Sign in to follow this  
dem beats

SQ sub choices

I have an saz 1500 on tap and want the best SQ I can get out of it, and be able to play verry verry low deep bass with authority. I was thinking 18"s or so but the ICON is sooooo nice. I also thought about the last gen d2 mags, but a pair would be harder to find and I get confused with how I could wire them to not go lower than the 1 ohm load.

What suggestions do you guys have? Any other ideas?

It's going in an expedition 98 EB edition.

You could wire the last gen mags to 2 ohms. But that power would be nothing for them.

A single 15" ICON D2 would probably be your best bet on that power.

I think the last generation of Mag could do very well with 750W, IMHO.

Other than that...let's see....Rainbow Vanadium, Morel Ultimo, Focal Utopia, Aura NS, Arc Flatline, JL W6v2...just some of my favorites :)

You could wire the last gen mags to 2 ohms. But that power would be nothing for them.

A single 15" ICON D2 would probably be your best bet on that power.

Are you saying for 2 15" mags or one?

I thoguht the Icon was rated to be around 1000 watts, I would be tossing 1500 at it if I had it down to 1 ohm.

I think the last generation of Mag could do very well with 750W, IMHO.

Other than that...let's see....Rainbow Vanadium, Morel Ultimo, Focal Utopia, Aura NS, Arc Flatline, JL W6v2...just some of my favorites :)

You have great taste as always Jim! =D

They all look pretty nice. I think the Morel is just plain beautiful, I'm sure it sounds better. Who sells it? I have never even seen it before and if I buy a car this summer I think I know what might go in there muahahahah.

I'm not sure I would get what I want from those though, most are only 12"s. I am skeptical that it would be enough to pressurise an expedition enough to really feel the bass as I would like. I wish SQ companies would get into larger cones...

I started this thinking 18" for sure, but I have come down a long way as I don't know of any really amazing SQ 18's as in my case IB is not an option as it would be in HT.

I was thinking about the CSS SDX 15", I think I would have to go with 2 then for the power handeling without any doubt, and then the wiring would be weird with them at 1.8 ohm dual vc.

Sounds like a mess to me.

I was referring to two Mags since you stated a pair. Jim recommended a single Mag.

And you don't have to put a full 1500w to the ICON... that's what the gain knob is there for.

I haven't heard the ICON or Mag myself, but I haven't heard anything bad about either. I imagine both sound great. I do have experience with the SDX15 though. Mine is running sealed off of a SAE-1000D and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't suggest running 2 though. Running 1 gives you the 1 ohm load that you want and, in my experience, the SDX15 is capable of taking even more than the 1000W I am giving it.

I was referring to two Mags since you stated a pair. Jim recommended a single Mag.

And you don't have to put a full 1500w to the ICON... that's what the gain knob is there for.

I may be a nub, no I am a nub, but I thought gain knobs reflected voltage more.

I would rather put less juice to 2 and have little to no likely hood to damage anything, than rely on reigning in the watts. I think I understand your point though as lower gain will ultimately result in less power to the sub.

Thank you for the clearing up the reference though. I thought about a 1 sub set up, it would be nice to save the room thats for sure, I just wasn't sure that it would go as low and have the authority that 2 15"s would have.

if you have to have an 18 look and see if you can find a AA avalanch motor, then recone it to an 18. the ava had good sq and was a low end beast, iirc the fs was 15hz. the sq will be good but not great, the subs jim mention will be slightly better, but then again sq is all personal judgement, so everyone will have different tatses. also what do you have for a mid range setup? the midrange is FAR more important to overall sq than the sub is, just soemthing to think about.

I haven't heard the ICON or Mag myself, but I haven't heard anything bad about either. I imagine both sound great. I do have experience with the SDX15 though. Mine is running sealed off of a SAE-1000D and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't suggest running 2 though. Running 1 gives you the 1 ohm load that you want and, in my experience, the SDX15 is capable of taking even more than the 1000W I am giving it.

