I am extremely interested in buying a ssa icon 15 but I am concerned because my amp puts out 1500 wrms @ 1 ohm. Will the icon hold up to that kinda power?

well has many will tell you if your smart with your gains sure..the sub its self can take 1000-1200 watts daily..btw what kind of amp is it?

Edited by denalilvr

Easily if you are intelligent about it.

I am extremely interested in buying a ssa icon 15 but I am concerned because my amp puts out 1500 wrms @ 1 ohm. Will the icon hold up to that kinda power?

Just because your amp is rated for a certain amount of power doesn't mean you have to send the sub that much power.

i've sent my 12" ICON ~1100wrms since day one. no issues what so ever.

not that it needed it though, lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I am trying to plug this sub into the wins id program and I need a couple more specs than the site gives.

Le?

dia?

z?

try plugging the sub into an enclosure, you'll get more realistic results that way and you don't even need t/s parameters for that.

I believe it was said before that anything over 1200w is not worth it. But like JimJ said, even if you had a 10,000w amp, you can still run your 15 on that amp, amp won't output max power all the time if you don't want it too.

If you set your amp up right and the sub is thermally taking abuse, drop the gain a little or drop your preout voltage a tad.

try plugging the sub into an enclosure, you'll get more realistic results that way and you don't even need t/s parameters for that.

I believe it was said before that anything over 1200w is not worth it. But like JimJ said, even if you had a 10,000w amp, you can still run your 15 on that amp, amp won't output max power all the time if you don't want it too.

If you set your amp up right and the sub is thermally taking abuse, drop the gain a little or drop your preout voltage a tad.

What do you mean plug it into an enclosure?

i was being funny, :)

seriously, dont use software to attempt to see what it "might" do because it is usually always wrong.

What he is saying is that real world results will differ from software results. If you need box ideas, we have the suggested starting sizes on the Icon's website.

Ok thats cool. I figured it up last night and I will have 3.75 net cubes at tuned to 33. What do you guys think about that setup?

Should be sweet. :)

Just because your amp is rated for a certain amount of power doesn't mean you have to send the sub that much power.

So I adjust the amount of power going to the sub by adjusting my gains, or is there another method

seriously, dont use software to attempt to see what it "might" do because it is usually always wrong.

So you suggest that software is totally useless for sub driver evaluations? Not even for sorting out the interesting drivers from the rest? I think there would be quite a few that would beg to differ? (Just my personal obs.)

So I adjust the amount of power going to the sub by adjusting my gains, or is there another method

volume knob

volume knob

x2

based from my experience with the Icons they can take well over their rated rms with a CLEAN signal

just be carefull that you do not over power it to hard and hit the limitations of the suspension (as with any sub)