Sign in to follow this  
Bumpin300

Fi vs RE

Hi again,

I have been doing a lot more online research and I have been busy triple checking my available space in my trunk and I have come down to 2 choices for my set up. The car is a 05 chrysler 300c and I have a new Digital Designs M3 for a sub amp (2700 wrms @ 1 ohm). The space that I have available is 5.2 cubic feet after 3/4 mdf displacement but not subs or port. I am trying to decide between an 07 15" XXX in the optimal box 4.0 @ 33 hz with a port face of 54" or 2x sealed 15" Q's in about 2.3 cubes each after displacement/bracing.

Which set up will play lower? Which will play louder? I am confident that both will have great SQ as I will be listening to a wide range of music (read rock - rap - techno - opera) All of which have low end bass that needs to be reproduced.

I know this is a FI site, but the FI designer also made the XXX so I figured it was the best place to ask :)

Thanks

hmmm, i dont think an xxx can handle 2700watts daily.

edit, well maybe it can lol

haven't heard either so, idk, but for the price i would go wt FI. If price is no issue, let other people put there 2c in first,.

I'd rather have the 2 sealed Qs. You know they'll take the power, and with the filter turned off you can drop as low as you please, ported you'll have to worry about making sure not to play too far below tuning. You might be happier with the sealed enclosure since you listen to a lot of rock. Just my thoughts. A lot of people like RE just because it's expensive anymore, but that's the reason I'd lean away (kindof like JL).

i agree with Tej... a Q in the sealed will really bring out some nice SQ and bare in mind that the sealed enclosure will hit the low end LOUD too (without sacrificing SQ)....

you will hear this alot here..... Fi subs ALL MODELS can get loud and low and sound freaking damn good doing it...

I vote for 2 Q's. The XXXs are amazing subs but you can get 2 Q's and still have some money for what a XXX will go for...at cost.

The reason I followed Scott to Fi is partly because RE's prices are getting out of hand. $1600 for a damned sub?

BTW, I have an 07 XXX 12 (actually an 06 model). It sits in my closet as my Q keeps me plenty happy...just bought a second Q. I will go with 2 Q12s in a sealed box when I get back from Iraq in Jan.

Plus 72 lbs on the XXX vrs 54 lbs for 2 Q's?

All the reasons would indicate that 2 Qs will be the better way to go.

I love my Q 12's. As far as your choices, the Q's have the cone advantage, obviously. They have a price advantage, assuming both are bought at retail or close to it. The Q's have a slight weight advantage.

IMO, the Q's sound every bit as good given both are in a properly tuned/sized enclosure.

I have only ever heard a XXX 12" ported. I def liked it. However, it was for all of the reasons above that I chose my Q's. Haven't looked back.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Please keep them coming :D There seems to be a lot of concern with cost. I understand that the difference on paper looks vast, however, I live in Canada so I will have to pay for shipping, brokerage, customs, taxes, etc so the difference in price is not that great. Are there any other opinions out there that do not consider cost?

Thanks very much

I loved the old XXX. I heard one of the new XXX's and I had my doubts, but it was fantastic. That said, the price is very, very high (especially if you're buying in Canada). For the cost vs. performance ratio, the Q's are probably a better option, especially if you're going ported. The XXX has a big strength in it's linear excursion, but in a ported enclosure, you'll never even approach the limits, unless you have so much power on tap that you'll be putting the coil in trouble thermally.

With the new XXX here in Canada, you will be looking at $1000-$1500 dollars for a 15"; even after shipping and duties, the Q's will be much more affordable.

the MX would also be a good contender...but again the q would be more affordable

I'll go with the 06 XXX cause I never can afford them. But 2 Q should be a good contender.

Sign in to follow this