Biowaste

Most impressed you've ever been with a stereo?

:D

Some of my favorites:

DynAudio's show car, the piano playing was pure sex to listen to

CV Stroker van, absolutely smothering bass sitting in that thing (headphones and all)

and surprisingly, JL Audio's little Austin Mini.

What are yours?

-Bio

my first system which was 2 8'' orions in a small ported box with a 1000 watt targa amp..lol factory old speakers and a pullout radio from a volkswagon...even the installers laughed when i showed it to them..but they were done laughing afterwards..lol surprised the hell out of everyone..

I haven't heard anything that impressed me yet.

Someday, I want to hear Dave's Camry.

Sort of gay that I am going to post this as I am a 2chn nut, but wtf. Definitely not the most impressed, but sure was one of the first oh holy shit wows for me, it was when Jim Winey (owner/founder Magnepan) had me over at his house to measure the room acoustics of his new home theater room. He gave me a demo of some prototypes at the time, SACD multi-channel recording of the 1812 (yeah I know how gay) but nonetheless having a home theater room that was worth more than my house in this case made my jaw drop. The room treatments in the room were worth more than my current system and of course the fun part for me was he asked for my help in measuring/verifying his design. :) Really pretty wicked to see, feel, hear and absorb his setup.

I did a tour of Meyer sound in Nor Cal and all I can say is WOW!!!! We watch part of The Incredibles, Pirates of the Carribean, and a few music recording. The theater in the shop is a fully suspended room that you could only hope for in your dreams. I've never heard anything like this in my life. Sub 20hz that make you insides shake. I really can't explain. Awesome!!!! And it sounded good. Great clearity throughout. Meyer sound kicks butt.

Last summer, I stopped by a local high-end home-audio shop here, and they had these speakers set up. I don't know what they were but it was a 5" or 6" mid firing upwards into a metal sphere with a ~1" tweeter next to it in the same kind of set up. They were unbelievable transparent. It sounded like the sound was coming from the entire breadth of the wall behind them.

Hard to say for everything...for visceral impact, nothing can touch the Altec 1005's and 515 simplex cabs, but they needed supertweets, a good source and a football stadium to put them in before they'd get "hi-fi" to me.

I heard a pair of Klipschhorns running off of push/pull KT88's that probably would have floored me if they weren't set up on opposite corners of the room :D Given the right space, those would be high on my all time favorite speaker list...

Oh yeah, and this place...

tridentroom1-444.jpg

Even though I didn't get to hear the $235,000 Audio Note Gaku-Ons, their $3k, 3 watt cousins did a pretty good job too ;) And Western Electric stuff pretty much just kicks ass in all respects.

Hard to say for everything...for visceral impact, nothing can touch the Altec 1005's and 515 simplex cabs, but they needed supertweets, a good source and a football stadium to put them in before they'd get "hi-fi" to me.

I heard a pair of Klipschhorns running off of push/pull KT88's that probably would have floored me if they weren't set up on opposite corners of the room :D Given the right space, those would be high on my all time favorite speaker list...

Oh yeah, and this place...

tridentroom1-444.jpg

Even though I didn't get to hear the $235,000 Audio Note Gaku-Ons, their $3k, 3 watt cousins did a pretty good job too ;) And Western Electric stuff pretty much just kicks ass in all respects.

that set up cost $235,000?

Kristen Frederick's Camaro. Image dynamics all the way around ( I think arc audio amps or atleast they used to be arc audio). The car competes in expert iasca and just sounds amazing.

my friend's two JL 12W.....5's? like 9-10 years ago. It was the first system I had ever heard and it floored me. It was what got me interested in car audio. Yeah, I guess I'm pretty basic. I've never heard 235,000 dollar amps or hard core SQ competitors' cars.

Tom Shaw's Acura......

I like how that one sounds, a lot :)

Scottie Johnson's van hitting so loud that when i was holding the video camera from about 40ft away it buckled my knees for just those 2 seconds he let it rip!

3 yrs later when a car got metered at doing just over 172db and being SO SEALED TIGHT, i could talk louder than the vibration that emitted from it!

first REAL system I heard, was my friends 2 10 Memphis PR's in the back of civic in a good big ported box. Was really impressed, till I bought my Mag haha.

I keep saying the same thing over and over.........BUT .....Dave's Camry with out a doubt. Why you ask ? Because after close inspection of the entire car, it still leaves you wondering what the hell was done besides the sub and p9. First listen still leaves the same question in your mind. It just changes the attitude of the question from "big deal, what did you do ?" to " Holy shit , what did you do ? " Simplicity in sound , installed with a firm foundation.

I also have to throw in the polar opposite build that was going on at the same time. Nick's little sesame street truck is ridiculous ( even though he is running dem 15" dub 7's :D ) . First time I have sat in a vehicle and had everything in my pockets pilfered in 10 seconds flat. Can't wait to see the final version.......run in fear :)

I loved the old Orion Dodge demo van some 12 years ago. There was a maroon Miata done in all Focal some 6 years back. And for SPL what ever Terry Brocks shows up with.

you mean you still like it when I pull a 114dB on the dash? Can you stand the SPL?

Yep even though I could beat you in drive by after a mexican dinner :)

I haven't heard anything that impressed me yet.

Someday, I want to hear Dave's Camry.

who is dave and where is the link to check it out

My buddy had 1 15" Eclipse TI runnin off of an older bd1000.1 in a sealed box built to Eclipse specs... UN-frickin believeable... Was in an SRT-8... Was louder than both my 2 12" Solobarics off of 2 Autotek Stealth 1600.1's PORTED, was louder than my 15"xxx... I thought the back window in his car was seriously going to break, shook the hell outta his car, tickled my ear drum... I dunno how or why, I just know it did.

you mean you still like it when I pull a 114dB on the dash? Can you stand the SPL?

Yep even though I could beat you in drive by after a mexican dinner :)

I would hope it's drive-by in that case, port wars would just be wrong for that :P