Sign in to follow this  
djkloudz

Popping sound??

lately i been noticing a popping sound coming out of my BTL. I got it hooked up to two hifonixs bxi1606. is this normal?? have any of you guys with btls heard this before??

What size sub and options? Also, whats your enclosure specs?

Thanks,

Scott

when are you hearing the sound?

I got a 15" with the hixmax, 3rd mag,and pchamfer options. Its in a 7.5cuft box 48x20x20 with 1.5" thick walls all around, tuned to 32hz approx.. Yah on some notes when i turn my volume up a lil bit aggressively loud, there's a loud popping noise going along with the bass note. what could be the cause of this? because my volum setting is at 17 and it hits very loud, but the max total is 40! I cranked it up to 20 and it was just too much! my ears were hurting because of all the pressure and kuz of the popping sound. I'd like to really pound the xiet outa my sub without it making that terrible noise.

Edited by kloudy

Is the popping sound like if someone held a Popsicle stick above the cone and when it moved it hit the stick ?

Edited by theabunai

I had my BTL make that kind of a noise for one day did some adjusting on the amp and haven't heard it again but would also like to know what it is?

yah im pretty sure i jus need to adjust my settings on the amp, but i still wanna kno why it makes that popping sound.

did you ever get a dmm to set your gains on the seperate amps??

Is this at any specific excursion level at higher volumes? Or just all the time?!??! Definitely want to figure that one out.

Thanks...

Scott

also are you sure it's coming from the sub? any possibility the box is moving and causing the sound?

noo..havent bought one yet. i jus sent my truck to a shop so they could do the finishing touches. And scott, the popping sound occurs at high volume only. Not all the time, BUT lets say on my headunit, the parameters for the subwoofer level are -8 to +8. I got it at +2 and the volume is at 19 out of 40 and thats when the popping starts to occur.

vladd, im mos def sure its not any part of the box thats moving, kuz its a heavy, sturdy 200+lb box. with the sub in it it weighs ova 250lbs easily.

Is the popping sound like if someone held a Popsicle stick above the cone and when it moved it hit the stick ?

thats the sound it makes on mine. it only does it on bass above tuning. probably like 60hz or higher. my box is tuned to 31 hz. and its not every song, its not on sine waves either. theres a TI song that it does it on. it has some low bass that slams hard so i like to turn my sound up. but then theres this lil high freq punchy bass on top of the low bass and it makes my sub pop when i play it loud. i used to have my HU Xover set to 63 and my amp set to about 60. i recently changed them both to 50 hz, which is pretty good for rap but i listen to alot of rock too and 80hz sounds better on rock. so is it the box or the xovers? this also happened with my XXX 18.

sorry im not tryin to jack ur thread, but this has been bothering me for a while now.

thats the sound it makes on mine. it only does it on bass above tuning. probably like 60hz or higher. my box is tuned to 31 hz. and its not every song, its not on sine waves either. theres a TI song that it does it on. it has some low bass that slams hard so i like to turn my sound up. but then theres this lil high freq punchy bass on top of the low bass and it makes my sub pop when i play it loud. i used to have my HU Xover set to 63 and my amp set to about 60. i recently changed them both to 50 hz, which is pretty good for rap but i listen to alot of rock too and 80hz sounds better on rock. so is it the box or the xovers? this also happened with my XXX 18.

sorry im not tryin to jack ur thread, but this has been bothering me for a while now.

Are you sure it's not an issue with your amp??? I have gotten a popping sound out of my d1's but i know that i was over-exerting them.

im pretty sure its nothing to do with my being damaged or anything if thats wut u mean. i had this happen with a diff amp on my XXX 18. i now have a btl 18 and a diff amp.

shooter, no thats not the song im talkin about, its on trap musik album

could possibly be the song if it only happens on one song, I thought my right speaker was blown once b/c the song had scratching from the right speaker only.

i think its the bass from the song. not the song actually making a popping sound. it sounds like the voice coil is hittin the magnet, and i know that would be over extending the subs excursion limits, but why at higher freqs? i can understand at lower freqs below tuning but why above tuning?

Edited by johnnylemoine

is the cone moving enough for it to be bottoming out?

err n/m i really don't think the original poster's amp would be able to bottom out a BTL with his tuning unless he was playing notes way below tuning

Yanno what, i could be bottoming out my btl, iono how with two bxii1606s, but some songs with push the xiet out of the sub. The excursion level was kinda scary to tell ya the truth.

power is not the only thing that can bottom out a sub...

Leaky enclosure (sealed or ported) can contribute to mechanical failure

This same thing is happening to me. I have a 15Q and it is popping while it plays at like medium volume. It sound slike the other guy said, a popsicle stick on the cone. Anyways its not bottoming out cuz the cone is barely moving at the volume its at. Its just pissing me off cuz its getting worse. anyone know what up?

might have knocked the dustcap loose

Sign in to follow this