shizzzon

ShiZZZoN's Build Log

Just metered the setup with my "unknown strict meter" and got a 145.53Db @34hz.

I still believe this meter is more strict than the TLAB especially since me, and 3 other people that heard the setup today was so loud that as soon as the bass lines would output full tilt, we all had to get out of the car immediately because the pressure feeling in our ears feels very dangerous...

I don't know if it's just the frequency but i also burped it at 49hz and it did the same thing, just not as loud on the meter.

I've heard other setups that metered in the mid 140s but never remember any of them causing a feeling that appears to feel like immediate possible hearing damage.

Just metered the setup with my "unknown strict meter" and got a 145.53Db @34hz.

I still believe this meter is more strict than the TLAB especially since me, and 3 other people that heard the setup today was so loud that as soon as the bass lines would output full tilt, we all had to get out of the car immediately because the pressure feeling in our ears feels very dangerous...

I don't know if it's just the frequency but i also burped it at 49hz and it did the same thing, just not as loud on the meter.

I've heard other setups that metered in the mid 140s but never remember any of them causing a feeling that appears to feel like immediate possible hearing damage.

haha my friend metered that with 2 15s and 1200rms...

at what note? not enough info to compare, bud.

I'm suppose to be tuned about 10hz higher than i am but this is not for competition.

This is tuned to almost 30hz AND was specifically built to peak at the driver's headrest.

To prove a point, i only scored a 143 next to the windshield and the kick.

Sure, i could easily break a 150 but this is for daily driving, not comp.

This build is focused on a whole other vision.

You thought my build log was over?

You're wrong. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! lol

I just got my Alt in from Mechman.

I told them i would do a nice review of it so stay tuned for pics and performance readings from it.

It is rated @ 250A.

I ordered it Thursday over the phone.

They build per order for my car.

Was built, tested, shipped and received the following Tuesday.

I highly rated performance tuning shop in my area is going to be installing it as they have first hand experience with my 07 Scion tC.

I called 2 other stores and this is what they said about installing it for me-

Store 1- No, we don't install other people's alts...

My thoughts - apparently you are intimidated or not experienced enough to trust yourself.

Store 2- An 07.. what? No.. I've never heard of your car... We can't do it, it's too new...

My Thoughts- Quit your job...

I'm gonna try to get it installed either this weekend or early next week.

Pics by then for sure, hopefully sooner.

at what note? not enough info to compare, bud.

I'm suppose to be tuned about 10hz higher than i am but this is not for competition.

This is tuned to almost 30hz AND was specifically built to peak at the driver's headrest.

To prove a point, i only scored a 143 next to the windshield and the kick.

Sure, i could easily break a 150 but this is for daily driving, not comp.

This build is focused on a whole other vision.

this was not on a TL but rather on the DMM mic correct?

ya, i can say it was TL all day long but we aint goin there with that debate again...

I've been patiently waiting for over a year, lol, to do a comparison with this mic vs the TL... until then, i dont know what to say.

Now, onto the strange part for those who haven't seen this before-

The amp is currently set on full pass playing a 4khz tone outputting 23.18v. I set the range to X10 and turn the LPF ALL the way over to 5khz. I then switch to LFP and the output voltage dropped from 23.18 down to 20.38v... But, i am within the filter's settings by far!?!? Apparently, the LPF is attacking the 4khz area even though it's set not to start rolling off until 5khz. I then played a 4.5khz tone and it rolled off even greater so for those with the amp, i am unable to sustain FULL potential output up to 5khz using the LPF setting on chan 3\4, i'm assuming chan 1\2 would do the same but never tested that for my case.

Just FYI, the crossover point isn't the point at which the frequency response starts to get changed, it's the -3db point. So in your example, 5 khz would be -3 decibels from reference. I don't know if 4 khz would be affected by this in this instance or not.

That's interesting to know.

Do you have any videos of this thing you could upload?

I'm curious how the Mechman alternator is working out for you. I got a 180amp from another company ( :( ) and it seems to be doing it's job. I need a better battery under my hood, but I have a HC1800 under my passenger seat.

I have the same motor as you! :D 08 xB, FTW!

Resurrecting an old build log as new again...

If the last post is still curious, lol, the mechman alt is fantastic. 14.9v when charging, 13.8v when not in use. It does get hot so if you do not have the battery power to run a setup while sitting on idle, you could end up overheating the alt. I have 237ah plus factory battery up front to run 5,000w and i have never seen a dim light yet at idle.

OK back to the purpose of this post-

I am resurrecting this post because... a new design is coming...

Goal - to break 150.0dB with 2 15s in an '07 Scion tC off of 4,400w of power tuned for DAILY use.

