kingsham

Mach 5 or not...subs and the decision

I brought my decision down to 3 subs...maybe 4

i want 1 15...but was looking at the Mach 5 MAW15's

Alpine Type R-15(vented...4cu ft. 30hz)

Kicker CVX-15(vented...4cu ft. 30hz)

FI SSD-15(vented...4cu ft. 30hz)

maybe SSA ICON 15(vented...4cu ft. 30hz)

or

2...Maw-15's(sealed...3.5 cu ft.)

I want LSQ...i want the lows to be smooth...

Often times...budget subs bottom out and have hard bass...not smooth...so wat is everyone's opinion?

Edited by kingsham

Two 15's vs one 15 anyday.

I understand your reply...but will those 2 15's have the good sound quality that one of those other subs would give me?

I like both the SSD's and the MAW's.

I understand your reply...but will those 2 15's have the good sound quality that one of those other subs would give me?

If you're looking for SQ, then perhaps one Q15...ported.

If you want SPL, one BL 15ported(if you're short on space)...or 2 maw 15's sealed (if your short on cash)

i have a cvx 15 ported in the wife's trailblazer. it's a wonderful sub. but it's not going to be mistaken for an LSQ subwoofer. it's meant to get loud and boom, and sound decent doing it. and it does that jsut fine.

another thing, two sealed vs one ported isn't necessarly good for the two sealed. remember, the port effectively acts as another sub, and one tuned to a specific frequency. so the one sub setup could very well be louder. however, with planned tuning at 30hz, two sealed with be on a pretty even playing field.

is budget a big concern? if so, teh pair of maw15s will be very hard to beat. and nevermind how cheap they are, they are very well made.

space is going to be about the same, so that's not going to be an issue.

weigh out which is more important, output or flat response. if output wins, go with the single ported sub, and tune a bit higher. if the flattest response is the primary goal, grab the maw15s and seal those suckers!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i have a cvx 15 ported in the wife's trailblazer. it's a wonderful sub. but it's not going to be mistaken for an LSQ subwoofer. it's meant to get loud and boom, and sound decent doing it. and it does that jsut fine.

another thing, two sealed vs one ported isn't necessarly good for the two sealed. remember, the port effectively acts as another sub, and one tuned to a specific frequency. so the one sub setup could very well be louder. however, with planned tuning at 30hz, two sealed with be on a pretty even playing field.

is budget a big concern? if so, teh pair of maw15s will be very hard to beat. and nevermind how cheap they are, they are very well made.

space is going to be about the same, so that's not going to be an issue.

weigh out which is more important, output or flat response. if output wins, go with the single ported sub, and tune a bit higher. if the flattest response is the primary goal, grab the maw15s and seal those suckers!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Im still debating...but those MAW15's are starting to look even better...

Anybody that has the MAW15...can you make a video of the subs playing Im In Love With a Stripper by T-Pain...b/c that song gets low...if it sounds good on that song...ill buy em...forshure

Just curious, what will a video tell you that specifications won't?

I'm not sure that song is the most demanding test of accuracy anyway...

Just curious, what will a video tell you that specifications won't?

I'm not sure that song is the most demanding test of accuracy anyway...

Good point...a video wont tell me much...but alot of the music i listen to(rap) has lows like in the tpain song...if it can hit lows like that w/ no sweat...im down for them!

If you're looking for SQ, then perhaps one Q15...ported.

If you want SPL, one BL 15ported(if you're short on space)...or 2 maw 15's sealed (if your short on cash)

explain me why you considered the maw's as a spl option...

The MAW's can get loud, but I am biased, so I am not the best person to ask.

anybody else have opinions? :fing34:

I do coming from a single maw 15 sealed. ;) It sounds great, and gets loud even though i dont have enough power to fully power it. Great sub all around. By my ear, i would say i am in the 131-134db range off 300ish rms, in the trunk of a 98 2 door neon, sealed box 2.45 net. Someone up here in Canada scored 138+db in a celica iirc on the car. sealed as well. he had about 800rms on tap though.

Tl meter. I think the post about it is on here somewhere, in the Mach 5 part, or it may be on the canadian car audio forum.

I would get the MAW's , I too am biased, I love Fi , I run Fi , but for the price of the MAW's I would have to buy them just to try them out, I have not seen too many/ any bad reviews on them.

I plan to get 2 sometime AFTER I get another BL 10" , they are only $79 plus shipping from SSA, you can afford to try them out without breaking the bank, if it turns out you dont like them, they will sell in the FS section :)

Two actually.

1) Get the pair of Maw's

2) Dopey's post is useless...again

Two actually.

1) Get the pair of Maw's

2) Dopey's post is useless...again

+1

AQ HDC315 will do plenty of LSQ if you have the power for it. The new ones will be out soon and the price is even lower.

I ran 2 RL-P 15's in 6 cubes and switched to a single AQ in 4.5 cubes when I moved the RL-P's into the HT. The AQ kills the RL-P's in lows/output and SQ is quite good, not boomy or peaky at all. I was pleasantly surprised. Granted I was on the "small" side of recommened enclosure sizes for the RL-P's.

If you're on a tight budget and don't have a ton of power I'd do the MAW's for sure. Seems like a lot of sub for the $$$.

my opinion is if you're listening to rap you don't care about SQ you just don't want it to sound like crap, and none of those speakers will sound like crap.

my opinion is if you're listening to rap you don't care about SQ you just don't want it to sound like crap, and none of those speakers will sound like crap.

Yeah...but i listen to ALOT of rnb...especially the old stuff...

Those new AQ HD3's look nice

I want to be loud...but i also wanna sound good...ive also look at these...and heard pretty good things about them

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ProductID=18351

I was gonna portem...if i gottem

Im jus in a delima...the Mach 5's are nice cause im in highschool and dont have alot of money...i also wanna be unique....but also i wanna be louder than them cats at my school...

I listen to a lot of old school rap, RnB, soul, funk, 70's/80's rock and the HD's SQ is more than up to par on all of them. And for those times I want to get stupid loud they put a big smile on my face.

Single HD in a ported box would do you nicely...

I am just baffled to the songs you guys call low bass. If i had to choose something for a 15 for ~400 dollars. I would be all over an Fi Q (probably even the 18) or the maw15 combo.

I am just baffled to the songs you guys call low bass.

Indeed.