mrray13

mythbusters do a 161 at 16hz!!

unsure of where to put this, i'll do it here...

with wayne harris himself onthe termlab, mythbusters proceeded to bust the myth that spl will destroy a car immediately.

by building a ~50" speaker, attaching it directly to the driveline of the MB diesel and revving the gas, they proceeded to do a 161+ @ 16 hz legal on the tl. in the process they popped the sunroof completely out of it's tracks. the slow motion camera was cool as you could see the sunroof move in and out with the aluminum coned sub.

they called tghe myth busted, along with wayne, because as was easily pointed out, when the sunroof popped, all damage really ceased. the air pressure was allowed to escape.

was a neat show. 161 @ 16hz..lol...that's going to be hard to beat...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

true..lol..but it worked...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

"Deci Bells"

:lol2:

I watched all of it, thought it was pretty sweet. Maybe better design for the sub?? And don't use a sun roof car next time!!!

That 161.2 at 16hz was sweet... you could see the car shaking like crazy!!

I watched all of it, thought it was pretty sweet.

Ya, it was pretty jank how the connection was made.

I wouldnt call it busted because the equipment broke

At least they took it seriously. I think the flaws in the sub had more to do with the underestimation of the forces involved. Conact cement to hold a tractor trailer size surround ? 4 -Metal rings, one on each , then bolt the surround down. The design they had, all be it simple. Was quite effective, just needed some refinement. :)

damn I missed it

Ya, it was pretty jank how the connection was made.

I wouldnt call it busted because the equipment broke

they called it busted because the car didn't fall apart. after the sunroof was destroyed, teh massive destruction stopped.

i agree ramos..they didn't really have the time, nor do i think they really thought this kind of stuff could happen, to design a proper sub. in anycase, with this particular car, i don't think the results would've changed. well, they might have gotten a 165...lol...

denim, it will be reaired...

On Air (et/pt): On the Discovery Channel

AUG 16 2006

@ 09:00 PM

AUG 17 2006

@ 01:00 AM

AUG 20 2006

@ 01:00 PM

AUG 27 2006

@ 08:00 PM

AUG 28 2006

@ 12:00 AM

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

thanks kent

you are welcome aaron.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

"Deci Bells"

:lol2:

it's the correct pronounciation. At least they didn't go pmr and throw the jackhammer in and thump massive deebeez :)

Correct for people up north...down hur we say "des-ible" or jusr "D-B"

lmao

Yes, that "woofer" could use some serious refinement. Not really a woofer though, Mechanical noise pressure inducer? If they had better set it up for the forces involved and it held togather for serious test trials, using higher frequincies and vehicle resoncance I beleive that "design" is more than capeable of 180+dB.

If they used some sort of spider to get more linear movement, a better surround and pushrod design and a lighter cone (Aluminum?) I beleive it would be possible to shear sheet metal assumeing all of the windows held in untill then.

i hate not having cable, but i really don't watch t.v.

Yes, that "woofer" could use some serious refinement. Not really a woofer though, Mechanical noise pressure inducer? If they had better set it up for the forces involved and it held togather for serious test trials, using higher frequincies and vehicle resoncance I beleive that "design" is more than capeable of 180+dB.

If they used some sort of spider to get more linear movement, a better surround and pushrod design and a lighter cone (Aluminum?) I beleive it would be possible to shear sheet metal assumeing all of the windows held in untill then.

sheet metal is stronger than aluminum. my guess is that the alu cone would break first. titanium, cf, fg cone ?

anyway, the mythbusters have limited time to build, but the result is admirable.

local cable company might be broadcasting with some delay compared to the us. i hope i won't miss the episode.

Out of the whole episode the best thing wasn't the score, but the quote.

"This subwoofer plays 3 melodies: first gear, second gear, and third gear."

I saw the HO Problems vehicle in there, too.

Also, seeing as my father works for a road commission, I can say the "washboard road" myth was totally bunked by an improperly set up experiment. In reality those angle irons should have been at least 8" apart.

sheet metal is stronger than aluminum. my guess is that the alu cone would break first. titanium, cf, fg cone ?

anyway, the mythbusters have limited time to build, but the result is admirable.

local cable company might be broadcasting with some delay compared to the us. i hope i won't miss the episode.

The cone didnt fail, the surround and pushrod linkage did. If treated pulp cones can handle thoes kind of levels I'm sure 1/8" aluminum could.

What made it not a woofer? Not a traditional woofer, but it was a woofer non-the-less. It's design was simply to move air which is exactly what a woofer does, albeit by electromechanical means and over a desired frequency range. The only means they had available to change frequency was the Engine RPMs.

Also, linearity would have no effect on pressure levels, just distortion figures.

IMO, it was move of the moving mass that caused the damage than the actuual pressure.

When you get a 20ish lb piece of metal swinging around like that things are bound to break.

Inertia can either help or hinder.

What made it not a woofer? Not a traditional woofer, but it was a woofer non-the-less. It's design was simply to move air which is exactly what a woofer does, albeit by electromechanical means and over a desired frequency range. The only means they had available to change frequency was the Engine RPMs.

Also, linearity would have no effect on pressure levels, just distortion figures.

Yes, its a woofer, I was kidding around. They make mechanical noise makers similar to that capeable of extreme decible levels. A little less barbaric though.

and it was an aluminum cone...

and it is a woofer..it produced 16hz notes...spin the engine faster and it'll produce those frequencies as well...lol...

we are toying around with the idea of redoing that experiment at work...with the same model of car as well..lol..

btw...ROE has the episode up for those who can't watch it otherwise....18 minutes of it...

and the washboard was 8" apart, 4" tall....according to the episode..but they were probably measuring at the top...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I will tell you from experence the faster you go on a washboard road the better. I do 50 down the road that often washboards by my GF's uncle's house. Then agian I have the suspension to do that semi-safely.