shizzzon

Gas Prices, again...

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.. Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three(3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money. One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount. Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some f the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money. DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods.We should return the favor. An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis. Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill- up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil. These companies import Middle Eastern oil: Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels Amoco.............................62,231,000 barrels Citgo and Valero gas are from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans.If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil: Sunoco..................0 barrels Conoco...................0 barrels Sinclair.................0 barrels B P/Phillips............0 barrels Hess.......................0 barrels ARC0.....................0 barrels If you go to Sunoco.com <http://sunoco.com/> , you will get a list of the station locations near you. All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do. Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

So many errors in this.

A) Gasoline is distributed into a pressurized system, and is stored by itself. When you pump gas, you get 1 gallon of gasoline. Pressure within the tank maintains the levels of vapor to liquid. (hence why driving with a loose gas cap can trigger a check engine light.)

B) all gasoline is transported through a massive pipeline system which does not differentiate where the gas came from or who it belongs to. Refineries label the gas and add the companies "special additives" before the fuel is trucked off to a local gas station.

C) gasoline in vapor or liquid form will inevitably still be gasoline (not to mention pressurised back into a liquid) as it enters a cylinder where the piston pressurizes the fuel into a liquid making as the phase change is where a lot of the energy needed for combustion comes from (from liquid back to gas as heat is applied and the piston moves downward relieving pressure).

*I'm not a scientist and there may be small errors in things that I have said but hopefully you will start to see the light*

Thanks for some clarity.............it was passed on to me through some friends of mine and my Fiancee.

I figured there were some errors there tho.

I will say this tho, my tank took more gas using a slow method rather than what it usually take fast.

J

Gas is 3.95 a gal. here in Arkansas. This is almost three times as much as we paid 10 years ago.

Here it is.

$4.91 for 87

$5.12 for Diesel

$5.27 for 92

Good thing our dollar is at par with the US$ now compared to ~$0.60 in 2002, or we'd be in the $7-8 range.

Ask Adrian what fuel prices are there.

Time for Americans to use more appropriate vehicles for their use...

no joke!

3.85 in eastern kansas

I just read in BusinessWeek that the Saudi's are getting scared about a big backlash due to the high price of oil so they are beefing up their supply as fast as possible - they have set a target of $80 a barrel by 2009 if they get it their way.

It is in their best interest to discourage alternative fuels, so they don't want the high price to push forward technology that would decrease demand for oil.

good point. That's wonderful for the short term. However I'm not sure it will work. The wheels are already spinning for these alternative fuels and all the oil companies and others have invested so much in them that I really don't think they'll slow it down. Although I suppose that if the price got low enough their profits would decline, but I don't know that they'd cut from R & D before laying off workers. It would depend on which could be more profitable at the time, oil or alternative fuel vehicles. Since it's only 2009 I imagine they will choose oil, though, since the alternative fuel market probably won't be large enough by then to warrant decreasing oil production for it. If it was maybe 2015 it might be a different story. But also the Saudi's aren't fighting only the oil price critics, but the environmental critics as well. So many people are switching to alternative fuels just because it's better for the environment and global warming and all that jazz.

edit: I just realized that I was thinking of passenger car type vehicles when I did that little market analysis, but in fact personal vehicles only make up a fraction of the total fuel usage. I think it's only like 30% or something like that. The biggest users of fuel are shipping transportation and industrial uses. and I don't see them switching to alternative fuels any time soon. the passenger vehicle market is way ahead of them in that regard.

Edited by KU40

good point. That's wonderful for the short term. However I'm not sure it will work. The wheels are already spinning for these alternative fuels and all the oil companies and others have invested so much in them that I really don't think they'll slow it down. Although I suppose that if the price got low enough their profits would decline, but I don't know that they'd cut from R & D before laying off workers. It would depend on which could be more profitable at the time, oil or alternative fuel vehicles. Since it's only 2009 I imagine they will choose oil, though, since the alternative fuel market probably won't be large enough by then to warrant decreasing oil production for it. If it was maybe 2015 it might be a different story. But also the Saudi's aren't fighting only the oil price critics, but the environmental critics as well. So many people are switching to alternative fuels just because it's better for the environment and global warming and all that jazz.

edit: I just realized that I was thinking of passenger car type vehicles when I did that little market analysis, but in fact personal vehicles only make up a fraction of the total fuel usage. I think it's only like 30% or something like that. The biggest users of fuel are shipping transportation and industrial uses. and I don't see them switching to alternative fuels any time soon. the passenger vehicle market is way ahead of them in that regard.

Some southern states (cough texas cough) promote the use of bio-diesels.

id say we we say screw it to those alaskan conservation people. we dig and mine the crap outa alaska. supply our own oil in larger quatities. same with more oil rigs in the gulf of mexico coast.

come on do we really care much about what those canadians think. i mean alaska's runoff is just canada's problems =P. im jp.

but no in all seriousness. 4.00 in florida in probably the next week is gonna suck for 87. im 17 and getting raped up my bun by gasoline prices.

our economy needs to fix this NOW

id say we we say screw it to those alaskan conservation people. we dig and mine the crap outa alaska. supply our own oil in larger quatities. same with more oil rigs in the gulf of mexico coast.

come on do we really care much about what those canadians think. i mean alaska's runoff is just canada's problems =P. im jp.

but no in all seriousness. 4.00 in florida in probably the next week is gonna suck for 87. im 17 and getting raped up my bun by gasoline prices.

our economy needs to fix this NOW

We export our oil, we make more profit off of it that way.

