GnomeAudio

Need your opinion!

I had an idea a few weeks back.

Shipping has always been a huge concern of mine. Its not so much the weight of the enclosures that's a factor, but rather the bulk. A medium sized box shipped to california is at least $60, which is a cost I'm forced to pass on to the customer.

Packaging enclosures is also an important issue. According to UPS guidelines, I have to packgage each box with corrugated cardboard and seal it up with mailing tape. Packaging enclosures is a costly and time consuming process, which again is an expense that gets passed on to the customer.

My idea is to sell the boxes as kits. Each kit would include everything you need to assemble a subwoofer box. All pieces precut and predrilled, 1 tube of liquid nails and a caulk gun, a cup terminal, enough screws to fit everything together and a set of plans that tell you how the pieces fit together. The kit would be packaged in a small box (much smaller than the assembled product) and shipped for a much lower rate. Another advantage is that people actually get to build their own box. I think a lot of people shy away from having their boxes built professionally because they want the experience of actually building their own enclosure. This way, you get to DIY and you don't have to worry about making straight edge cuts or cutting perfect circles, because that part is already taken care of.

Because I wouldn't have to fit the pieces together, I could build them quicker which in turn lowers the cost of the enclosure and gets them out to the customers quicker. If all my calculations are correct, I could sell the SI Magnum D2 12" enclosure (2cuft@29hz) which now sells for $99 after the SSAudio forum member discount for about $75, and it could be shipped for about half the price that it currently costs to ship.

I will still offer ready-built enclosures for those who would prefer not to assemble their own box, however this gives my customers more options.

Let me know what you think of the idea. Good? Bad? Needs improvement? If you have any input or suggestions, please feel free to reply!

I think thats a great idea, give the buyer another option, they get to build it but all the tricky stuff is taken care of

I think thats a great idea, give the buyer another option, they get to build it but all the tricky stuff is taken care of

That's true. And I agree ... if some people want to do that, awesome ... saves you the effort. :)

But what I've been hearing from people who purchase boxes is that the reason they get them built is because they either don't have the skill/knowledge/tools, or time to build it themselves. So the question that comes from that is ... will they have the skill/knowledge/tools and the time to build it themselves ?

I would go with the way you're thinking right now. Leave it as an option, don't make it mandatory. I believe it's a good idea :)

- Steve

that is a great idea as for the post above me, skill/tools/knowledge comes with experience... gotta start somewhere =) and a kit for DIY is a good start...

that is a great idea as for the post above me, skill/tools/knowledge comes with experience... gotta start somewhere =) and a kit for DIY is a good start...

True. Never thought of it that way. I agree 100% :)

- Steve

Good idea it gives people more options. Some people just don't have the tools to build their own box but are too cheap to have some one build it for them ar even don't have the skill to plan a box out.

i think it sounds like a really good idea. it would be a good place to start like said before for building your own boxes.

its always good for the consumer to have many different options. it would be interesting to see what the percentages are after a couple months of providing both options.

The hardest part of buildiing the enclosure I find, is the straight cuts and circles. Your idea is right on point, it's a can't miss idea, because it even comes with instructions.

The fact that you will also include sealant and screws is wicked. If people can put puzzle pieces together, they can surely get this.

When I build enclosures, I take a little shortcut. I go to Home Depot and buy the wood, then pay them 10 cents per cut to give the pieces I need. They have a huge "wall saw" where they can just slide the wood in, measure it up, and drag a saw down the metal cylinder for a clean, perfect cut every time. I just design the pieces I need before I go in there, then tell them what I need, and they cut it for me. The first 6 cuts are free, then after that they are only 10 cents.

When I build enclosures, I take a little shortcut. I go to Home Depot and buy the wood, then pay them 10 cents per cut to give the pieces I need. They have a huge "wall saw" where they can just slide the wood in, measure it up, and drag a saw down the metal cylinder for a clean, perfect cut every time. I just design the pieces I need before I go in there, then tell them what I need, and they cut it for me. The first 6 cuts are free, then after that they are only 10 cents.

wall saws aren't very accurate, nor do they produce perfectly straight cuts.

there are only two ways i know of to make cabinet-grade cuts: CNC router or a specialized cabinet makers tablesaw (one of the ones thats anchored to the floor and made of cast iron or a similar low-resonance metal.)

^I'd have to agree w/ that about the "wall saw" I got my sheet of mdf cut into some basic pieces to cut home and I remeasured a day later and they were off by over an 1/8 of an inch on every cut. He was measuring right there, I watched him, but that huge thing isn't that accurate.

i got my cuts done at home depot. and when i put the box together the cuts were off and uneven. i had to go back and have them redo it.

mine were perfect either from there.... most were, but 3 boards were off by about an 1/8. I made it work though. If only we could trust them to make the cuts perfect, make things go much quicker ;)

panel saw...it's called a panel saw :wacko:

and gnome is right..cnc router is about the only way to get perfect cuts.....whenever there is a human involved in the measuring and cutting, there will never be a perfect cut...but close usually is close enough, and 1/8 isn't much....

but hey, i build vehicles for the mining industry, and we are allowed 1/4 difference..our motto..."ain't nothing a grinder can't fix"..so what do i know?!? :thud:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: