Sign in to follow this  
baggedbirds.com

Got my (2) ssd12 box designed

its right at about 4 cu.ft if I can add some volume when I actually start fitting I am shooting for 4.2 cu.ft.. Not including the port and speaker displacement.

Port 4 3/8" x 11 1/4" x 23" long @ ~32hz

The fron is angled so it will fit to the seat area and I can seal the cabin from the trunk. I am going to make a custom seat that has a large rectangle hole cut off out of the center and have it foamed and upholstered to match the lower part of the seat.

Thanks foir looking

fibox.jpg

bagged is that middle piece bracing (the one that looks like a shark fin, sorry i don't know how else to describe it) ?

Yeah - that was my plan. I didn't want to obstruct the flow in there too much but add some stiffness to the baffle. I may double the front baffle. I have to see how it fits first.

I've read the reviews and this box specs out almost identical to what you tested. How did your ported box compair in volume to your sealed.

I'm coming off of (2) JL Audio 15w6's running my Zapco Studio 500 @ 6 ohms to this box running the Zapco @ 4 ohms. Is this one going to blow the JL's away in every repspect? I like like tight but really wanted to se what these things can do. I am normally a sealed box guy myself.

I had JL W6 12's so i can't speak on behalf of their 15's

the JL w6 is an excellent sub in my opinion. Out of the subs i owned (prior to SSD's) i liked there SQ... the kickers had better SPL but the JL just played "nicer"

I would love to say i did a direct swap but i just love building boxes (practice makes perfect) so we built one to spec for the SSD.... BUT the JL box we built came recommended by 2 different techs at JL (sealed box)... So i guess in that retrospect it was sort of "fair"..

this is the thing.... the JL played hella loud on higher bass notes...

for example, DJ laz mami el negro utterly slammed on the JL... LOUD and just nice...

when i installed the SSD i quickly popped in my DJ laz and to my suprise it was softer BUT more accurate than the JL MUCH more SQ IMHO.. (spent couple hours meesing with crossover setting from EQ to Amp to Headunit) and i couldn't get it louder....

So i moved on to a different song

Kid sensation - Back to boom... Same result. seemed like the JLs were louder.... But the SQ was just amazing for the SSD....

Bare in mind We popped the old JL BOX into the system played it... took it out, put the SSD box in played it......

then out of the blue my cousin martin says "hey lets play some songs that didn't sound good on the JL"

Out comes T-pain - I'm sprung ..... Damn Bbirds if you could've seen the look on EVERYONES face when it hit the lows..... i swear I literally almost had a smile past my two ears... It was SO much louder and lower then the JL's..... I mean not just loud and low but even MORE accurate than when it played the other higher freq songs....

Trust me, you will hear and literally FEEL how much more crazy this sub can get..

The ported we tested was only at 500 watts.. to me the sealed sounded more acurate and louder to the ear.... though i have to admit the ported moved much more Air..... We are making a new ported with a bit more sq ft of port and will be popping it in hooked up to the new amps and electrical upgrades i made (1k watts per sub and a trunk battery keeping voltage above 13V).. i suspect the ported will literally shake my car to pieces.... But i like to test sound by MY EAR and not some SPL meter so i am a bit different...

Oh side note... I was looking for a sub that can play lower than my JL's as the high punchy bass really isn't my style (yeah the kickers i could've thrown back in but the SQ sounded so nice, I thought there would be no MIDDLE ground being nice low bss with good SQ)... Order up, 2 SSD.... MMMM now i'm getting my fill of low shaking "accurate" bass... Oh BTW thanks to scott, my wife thinks WE need to go jogging more since she can feel her bum bum shake when the bass hits...

tried to tell her it wasn't fat but an FI (pronounced FIGH for the n00bs)

One last point of note... I do not recommend this but recently i did finally full tilt my volume for about 20-25 minutes with the 1K watts... felt the cones..... Warm but no where near hot.... God i want to break these to get some BL's but chit it's not that easy to break these subs...

Edited by theabunai

I had JL W6 12's so i can't speak on behalf of their 15's

the JL w6 is an excellent sub in my opinion. Out of the subs i owned (prior to SSD's) i liked there SQ... the kickers had better SPL but the JL just played "nicer"

I would love to say i did a direct swap but i just love building boxes (practice makes perfect) so we built one to spec for the SSD.... BUT the JL box we built came recommended by 2 different techs at JL (sealed box)... So i guess in that retrospect it was sort of "fair"..

this is the thing.... the JL played hella loud on higher bass notes...

for example, DJ laz mami el negro utterly slammed on the JL... LOUD and just nice...

when i installed the SSD i quickly popped in my DJ laz and to my suprise it was softer BUT more accurate than the JL MUCH more SQ IMHO.. (spent couple hours meesing with crossover setting from EQ to Amp to Headunit) and i couldn't get it louder....

