unit, but you are saying that not many head units have a sub pre out and a front pre out?

these are the two i would need, sub pre out and front pre out? i dont need the rear pre out?

or would a head unit, with front and rear pre outs, be able to be used for front and sub? wondering if the rear pre out is compatible with a subwoofer?

edit: i also am looking at this EQ    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6655_Clarion-EQS746.html

looks like it can be used if i get a head unit with only 2 RCA outputs, front and rear?

but would the head unit with 3 RCA outputs be easier than installing this EQ? but... would this EQ offer better quality sound and adjustments and be a good upgrade?

and this product is a line driver and an EQ, but also seems to have all the outputs needed for front rear and subwoofer?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18601_Hifonics-HFEQ.html

ugh.... so lost now, whats the difference between these? and why would someone use these?

i do plan on getting an aftermarket head unit, 2 front component speakers, and an amp. and possibly a cheap subwoofer. wondering if either of those 2 items i posted above are useful and why?

thanks again!

Edited by Florida_Audio

Easiest way to do it is to purchase a HU with front, rear and sub pre amps. You will only need the front and sub. Purchase a set of well made componants, a solid amp, and get a quality install performed. If you sre willing to do it yourself, there are ample tutorials online, and with 'plug and play' harnesses for your vehicle, installation is rather simplified. 

One thing you are not factoring in (since you want amps and a sub) is wiring material, and a box. Keep in mind just like with the installation of the components, the box for the subwoofer can really make or break the quality.

J

6 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Easiest way to do it is to purchase a HU with front, rear and sub pre amps. You will only need the front and sub. Purchase a set of well made componants, a solid amp, and get a quality install performed. If you sre willing to do it yourself, there are ample tutorials online, and with 'plug and play' harnesses for your vehicle, installation is rather simplified. 

One thing you are not factoring in (since you want amps and a sub) is wiring material, and a box. Keep in mind just like with the installation of the components, the box for the subwoofer can really make or break the quality.

J

ok thanks. hmmm so if i do only want front and subwoofer. does the subwoofer output have a specific type of output? or can i just get any head unit with 2 preamp outputs?

ill probably be getting the subwoofer and box later on. budget reasons for now. but i hope the speakers should be fine for bit of bass, with the amp and EQ

how much should the wiring materials cost? i think ive looked them up before, and its around $40 for amp wiring kit, and around $30 for speaker wires to amp?

Edited by Florida_Audio

Well I would look for something that soecifically does front and sub outputs. Not just any ol two outputs.

The speakers shouldn't be covering your lowend at all. Lower midrange sure, but not what a sub does. Not at the frequency range of a high end set of components to see what I mean. Good job keeping the budget in mind.

Wiring is one of those things where over kill is better than under kill. Look at what you will be pulling for aperage in the future. Not just what will do for now. No sense in paying for wire twice right? Get what you need first.

J

Oh, and those eq's are pointless.  Most are in fact.  Not saying you won't need some EQ, but first you need to know what is the anomaly you want to eq out is.  

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Well I would look for something that soecifically does front and sub outputs. Not just any ol two outputs.

The speakers shouldn't be covering your lowend at all. Lower midrange sure, but not what a sub does. Not at the frequency range of a high end set of components to see what I mean. Good job keeping the budget in mind.

Wiring is one of those things where over kill is better than under kill. Look at what you will be pulling for aperage in the future. Not just what will do for now. No sense in paying for wire twice right? Get what you need first.

J

thanks. what type of speaker wire would i need then?  and what do i base the amperage on? the amount from my amp only?

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 9:47 PM, Florida_Audio said:

i cant figure out how to copy and past this quote to add it to the post i just made?

but, im on west coast of florida. Ft myers, Naples, Cape Coral area.

Contact Jeff@  Clanton Customs he's a good friend of mine,tell him I told you to call.Maybe he can recommend a good audio installer.

(239)820-0030

He may or may not still be open,they're in the process of moving back here to Tn

He has a few jobs to finish before he come up permanently. 

1 hour ago, garychurch84 said:

Contact Jeff@  Clanton Customs he's a good friend of mine,tell him I told you to call.Maybe he can recommend a good audio installer.

(239)820-0030

He may or may not still be open,they're in the process of moving back here to Tn

He has a few jobs to finish before he come up permanently. 

wow thanks. ill give him a call when i can. appreciate it !

23 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

thanks. what type of speaker wire would i need then?  and what do i base the amperage on? the amount from my amp only?

Base the amperage on what your amp will pull and what you plan to pull in the future. As for thespeaker wire, I usually run 16AWG for my componants, and a minimum of 10 AWG for my sub.

Sub you could use a much smaller gauge.  Depends on power and distance.

You're thinking to much about the head unit.

Get one with 3 rca outputs, and focus on what you need : bluetooth, iphone/android reader, cd, video,...etc

If you have never installed anything in your car, pay what they want ! All shops have the same prices, so you know what to pay.

In Florida, you must find great shops, and lots of equipments. I've seen videos of a shop in Naples, Fl, with SSA and other good brands in the store. I can't remember the name. Take a look at the Modified Section, here.

3 hours ago, Notorious97200 said:

You're thinking to much about the head unit.

Get one with 3 rca outputs, and focus on what you need : bluetooth, iphone/android reader, cd, video,...etc

If you have never installed anything in your car, pay what they want ! All shops have the same prices, so you know what to pay.

In Florida, you must find great shops, and lots of equipments. I've seen videos of a shop in Naples, Fl, with SSA and other good brands in the store. I can't remember the name. Take a look at the Modified Section, here.

ok thanks. theres only 2 local shops that have similar prices. both are around $200 to $240 to install 2 component speakers, a 4 channel amp, and the stereo.

but best buy is $289 for these.

one of those local shops tried to tell me all JBL brand items saying they are the best and all they carry in stock. I told them i wanted to buy my own brands and not be limited to those. They also said i should just upgrade to a good JBL subwoofer for best performance increase to stock system. and then later upgrade rest. And they wanted $400 for sub and installation. And i asked about sound deadener, and they said thats useless. These 3 things made my not want to go to this company. They only do audio equipment and have been in business over 20 years. but still, these sound like uneducated statements? Like subwoofer only covers a tiny range of sound, right? i want clarity and details. bass can come later

Im considering best buy, even though its well..... best buy.... ugh.... turn off.

but they offer a lifetime warranty for some things that may go wrong due to their install. and theres best buys all over, not just one shop, like the local shop.

What is your guys opinion on best buy to have it installed? it seems like it really depends on the person who will be doing the installation, not really based on best buy, but based on the person doing the work? Should i risk it?

What place is in Naples , Fl, that you have seen, the ones ive found seemed a bit sketchy to me? One place wanted $700 bucks to install, when the other 2 wanted around $200. Not gonna pay $700, sorry, way too much

you could buy all the tools you need and install everything yourself with far better results on your own for less money. fuck that shop 

Edited by lithium

I paid $700 for a Delta Unisaw, lol

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Florida_Audio said:

Edited by frogcase2002

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I paid $700 for a Delta Unisaw, lol

Wish I had one