Oh and any economic band-aid that could fix this now would probably lead us into another great depression.

And I wish gas was only 4$ a gallon.

boo hoo $4 a gallon.... time to park the guzzlers.... driving a car is not a god given right-- yet here in the states you would think it was. i watch people in traffic all the time.... funny how at $4 a gallon the majority still mash the gas pedal as soon as the light goes green only to slam on the brakes in a 100 yds or less. we deserve to pay more as in general we all drive like idiots. gas will hit $5 by the end of summer and eventually $8 a gallon. before we see better technologies i would hope that we learn some lessons first.

boo hoo $4 a gallon.... time to park the guzzlers.... driving a car is not a god given right-- yet here in the states you would think it was. i watch people in traffic all the time.... funny how at $4 a gallon the majority still mash the gas pedal as soon as the light goes green only to slam on the brakes in a 100 yds or less. we deserve to pay more as in general we all drive like idiots. gas will hit $5 by the end of summer and eventually $8 a gallon. before we see better technologies i would hope that we learn some lessons first.

lol? All i got from this is we are being punished for bad driving and the words "we all" should be used more conservatively, because we all do not drive like idiots.

Gas will eventually reach 8$ a gallon, maybe, but probably not in any of our lifetimes, thats just my opinion...considering we are not nearly at our limits for oil digs. Before we even reach that 8$ mark, we will start digging in other places, like ANWAR (ANWAR has enough oil to last the american people 3 decades).

everyone is entitled to their opinion :rockwoot:

Well I live in south Florida, and I paid $4.13 a gallon for 87 grade. I got a 4.3 liter V6 Safari van so it costs me around $113 to fill up. If I wasent 6'4 330llbs I might think about getting a motorcycle or a scooter or something.

Well I live in south Florida, and I paid $4.13 a gallon for 87 grade. I got a 4.3 liter V6 Safari van so it costs me around $113 to fill up. If I wasent 6'4 330llbs I might think about getting a motorcycle or a scooter or something.

lol....you can still get a bike...just a large one...

I agree. While I also agree that not everybody drives like that (me and you and y doc at least, ha), I get your point. It does happen way too much, and I hate it. Well, I guess I don't really hate it, I just think "oh, there goes another stupid person. I wonder if he or she complains about how much it costs to fill up the tank. I bet so. Maybe someday they'll pull their head out of their butt and realize that driving more conservatively not only cuts down on fuel consumption but accidents as well."

Um, it has nothing to do with us ;) mountains in the way of it running off into our country :neil:

Um, it has nothing to do with us ;) mountains in the way of it running off into our country :neil:

darn pretty mountains too. When I was flying to alaska the clouds were low for the first half and there were just a few peaks peeking through. wow.

Here is a sad state of affairs example; This past Friday we went on a 2 hour over night trip out of state for one night.

We own an SUV (yes its old but it is just the right size for us), do we take it for space and comfort? No.

We have a luxury sport sedan that would be very nice for this over night trip, do we take it for the ease of ride and comfort? No.

We own a luxury sport coupe, would make quick and quiet work of the trip in style, do we take it for speed and comfort? No

We pile into the '96 civic hatch and drive that for our weekend one night away transportation.

:(

You're being responsible though Denim. I think that's a good thing.

Although, I would have taken the luxury car, I really can't take more than 3 hours in a small car.

You're being responsible though Denim. I think that's a good thing.

Although, I would have taken the luxury car, I really can't take more than 3 hours in a small car.

I got 36mpg out of that tank so there is an upside. :)

bikes are pucking righteous :rockwoot:

and yes rugdnit i am guilty of driving/riding like an idiot when im on my bike - at times on the highway... the orgasmic 12$ fillups allow me to do so...

:rockwoot:

Edited by y_d0c

solid gold there Aaron.

I have a CBR954 and I ride that like an old woman in trafic. I hate people who ride sports bike and risk themselves at the cost of other drives, but even more I hate other drivers who get too close to me.

I don't ride my bike for better MPG though. It's not even close to economical to own here.

Here is a sad state of affairs example; This past Friday we went on a 2 hour over night trip out of state for one night.

We own an SUV (yes its old but it is just the right size for us), do we take it for space and comfort? No.

We have a luxury sport sedan that would be very nice for this over night trip, do we take it for the ease of ride and comfort? No.

We own a luxury sport coupe, would make quick and quiet work of the trip in style, do we take it for speed and comfort? No

We pile into the '96 civic hatch and drive that for our weekend one night away transportation.

:(

I hear ya there................MPG is why i still have my Integra

J