Sign in to follow this  
JazzScreamer

AA Small Speakers

So everyone is excited about what new subs are going to be coming out in the next few weeks. This is great and all and I'm very excited myself (chad can attest to this). I was wondering if any new smaller speakers will be added to the Arsenal (get it Arsenal). I really enjoy the POLY's that I have and was just wondering if any new speakers may be coming out along with the subs. :puzzled:

We will have more polys a little while after the subs are rolling again... Then we are adding a slightly modified version of the poly to the lineup as well. This one uses a 6.5" basket and will have provisions for a car audio grill. I would rather switch over to this new driver only (same basic driver but with a different basket)... but the HT crowd has grown to love (and I feel rightfully so) the current driver and its HT styled/sized basket... not to mention that I want more of them for personal products :)

More small speakers in the works, but no date or info for a while. We are working on a full line up of products that dealers want/need.

Thanks...

Scott

Build a 6.5" full range...and you'll sell me for life :D

*drools*

X 11tey gazmillion thousand

lol... complete with whizzer cone :)

Sorry. While I am all for full range drivers (heck ive got a pair of 3" fullranges in horn loaded enclosures playing music through 3 Watt tube amps as Im typing this), Im figuring a high efficiency full range unit has very little value within the car audio market.

Thanks...

Scott

I was thinking more along the lines of the FR125 or Jordan JX92...doesn't have to be high-eff at all, I'm sure Creative Sound has sold a bunch of those little 4.5's :)

I have used the Jordans (many many years ago) as well as the Bandors and a bunch of others. I have designed full range drivers that are currently being used in home applications. I truly love full range drivers, but Im not sure that AA would be the proper outlet for them. I have several designs of smaller drivers done... just no where or real reason to market them. I do have a full range driver goal and I am well on my way to achieving it. But its much more of a personal design than a marketable one.

Who knows. Maybe when I get some free time (which is about as funny of a sentence as I could think of writing) I will push the ideas along again. But at the same time, I have much more marketable designs and 4 other patents to finish up... so I really cant see when I would find the time to devote to finishing them. Its not like a sub that I can whip up in a couple of hours... from the work I have done so far I can see a few months of work to really get things going.

Thanks...

Scott

I was thinking more along the lines of the FR125 or Jordan JX92...doesn't have to be high-eff at all, I'm sure Creative Sound has sold a bunch of those little 4.5's :)

Yup, they've sold a ton of the FR125's and WR125's, both individually and in the Exodus Audio and RAW Acoustics packages.

Hemp Acoustics makes a pleasant and efficient full range 6.5" (yes, complete with whizzer cone). In one of the designs from the frugel-horn guys, you can jam pretty good with a tube. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of most whizzer designs and prefer small drivers (ie. CSS's offerings) in rear-loaded horns.

I can't wait for some more small driver offerings.

:)

We will have more polys a little while after the subs are rolling again... Then we are adding a slightly modified version of the poly to the lineup as well. This one uses a 6.5" basket and will have provisions for a car audio grill. I would rather switch over to this new driver only (same basic driver but with a different basket)... but the HT crowd has grown to love (and I feel rightfully so) the current driver and its HT styled/sized basket... not to mention that I want more of them for personal products :)

More small speakers in the works, but no date or info for a while. We are working on a full line up of products that dealers want/need.

Thanks...

Scott

Thanks for the info Scott. Would you happen to know if the new Poly's would have a different mounting depth. It would be great to have just a slightly smaller mounting depth as to all install in many more places. I could of sure used that in my lastest intall.

Who knows. Maybe when I get some free time

Free time? What's that? I didn't know there was such a thing as free time... :D

I am very happy that the poly 6.5's will eventually be returning in both variations as Scott mentioned. I have got a theater room here with 10 channels worth of 6.5 poly mid based 2-way speakers and they aren't going ANYWHERE. I love those things. :)

The poly mid may not be considered truly full-range, but for a 6.5 it sure gets close. As it is, they already get up to ~8-10 kHz on-axis before they see any kind of major rolloff up top which is pretty impressive. There are already a lot of customers running them full-range for rear fill in their car setups.

