Sign in to follow this  
bsmallard15

Hot amp

my amp has been really hot every time ive played my system..Ive had it for 2 days now. Is there a reason why this is happening, its hurts to touch if you keep your hand on it for more then 3 or 4 seconds. Only on the outsides. The amp is a zx1000 kicker. My sub is also get hot along with the amp, but not as fast and not near as hot. Is this normal..This is one of my first systems

Clip clip clip clip clip clip

how do i cut down on cliping. also my cd player when it gets really loud cuts out for a second but its antishock sooo how do i resolve the clipping?

Too much gain, not enough voltage.

so turn down the gain untill i get a capacitor or what do i need to do?

You need a battery and a better amp that puts out more power. A High Output alternator is a GREAT place to start too. More expensive...but worth its weight in gold.

DO NOT buy a capacitor. Do not listen to ANYONE that tells you they are good to have. Those people are lying to you. For the same cost, you could get a battery from walmart that will be 10,000 times more beneficial to your system.

In the mean time. Turn the gain down, and don't bump so hard. You are possibly doing permenant damage to your sub.

Edited by dopey

Too much gain, not enough voltage.

so turn down the gain untill i get a capacitor or what do i need to do?

You need a battery and a better amp that puts out more power. A High Output alternator is a GREAT place to start too. More expensive...but worth its weight in gold.

DO NOT buy a capacitor. Do not listen to ANYONE that tells you they are good to have. Those people are lying to you. For the same cost, you could get a battery from walmart that will be 10,000 times more beneficial to your system.

In the mean time. Turn the gain down, and don't bump so hard. You are possibly doing permenant damage to your sub.

Turn any bass boost off, and turn your gains down. If it's getting hot like that it's probably not sounding too great either. If it doesn't sound as good at volume as it does at 1/4 volume, full volume is too much. Get a more powerful amp that will push the sub to its potential without make that amp fight to do it, and take it easy on your equipment till you can. can't agree more with getting batts vs a cap.

People will tell you 'a capacitor will release the power quicker than a battery so it'll sound better when it hits', but what happens once that cap is drained? It must suck more power to recharge itself, doing nothing but making the problem worse on extended bass notes, while the battery will take much longer to drain. And as said about the alternator, where is the battery going to get the power without an alternator to keep things charged? That would be step #1 to me.

Hope this helps.

That amp should not run hot. Your installation is sub par and needs to be fixed pronto otherwise you will have a non-warrantyable failure on your hand quickly.

yeah dont get a cap. bat and HO alt are both great suggestions. wut kind of sub do you have? a Q possibly? shouldnt be a bad amp for that sub as long as u have a dual 1 ohm sub runnin at 2 ohms you should be good on that part. just do your elec system right.

yeah dont get a cap. bat and HO alt are both great suggestions. wut kind of sub do you have? a Q possibly? shouldnt be a bad amp for that sub as long as u have a dual 1 ohm sub runnin at 2 ohms you should be good on that part. just do your elec system right.

yea i have a 12q running at 2 ohms and this amp puts out 1250 watts to a 2 ohm load so its def not having trouble getting power to the sub.

Could it be that the sub is wired to .5 ohm instead of 2 ohms? Maybe double check the wiring to be positive it's not an installation error.

Could it be that the sub is wired to .5 ohm instead of 2 ohms? Maybe double check the wiring to be positive it's not an installation error.

I vote 1/2ohm install. As far as caps go everyone has their own opinion, I love my Alumapro Cap 15 and wouldn't run without it but then again I also upgraded the electrical as well. Wire the sub in series my friend, if you don't know how find out how asap.

I vote 1/2ohm install. As far as caps go everyone has their own opinion, I love my Alumapro Cap 15 and wouldn't run without it but then again I also upgraded the electrical as well. Wire the sub in series my friend, if you don't know how find out how asap.

i wired in series with a wire from one posotive and one negative to eachother and the other two to the terminal cup..i have the dual 1 ohm so that would make it a 2 ohm load im runing at

what would happen if he only had one fuse box at the battery running to that amp and not another fuse within 18 " of the amp... could that mess somthing up?

Sign in to follow this