So i moved on to a different song

Kid sensation - Back to boom... Same result. seemed like the JLs were louder.... But the SQ was just amazing for the SSD....

Bare in mind We popped the old JL BOX into the system played it... took it out, put the SSD box in played it......

then out of the blue my cousin martin says "hey lets play some songs that didn't sound good on the JL"

Out comes T-pain - I'm sprung ..... Damn Bbirds if you could've seen the look on EVERYONES face when it hit the lows..... i swear I literally almost had a smile past my two ears... It was SO much louder and lower then the JL's..... I mean not just loud and low but even MORE accurate than when it played the other higher freq songs....

Trust me, you will hear and literally FEEL how much more crazy this sub can get..

The ported we tested was only at 500 watts.. to me the sealed sounded more acurate and louder to the ear.... though i have to admit the ported moved much more Air..... We are making a new ported with a bit more sq ft of port and will be popping it in hooked up to the new amps and electrical upgrades i made (1k watts per sub and a trunk battery keeping voltage above 13V).. i suspect the ported will literally shake my car to pieces.... But i like to test sound by MY EAR and not some SPL meter so i am a bit different...

Oh side note... I was looking for a sub that can play lower than my JL's as the high punchy bass really isn't my style (yeah the kickers i could've thrown back in but the SQ sounded so nice, I thought there would be no MIDDLE ground being nice low bss with good SQ)... Order up, 2 SSD.... MMMM now i'm getting my fill of low shaking "accurate" bass... Oh BTW thanks to scott, my wife thinks WE need to go jogging more since she can feel her bum bum shake when the bass hits...

tried to tell her it wasn't fat but an FI (pronounced FIGH for the n00bs)

One last point of note... I do not recommend this but recently i did finally full tilt my volume for about 20-25 minutes with the 1K watts... felt the cones..... Warm but no where near hot.... God i want to break these to get some BL's but chit it's not that easy to break these subs...

Damn, your posts are fuggin awesome.

That's all, carry on. :thanx:

BD, wish you were a little closer so I could come check them out in person. I know, I can't wait till next week when mine comes in. :P

got some more done. I doubled the front baffle.

100_2492.jpg

100_2493.jpg

and i painted the port. BUT - I see most people use a rattle can so it has a dull finish becuase the MDF soaks it up. So I thought - reguular wall paint, and for those that have apinted a insdie wall before , a roller adds a little texture to it. I think it turned out good. The paint was about $4 at OSH. I had to snip one of the rollers shorter because it rubbed the side of the port when i didn the bottom.

100_2494.jpg

100_2495.jpg

100_2496.jpg

100_2500.jpg

100_2497.jpg

100_2499.jpg

100_2498.jpg

Man let me know how it sounds, Loud, low, any port noise etc etc etc

That's the cubic foot we are going to make the new ported box (subs up port back)

Looks great love the rounded edges on the port

Looks very good!

sweet lemme know how it sounds!

The port came out quite nice and your wood work looks pretty good. Now what are your plans for finishing it?

Good looking enclosure!

Edited by DevilDriver

awesome job on that box, love the rounded ports.

got it wired and in. Too late to try it out. Pops good with a drill battery though :rolleyes:

Tapping on my old sealed 15w6's they are dead sounding - this box with the FI's have a little ring to them. I hope they aren't too boomy/sloppy or the box color the sound. We will see. I think i can tell aready they are going to kill the 15's in volume off the drill battery thumps i played with.

after testing and i end up likeing it ??? - i will make it look good in the car and seal the trunk off from the cabin.

100_2503.jpg

100_2504.jpg

100_2505.jpg

Very nice box! I recently spraypainted my port, yours looks very nice, very similar to mine, but mine is spraypaint.

picture075lw0.jpg

i got all of 10 min to listen to it so far. those with little kids know.

its louder than my sealed 15's were. i didnt mess with the gain between the switch of the boxes for a comparison and an that amp got pretty hot in 10 min.I might be crazy, but it seams tighter with more punch on bass drum kicks. is that possible with a ported box comapired to a selaed box?

the port is on the driver side and i did some bassmeckanic songs, it was like a fan behind my head with the air out of that port. No noise that i can hear yet.

definatly need some more time in the seat with these.

Sign in to follow this