freemind

Sonotube enclosures

I know Mark from mach 5 builds them quite often, not sure about other people. They seem fairly easy once you calculate the box dimensions.

they are use for home use in most cases as they have such a small "footprint". They also look different, and are verry easy to build as the sides of the "box" is predone. Just add baffles and port.

There's nothing wrong with them...HT people use them all the time

Please forgive my ignorance here.

But, what is "HT people"?

I know Mark from mach 5 builds them quite often, not sure about other people. They seem fairly easy once you calculate the box dimensions.

Wouldn't there be a different way to calculate box(enclosure)?

There's nothing wrong with them...HT people use them all the time

Please forgive my ignorance here.

But, what is "HT people"?

home theater

The calculatios are diffrent, because the volume is pi * r^2 * height. Other than that, it's just a diffrent shape for a box.

Not too hard to calculate.

If it's a 12" cylinder it's 1/2 radius * 1/2 radius * 3.14 (Pi) * the length. We'll say 12"

6*6*3.14*12 = 1356.48

Divide that number by 1728 and you get 0.785 cubic feet.

HT= home theater

Thanks. There is a shop on the northside of town that sells them pre-loaded w/ RE's

But, one needs deep pockets for that setup.

I would like to run one of these setups due to space problems in the little car(1987 FX 16)(AE82)

The calculatios are diffrent, because the volume is pi * r^2 * height. Other than that, it's just a diffrent shape for a box.

Square a circle.

I am not so good at thinking right now LOL

If it's a 12" cylinder it's 1/2 radius * 1/2 radius * 3.14 (Pi) * the length. We'll say 12"

6*6*3.14*12 = 1356.48

Thank you!

Square a circle.

I am not so good at thinking right now LOL

f4158dab7968d0898a95f83495604c73.png

8th grade math is the most difficult I ever encountered.

If it's a 12" cylinder it's 1/2 diameter * 1/2 diameter * 3.14 (Pi) * the length. We'll say 12"

6*6*3.14*12 = 1356.48

The calculation is the same since volume is volume, but you do calculate volume differently in a tube versus a box.

edit: should have read further before posting :Doh: either way the comment holds

The calculation is the same since volume is volume, but you do calculate volume differently in a tube versus a box.

edit: should have read further before posting :Doh: either way the comment holds

What is your opinion on Sonotubes M5?

I've built several for HT applications. One "warning" is that the tubes aren't that strong compared to MDF, so you'd need to be a little more careful in a car environment. Something smashing into it could easily dent/flatten it. Other then that they're pretty easy to build.

You could also do square outer endcaps to keep it from rolling around.

I saw a nice one someplace that had twin external ports. They came out one end, did a 90, (the baffle was like three circles instead of one, one big and two small) went through the baffle and down each side to end in other baffle. They acted like legs so they were on each side on floor with it laying down.

Next time I have to use a box I really want to try one for the weight savings and mounting options. Seems like you could soak the tube with resin, even a little glass if you wanted to. I had a cheap 8" powered I ran on stock systems in rentals for a while, got my moneys worth out of that thing for sure.

You don't need to do anything to it. Since it is round (the strongest shape in existance to hole pressure) it is more rigid and capable of holding in air pressure and not flexing than an MDF box that is 4" thick.... The way it easily is crushed has nothing to do with it's properties as a speaker box. Just don't dent it. If you are worried, BTW, they make some that is 3/8" - 1/2" thick, you just have to look around a bit. That is what I used to use when I was building a bunch of these back in the late 80s....

I looked at some concrete forms and you would have to wack them pretty hard to dent, I'd say that would be trunk abuse...lol, or sub box abuse. I came up with that mostly from trying to fit a sub in my boat, but now I don't run it anyway. Just some resin would moisture-proof it nicely. The light weight would be key in a smaller boat.