Mike Troll

Your favorite headunit of all time?

My only request for this is that you have owned the unit. I dont think your favorite can truly be something you have never owned. You also must say why it was your favorite.

Of the ones ive owned I must say that my favorite is the Eclipse CD8053. It was really easy to use for all of the things you could change and tweek. I think my only real complaint was the touch rotary knobs that caused me to go from volume 12 to 345524352 billion with what felt like one click of the wheel sometimes.

i owned an eclipse cd8445, i agree with you on the wheel lol.

i love my pioneer 880. the crossover and EQ and all those features it has is what i like best.

CDX-C90. Owns all.

Of all the units I've owned;

Rockford Fosgate (Denford) RFX-8240

so far i like my 8053 the best. The wheel does fine for me, prefer the wheel on the remote more. If i could just figure out why the damn thing blinks at me i'd no complaints at all.

my alpine cda 7894. didn't skip. easy to use, looked good. only one real complaint. the low preout voltage.

my current radio is a close second. clarion dxz955mc. if it didn't skip when i'm throwin tones through the system, it would be my favorite.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Eclipse 55430 followed by the 8043 and Pioneer P1R ;)

It's been so long, I can't remember the model number; but it was a Pioneer deck I picked up at Wally World for $125, and it came with 5 1/4" wizzer cone speakers.

It lasted for years, through all kinds of abuse. It only skipped once, and it was when I was speeding downtown and didn't care to stop where the pavement was pulled up at an intersection. It played burnt cd's without a problem. To anyone who has used just one Pioneer unit, you the menus can be gone through in your sleep, very easy to navigate even while driving.

I gave it away when I got rid of the last car I had it installed in, and as far as I know, it still runs today. I bought the unit back in '99, and last year ran into the guy I gave it to; it was still working at that time.

It might not have had some of the nicer features, or 24 bit DA's; but the damn thing sounded good, and just kept on going, like the pair of BO-BO's momma got you in middle school.

The independent l/r graphic eq of the 880 put it at the top of my list. If they just added another bandpass so you could do a 3way front and 3 or 4 peq bands it would be the best headunit ever. In my mind tuning flexibility helps SQ more than anything else.

the 880 would have easily been my favorite had i not had massive noise problems.

eclipse 8455

I'm a big fan of the 880. The flexibility and appearance at that price point are hard to beat. I encountered some noise issues in a few vehicles which were quickly corrected by changing ground points.

I've never owned anything but Alpine units...out of those, my current 9835 is clearly the favorite. Excellent crossovers, the graphics make it easy to set things, and fast browsing of MP3 CDs.

All the head unit I could ever need unless I went to a P9 or H701 setup.

Alpine 9835.

nG

Same for me. It is my present deck. I am amazed at the feature set of the HU. It controls my system nicely.

I asked this question just to see everyones favorites. I also kind of wanted to see some opinions from everyone about them as I am looking for a new headunit as well. It seems the 9835 and the 880 are getting alot of good reviews.

I love my Eclipse 8454...

Eclipse 8053 followed by the 8445 which i am currently using

Edited by bdawson72

8053 for tuning flexibility and 8V preouts, close second was my Clarion DXZ745..... easy to use, good feature set and dual 24 bit DACs for outstanding SQ.

I've been content with my pioneer premier 670mp. But the only other's I have owned was a old pioneer 3400 and a jensen 7" in dash dvd player.

best deck i have had is my alpine 9855. more control than i could ever need.

Edited by rjajmr0221