Purpose of goal - Well, main reason is simple, motivation. I had the privilege of hearing snoopdan's ride and was impressed. Gave me an idea on a new enclosure design that i will be testing soon as the weather gets warmer as the design plans seem promising. Right now i do in the 146s for 2 12s and 4,400w of amplifier power but the box is not big enough so a new design is in place.

It will be approximately 2-3 months before the project gets started\finished but this is what it consists of-

2 Audioque HD15s( the original made in USA versions :) )

2 AQ2200Ds = 4,400w

1 D3100\2 D5100s

1 250A alternator

Box design - I can't go into detail yet because i haven't tested it yet as there are two designs that i am debating on but i can tell you this-

Because of the weight of the stereo system, i am moving the new design in to the rear cabin area so i am removing the back seats for the new design.

The car will be sealed off where the main support beam runs across from side to side which isolates the back seats from the hatch area.

From there, a very large box will be made for 2 15s ported around 40hz with SSF set in the mid to high 20s. The HD, HDC3 and SD line from AQ have very high mechanical excursion limits that allow them to be tuned high to be very loud to the ear while still dropping excessively low shaking everything in it's path.

I am not thinking about it but if an offer comes, i may change amps for something more powerful but only if the timing is right, otherwise, i'm keeping my amps.

Good luck with the goal man !

150's daily isn't extremely easy (both to build and to listen to).

Could you post up some pictures of your current install? :) We never got to see the 'finished' product last time!

yea ur right.

It looks like chaos back there because i have decided not to finish the cosmetics of it but yea i'll do it.

Probably this Saturday or Sunday you guys will see some scary pics, hehe

sorry, still havent got any pics or anything yet, been raining forever.

If i dont get anything today, the next time i have is wednesday then it's gonna rain for a week straight so i'll see what happens.

*Snaps fingers.* Come one, Shizzz :)

I followed this whole build, and I really liked the equipment you used and the time and care you take doing it. hope to see pics eventually the current and new build!

man, i know what u mean but it wont stop raining here!

If it's not raining by the time i get off work, it's too cold to be out there.

Friday looks like a weiner, lol.

Nice and hot with no rain, i'll do it then as long as i remind myself.

Sorry for the no pics, i got somethin a little better commin soon.

THE NEW BUILD LOG FOR THE SUMMER OF 2009

4 FI 15" SSDs ported with swappable ports for Daily\Competition

2 AQ3500Ds

2 XS D2400s

In a wall in a 2007 Scion tC.

Coming soon...

What kind of numbers you guys expect me to pull with this setup?

One thing that is gonna hinder my SPL is that i will be porting it directly in between the 2 front seats. I do not want that IcE CoLD air blowing the hell out of me while i'm driving, hehe. I've had a setup like that before and didn't like it.

I did a 147.7 with 2 12s 4ft away from sensor with 2,300w of actual output @42hz.

New setup-

4 15" FI SSD (3x more cone area)

2 AQ3500ds (almost twice as much power)

12-14cuft box (larger box in comparison to my last one.. resulting in lower impedance rise this time)

A Wall!! (sensor approximately 1ft away rather than 4ft)

I'm hopin to not only break a 155 but consistently do this without longterm damage to the SSDs.

Another side note... i'm gonna be severily downgrading my battery capacitance.

This will be too loud for daily so i'll probably be reverting back to only 120aH, 2 60aH batts.

I know it sounds impossible to support 7kw... i'm gonna hopefully do some testing on this theory but i think the batts should be able to burp these amps enough to give a decent score.

I'm tryin to kill some weight in the car. This would save 45lbs over goin with 2 87aH batts that i was originally thinkin of.. I might still have to but i'll see in the near future.

Also lookin into doin some graphics on the wall and i'm NOT sayin what until it's done and pics taken...

However, if you have any ideas, post up some links here so i can find some graphics i might not have seen.

I am looking for stenciled graphics large enough to cover no larger than 30" high x 48" wide.

after all the trouble with aq amps i'm a little surprised with your powerplant choice! :ehh:

kind of surprised you're not going with four btl's with the hopes of a 155 daily vehicle, however i will eagerly await pictures!

:)

Well BTLS weigh a ton compared to SSDs. I'm tryin to keep my total sub weight no more than 100lbs.

nah, if i truly was discouraged about the conclusion of the problem with the amp, i wouldnt still be a customer, :) Just like other companies here, great customer service.

I know i can get service done to an SSD if i ever needed to. Besides, might as well try a new company while i'm switching over.

Every needs to watch out for the SSDs. There will be another build with two 10" SSDs as well. Somewhat of the same box design as shizzzon's. :D