Sign in to follow this  
oldschool4life

Dewalt Drill...

150 bucks, there is no way I would touch that thing. My advice is to spend ~100$ and buy yourself a Ryobi or Craftsman 18-19.2v drill or somewhere in that range and you will be more than happy with it.

With a 500rpm no load speed and only 80in lbs of torque, it just dosen't have much at all in the way of power. 500rpm will not drill a hole very fast at all.

Save yourself some money and cursed lack of power and buy a real drill. :)

150 bucks, there is no way I would touch that thing. My advice is to spend ~100$ and buy yourself a Ryobi or Craftsman 18-19.2v drill or somewhere in that range and you will be more than happy with it.

With a 500rpm no load speed and only 80in lbs of torque, it just dosen't have much at all in the way of power. 500rpm will not drill a hole very fast at all.

$150???

:confused:

...this thing is $89 @ Home Depot.

$150???

:confused:

...this thing is $89 @ Home Depot.

I click the buy online button and came up with a 150 price tag...

I don't care if it's slow; I just want something to work.

Mount a woofer; drill a pilot hole or so.

It's not that I can't afford a better drill; it's that I don't wanna waste to much on something that will sit around more than it gets used.

I'll get more use from a cordless screwdriver vs. a cordless drill.

Just buy a real drill with a minimum of 14.4v

Out of any power tool you could buy, a drill gets used a lot. And usually gets a lot of abuse in the process.

You can drive a screw with a drill, you're hard pressed to drill a hole with a screwdriver, especially when it doesn't have a chuck that will hold a drillbit. Just get a cordless drill that has a clutch. I have one that I have beat on for several years that I got for less than $50.

I'm not a big fan of Dewalt tools.

As far as drills go, I have a Milwaukee cordless that's a couple years old, has a metal keyless chuck that I like a lot...the newer ones have plastic ones, which feel really cheap to me.

When I need power, I use a Hitachi that's probably two decades old...corded, keyed chuck and all...but I can't kill it. Worked great for drilling into the van's sheet metal :)

The newer hitachi drills are not the greatest. But I am a fan of Milwaukee and Bosch.

Gah, I guess working at Lowes does have advantages.

IMO you cant go wrong with the Dewalt 9.6 like ngsm posted. I bought two of these about 8 years ago and they are both still working strong. Used everyday for the 5+ years I was installing and still use all the time. They are perfect size and have more than enough torque for installing and most bolts.

I'm with the others. Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch, Hitachi >>> DeWalt

I have a 12V Rigid that I bought about 4 years ago. It's a tank. I used at work for most of those 4 years. It's been dropped, kicked, stepped on, hit on things, been left out in the rain, etc. It still works perfect. Only thing that I've done is buy a extended life battery.

A guy I worked with had a Ryobi that was better suited as a paper weight than a drill. Biggest POS I've ever seen.

Dewalt doesn't do much for me. Basically a rebadged B&D.

i would get a 14.4 makita drill. its fairly inexpensive and holds up quite well

ive used 14.4 dewalt bosch makita ryobi and 19.2 craftsman and the kita was my fave. i also own a 18v rigid, milwaukee dewalt and 28v milwaukee. and i still find my self going back to my little makita 14.4. its light, fairly strong 350in lb, and 1300 rpm. cant go wrong.

Dewalt doesn't do much for me. Basically a rebadged B&D.

the drill accessories yes, but dewalt is still dewalt and B&D is still B&D

they just bought them out quality is still the same for the power tools

I do car audio work on a semi daily bassis, but I own a maintenance business where I use drills/screwguns every day. I always have 2 drills on me, both 18v. The Hitachi drill was around 1-150. It has plenty of power for drilling pilot holes (even holes in masonry) and is light enough to hold over your head or outstretched when need be.

The Rigid costs around 2-250, and is an inch or so higher when sat next to the Hitachi. It weighs a few pounds more, but while it has similar ratings to the hitachi, it drills through anything I've thrown at it almost as well as my older Milwaukee drill. It's held up to a ton of abuse and is a pretty serious gun for 18v. I like most of the rigid drills I've used, but dewalt just doesn't appeal to me for much other than accessories.

Out of all the guns I've used I think the hitachi batteries recharge really fast, and are a great value for the price. While I'm not saying you might find something, or others down own something they like better, I think the new Hitachi stuff is pretty decent. It's light, but powerful enough to get most jobs done.

I'd hit up lowes and just see which one you like first hand.

i just use a Bosch 12V blue cordless drill

best thing i have ever purchased for daily things [at my work]

battery life is great [especially when u get two in the case] and fairly lightweight

for car use [audio boxes and such], its the best i had

i just use a Bosch 12V blue cordless drill

best thing i have ever purchased for daily things [at my work]

battery life is great [especially when u get two in the case] and fairly lightweight

for car use [audio boxes and such], its the best i had

Yeah those "bluecore" batteries are great for being NiCd.

The black and decker should be fine for very casual use, though and it'll run you a lot less than most of the others as long as you get it at walmart. If you go to one of the hardware stores they'll still charge you an arm and a leg and you might as well get something else.