Chad Kuypers

Ascendant Audio

Who knows. Maybe when I get some free time

Free time? What's that? I didn't know there was such a thing as free time... :D

I am very happy that the poly 6.5's will eventually be returning in both variations as Scott mentioned. I have got a theater room here with 10 channels worth of 6.5 poly mid based 2-way speakers and they aren't going ANYWHERE. I love those things. :)

The poly mid may not be considered truly full-range, but for a 6.5 it sure gets close. As it is, they already get up to ~8-10 kHz on-axis before they see any kind of major rolloff up top which is pretty impressive. There are already a lot of customers running them full-range for rear fill in their car setups.

Chad Kuypers

Ascendant Audio

So get them back on the market already!! I'm looking to build myself some new speakers, I need components for the car, and a home theater for the parents.

Hemp Acoustics makes a pleasant and efficient full range 6.5" (yes, complete with whizzer cone). In one of the designs from the frugel-horn guys, you can jam pretty good with a tube. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of most whizzer designs and prefer small drivers (ie. CSS's offerings) in rear-loaded horns.

I've been looking at some of those Hemp designs...I prefer my Fostex Sigmas though, no whizzers :)

I might try a pair of those OB some day though...I'm getting the urge to be openly baffled ;)

I've been looking at some of those Hemp designs...I prefer my Fostex Sigmas though, no whizzers :)

I might try a pair of those OB some day though...I'm getting the urge to be openly baffled ;)

Every body is: it's the next TL.

All the cool kids are doing it...:D

I don't have anywhere near the room required to do it right (too close to the wall), but I'm going to have almost a full sheet of ply left over from the Frugels, so I need something cool to build with it...if sound like they have potential I'll just hang on to them until I do get the room.

:)

Hopefully room treatments come with it

I had some PHY 21s and piezos for about 3 months (they were on loan). I had them in an open baffle set up and found them to be quite enjoyable. My first experience with them was about 7 years ago from Ocellias Tillia speakers. They were an incredible setup with rather interesting cabinets. The engineer had told me a lengthy story about violin makers and his passion for them and how he took that into his speaker/cabinet designs. I had expected them to be sonically inert like most high end cabinets... but they were about as thin and flimsy as you could possibly make them. But... this was the key to the sound and the resonances of the cabinet were tuned for the overall system.... hearing was believing.

I take the 5th on 2 Ohm Poly drivers ;)

any chance of some 2ohm poly's?

I'm confused...Why would you want 2ohm POLY's? I know some reasons, but could you explain your set up for a 2ohm midbass/midrange set-up.

will the new polys still be around same price and be able to drop down into the lower freq unlike other 6.5's i sending my cdt hd-6's (both of them) back to cdt cause the glue came undone completely on one of drivers, and partly on another from the spider... i think hpf to low and sending the hd-642 3 way 310 per side..... guess they weak.... hopefully im not charged as mishandling cause gains were accurately done and no distortion but hpf was around 85 - 90 when it says 100 with higher power....

what estimate of price for new polys 35$ per...?

The standard polys will be a little more (its one of those things I hate to do... but itll be offset by solid price drops on other lines). Im changing the inductance rings from the last version (only changes inductance characteristics and not specs) and pricing for steel and parts has gone up since the initial order of polys was made close to 2 years ago. But, the price difference will be minimal... Yes they will still drop the same. There really wont be any changes made to them at all. I love the current ones and the only real changes to the car version will be cosmetic (more car oriented in size) and not performance.

Is your HPF digital or just a marked knob? I have seen plenty of pots far from the marked values on the amp. Im running my polys at 80Hz with 125W to each one and they seem to be fine. I am digital with a 36 dB/oct filter though.

Thanks,

Scott

Willing to discuss specifics on the original and new ring design, and how they compare? Can we expect a good drop in inductance, or are we talking about a shorting ring design to simply decrease flux modulation by steering eddy currents back into the gap?

it marked but it not a marking in incriments... it just 2 marking beginning and end on my sundown.... i did by ear.... but it around 85...

Sign in to follow this