I could run just one of the VC's perhaps but then the subs total power handeling would go down I beleive, Maybe somne else could chime in.

I'm probably wrong but I thought I saw a crafty way to wire the buggers to get a 1 ohm load.... I'll have to t out the pen and paper or cheat and use some internet tool lol.

I could run just one of the VC's perhaps but then the subs total power handeling would go down I beleive, Maybe somne else could chime in.

I'm probably wrong but I thought I saw a crafty way to wire the buggers to get a 1 ohm load.... I'll have to t out the pen and paper or cheat and use some internet tool lol.

using only one Vc will not HURT the sub but will not be the best way of doing things. using only one VC will chnage the subs TS specs usually for the worse, the changing in specs will often effect the size of enclosure the sub needs, also i think power handling is decreased by 30% only using one VC.

if you have to have an 18 look and see if you can find a AA avalanch motor, then recone it to an 18. the ava had good sq and was a low end beast, iirc the fs was 15hz. the sq will be good but not great, the subs jim mention will be slightly better, but then again sq is all personal judgement, so everyone will have different tatses. also what do you have for a mid range setup? the midrange is FAR more important to overall sq than the sub is, just soemthing to think about.

agreed I haven't decided on the midrange. I will need a larger mid driver, I love mid. The peerless are pretty nice. I also was looking at seas excell.. there is a thread out there of some choices and help I was getting on the mids.. I'm just hoping to avoid doing anything OTHER than a basic IB install for the front.I have soo much room and it can go pretty deep. I'll door mount and angle the mid up slightly to get a bit better imaging hopefully and more direct sound. It will also provide with a ton of room for a deeper speker so I'm not limited. Think kick panel angle but in the door. I have less room by my feet in my truck than I do where the door is. Ayway... I'm trying to pic the subs as it's an easier choice due to the fact subs are less of a commitment. If i'm not happy.. well pull out the box find a new sub, sell old buy new build new box... it will be fun in fact... Glassed in mids would take much more work to change out. The mids choice is so hard to make I'm having cold feet so I'm trying to make up my mind on something else.

For SQ 2 new Mags seled in a 2 cu ft box @ 2 ohms will rock your socks. Would give each sub 400 or so watts which from what I have herd is enough for the new Mags.

using only one Vc will not HURT the sub but will not be the best way of doing things. using only one VC will chnage the subs TS specs usually for the worse, the changing in specs will often effect the size of enclosure the sub needs, also i think power handling is decreased by 30% only using one VC.

yeah, I was pretty sure it wasn't a good idea I just wasn't sure why.

:drink40:

For SQ 2 new Mags seled in a 2 cu ft box @ 2 ohms will rock your socks. Would give each sub 400 or so watts which from what I have herd is enough for the new Mags.

lol I do love a good sock rocking.

I'm going to beat a dead horse though and ask if it's all in my head or wouldn't the larger cone are of larger subs equate to the ability to play lower with more authority?

I have 2 12" BMs now, it is WAY overkill in my Jimmy, I m going to 1 12" Mag which should be more than enough.

I cannot find that morel ultimo anywhere buy woofes etc. and it's a bit high of a price, though super sexy and a really interesting design. the VC is outside the mag? Why do that?

I can't find a price on the new SI mag anywhere.

Also I could be crazy but I would run into the same issue running 2 mags as they are dual 2 also correct?

Edited by dem beats

from what I have read it's pretty amazing. I just can't find it anywhere but woofers etc and they over price the chit out of everything.

For an sq project I have been planning, I plan on picking up a mach 5 ixl18.4 and a saz-1500d and going infinite baffle.

Not about need, I'd say you can't put 1500w to it as for an SQ installation you'd have to have a really, really serious front stage then.

Not about need, I'd say you can't put 1500w to it as for an SQ installation you'd have to have a really, really serious front stage then.

By it are you meaning sub stage Sean?