Sign in to follow this  
havok13154

JL w7 12" vs SI D2 12"

how does the SI D2 12" stack up vs the JL 12W7?

i don't want JL as i am going for brands not in most retail stores, i want to know how this will compare SAME POWER ON BOTH. i have seen people post on other forums and they compare one to another but the power is differnt.

how does the SI D2 12" stack up vs the JL 12W7?

i don't want JL as i am going for brands not in most retail stores, i want to know how this will compare SAME POWER ON BOTH.  i have seen people post on other forums and they compare one to another but the power is differnt.

I don't understand. If you don't want the JL, why even pose the question. :ughdunno:

Even better, if you just search the threads in this section alone, you should be able to find the answer easily. ;)

I think he just wants to know how it stacks up against the sub... I'd go with the mag... Can't fail with any piece of car audio on this forum...:D

I think he just wants to know how it stacks up against the sub...  I'd go with the mag... Can't fail with any piece of car audio on this forum...:D

:thanx:

that is what i wanted to know, how they stack up.

i don't want to have the same system as everyone else. that is why i want something else, but better is also nice.

i did search for 12w7 and i got a lot of stuff but no one seemed to give the answer i was looking for. i wanted a stack up, not a jl is better or si is better.

like witch is louder, sound qualtiy, area of affect (how far away people will hear it).

if someone knows that i would be VERY happy. i'm getting a SI anyways i just want to see if i can brag about it.......

let the subs talk for themselves :)

like witch is louder, sound qualtiy, area of affect (how far away people will hear it).

#1: All depends on your application

#2: All subjective, thats up to YOU.

#3: That shouldn't matter, the music is for YOU, not the other people on the road.

My .02$

If it makes you feel better, I got rid of my 13W7 for my Mag.

To me the W7 has a "weird" sound to it. A few years back I had an Adire Brahma 15 setup and it was simple a better sounding woofer compared to any W7 setup I had listened to. The W7 has an odd resonant sound to it making it sound "tubby" to me. Others describe this in different ways, but it never sounded right to my ears (except for Josh99TAs 8" W7, that one sounded great).

As for my tastes... I switched out the Brahma for three of the first generation Mag 12s in my old car as I liked the sound of them a bit more than even my Brahma. Since then I down-sized in my new car to a single new generation Mag 12.

I like the W6V2 alot better than the W7. Not only the subtle sound differences, but the price/performance thing too... W6V2 is a hell of a sub.

But so is the Mag :)

thanks for the input. i'm sorry but i can't afford to buy everything i want to test it all. that is why i joined this forum to get help.

dub 7's... while loud.... have a sound that can't be explained really...

its almost like its playing its own song, and not the song you're listening to....

Loyd L.

I like the W6V2 alot better than the W7. Not only the subtle sound differences, but the price/performance thing too... W6V2 is a hell of a sub.

But so is the Mag :)

I agree.

w7 is distorted. not SPL sub distorted...just distorted. kinda like the tube amp of speakers. sounds "warm"

subs like the Brahma play the signal that is given to them extremely acurately. People that are used to subs like the w7 dont like subs like the brahma because its too clean. Kind of like people that are addicted to tubes dont like solid state amps as much. :)

w6v2, on the other hand, its a nice assed sub. Very compareable to RE's SE...and now that RE sent crazy and pushed the toilet lever...the w6v2 can be had for the same price as the SE so may as well go with JL

/OT

IME, the w7 doesn't like the jl recommended boxes..lol..we've taken two outa the recommended boxes, added about .75ft^3 with about 1.5 times the port area and they come alive.

i don't think the w7 has a distorted sound too it either..but it is "airy" or whoshy like eldo said. at least in jl recommended boxes, go bigger and they sound good.

teh mag on the other hand..well..even in smaller boxes sounds great. and being backed by someone like nick is just an added plus. they are a whole lot easier to install too..lol...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i don't think the w7 has a distorted sound too it either..but it is "airy" or whoshy like eldo said.  ...they are a whole lot easier to install too..lol...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My thoughts exactly. The W7 does have a very distinct sound to it that some people don't like (like myself). What our Mag's don't come with are the SI supplied screws. :wacko:

I did NOT notice any distint sound to the W7.

I also have not heard ANY SE that can even come close to a W6V2 or W7. IMO, the SE is nothing more than a budget minded beater. I wouldn't ever use it in a sentence relating to SQ or any premise of some. IT can sound great for what it is, but I PERSONALLY don't feel it belongs anywhere near the W6 whatever series.

I really liked the W7 a LOT, but when it comes down to it, only the Mag could do everything I asked of it. It ALWAYS sounds great, is adaptable to any application I can imagine for it, takes abuse like a tanks, and dammit, it just looks great.

No, thats the only one that will work on PE

You can also get a fishman grille but they are like $40.

I did NOT notice any distint sound to the W7. 

I also have not heard ANY SE that can even come close to a W6V2 or W7.  IMO, the SE is nothing more than a budget minded beater.  I wouldn't ever use it in a sentence relating to SQ or any premise of some.  IT can sound great for what it is, but I PERSONALLY don't feel it belongs anywhere near the W6 whatever series.

I really liked the W7 a LOT, but when it comes down to it, only the Mag could do everything I asked of it.  It ALWAYS sounds great, is adaptable to any application I can imagine for it, takes abuse like a tanks, and dammit, it just looks great.

SE set ups ive heard where very clean sounding and got very low. maybe not as good as the w6v2 but very compareable IMHO.

But since the price of an SE is as much as a w6v2 now get the w6 :coolugh:

i don't think the w7 has a distorted sound too it either..but it is "airy" or whoshy like eldo said.

dub 7's...  while loud.... have a sound that can't be explained really...

its almost like its playing its own song, and not the song you're listening to....

Loyd L.

listening to :musik05: but hearing :yoji:

:lol2:

only thing that sucks it that only one grill will work for the sub.  I want a SAFE sub.  I have a lot of crap in the trunk at times.

any other grill work for the 15" mag other then this one? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=260-444

any grill will work, you'll just have to raise it up off the front baffle with some spacers. might look a little goofy, but.......... weigh the pros/cons of having a protected driver if you need it.