Mark LaFountain

The "X"con 12" prototype has arrived

If you ever build an 18, one or probably 2 will have my name on them :D

well Steve Meade got a small chance to listen to this sub today, hopefully he'll chime in ..in the next few days after he gets back home and comments on what he thought of it. Basically the more I listen to it the more I want to get three more and terrorize some tracks with them. They sound incredible to me.

I know its unrealistic to for you guys to make 21" and 24" versions, but it would be awesome to have a subwoofer 2 feet in diameter that is SSA quality... ;)

Regardless of size this looks like its gonna be an awesome sub!

I know its unrealistic to for you guys to make 21" and 24" versions, but it would be awesome to have a subwoofer 2 feet in diameter that is SSA quality... ;)

Regardless of size this looks like its gonna be an awesome sub!

Unless you are mounting a sub IB in a house, going with a cone that big makes absolutely no sense to me. The box size trade-off at that point just isn't worth it. On top of that no one buys subs that size so you are right in that it is unrealistic.

Just curious? At what point in the development stage is this product? What has been finalized and what is still subject to change? This would make for a cool documentary of sorts. Allowing us to see first hand how this sub is developed from an engineering perspective. Going in depth on the pros and cons of the backplate, magnet, and top plate. Maybe explaining how the spiders are rated. I read in a previous reply how SSA has limited resources. I feel this gives SSA an advantage to be more open and closer with its customers. I'm also curious to see if some of the desision making is made based on whats available, is there a possibility for us the enthusiast to pony up for something better? Who knows? I really dig your stuff. Keep us posted. Thanks.

P.S. Keep the dustcap its just enough bling for a sub thats all buisness.

Just curious? At what point in the development stage is this product? What has been finalized and what is still subject to change? This would make for a cool documentary of sorts. Allowing us to see first hand how this sub is developed from an engineering perspective. Going in depth on the pros and cons of the backplate, magnet, and top plate. Maybe explaining how the spiders are rated. I read in a previous reply how SSA has limited resources. I feel this gives SSA an advantage to be more open and closer with its customers. I'm also curious to see if some of the desision making is made based on whats available, is there a possibility for us the enthusiast to pony up for something better? Who knows? I really dig your stuff. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Thank you for the positive response, we feed off of hearing from people.

To answer your first question, this is still early in the testing stage of the prototype. Mark is currently putting the driver through its paces to make sure it can handle a solid factor more then what our goals are and what we will rate it. As we have a great relationship with our build house, much of the design was hashed out in detail prior to building the first working version, this helps really dial in our goals. Not to mention it is cheaper then going though 10 different versions.

As for decision making on design, it is effected by the parts available to the build house. But that is said for all companies, unless you are putting forth some serious money to go with something totally different. As for people tossing in money, that is a very nice gesture, but Mark and I have SSA debt and loan free. Meaning it is all out of pocket for us, but that is the way we prefer to. Now, if there was crazy demand for a specialty driver, much like Mach5 did with the SPL line, we would most certainly consider our options.

:)

To answer your first question, this is still early in the testing stage of the prototype. Mark is currently putting the driver through its paces to make sure it can handle a solid factor more then what our goals are and what we will rate it. As we have a great relationship with our build house, much of the design was hashed out in detail prior to building the first working version, this helps really dial in our goals. Not to mention it is cheaper then going though 10 different versions.

As for decision making on design, it is effected by the parts available to the build house. But that is said for all companies, unless you are putting forth some serious money to go with something totally different. As for people tossing in money, that is a very nice gesture, but Mark and I have SSA debt and loan free. Meaning it is all out of pocket for us, but that is the way we prefer to. Now, if there was crazy demand for a specialty driver, much like Mach5 did with the SPL line, we would most certainly consider our options.

I think you guys created quite a stir by introducing this prototype. It got me out of lurker status. It's a unique sub with its exaggerated backplate. I look foward to reading more about its design and how you came about making it happen. Thanks. :)

This thing sounds amazing in person, I cannot wait for the production line. I am already sold by hearing the 12 and comparing it to my old 12. I thought my 15 Icon was nice ... the Xcon 15's are going to be making me flinch a bit!

baking motors i see....

good for the lungs :)

What? Not baking anything.

I think you guys created quite a stir by introducing this prototype. It got me out of lurker status. It's a unique sub with its exaggerated backplate. I look foward to reading more about its design and how you came about making it happen. Thanks. :)

For us unique is what we have to go for, because being a new brand we have to offer something that really stands out in performance and sometimes in looks (as in total lack of flash and 'bling').

If the end, the Xcon is meant to sound as good if not better then the Icon and have a ton of linear movement while handling some serious power.

This thing sounds amazing in person, I cannot wait for the production line. I am already sold by hearing the 12 and comparing it to my old 12. I thought my 15 Icon was nice ... the Xcon 15's are going to be making me flinch a bit!

Thats awesome to hear! :)

What does everyone think of the dust cap? The carbon fiber dust cap is on now just for the prototype, but what do people think about it....

We planned to move forward with the same style dust cap as the Icon, but this carbon fiber one is an option.

I think it's just okay.. I've see worse. I would prefer to see the same style dust cap as the icon though, maybe a different logo/color, as to distinguish between the Icon and the Xcon.

wow thats a sexy looking sub i like the dustcap..but if theres a way to put a logo on it it will be sexy....

The weight between the carbon fiber and the Icon style dust cap is not an issue so moving mass would not change and cause no change in performance.

This thing is going to really be something very special, as it should reside in the top group of super subs (ie the "SQ" sub woofers that have the power handling and can move some air if need be).

What does everyone think of the dust cap? The carbon fiber dust cap is on now just for the prototype, but what do people think about it....

We planned to move forward with the same style dust cap as the Icon, but this carbon fiber one is an option.

..u should start a contest ...best DUST CAP DESIGN ...WINS ...hm ...(what ever u want to give away)..

..that will give u some directions ...

DSCF1408DesktopResolution.jpg

I like the dust cap on the proto. Stands out from the crowd :neil:

Haha, no contest sorry. If we use the same style as on the Icon, it will be the simple SSA logo. :)

Keep the carbon fiber dust cap the way it is on the prototype. What kind of finish will the back plate and top plate have?

Keep the carbon fiber dust cap the way it is on the prototype. What kind of finish will the back plate and top plate have?

They will be the same finish as the top and back plates of the Icon.

They will be the same finish as the top and back plates of the Icon.

Cool, that black oxide stuff doesnt last too long before it starts to rust.

Having the CF dust cap differentiates the Xcon from the Icon, I think if you plan to have a variety of subwoofers there should be some cosmetic difference between them. Bling is one thing, but if someone hears a bangin system you want them to know right away what is making that sound. How many times have people seen/heard an impressive system & not gotten a chance to chat with the owner? If you can easily distinguish between the 2 visually the onlooker will be able to tell right away what is making all that bass, which will also be especially helpful to SSA in the future when the subwoofer family tree gets a little more complex.

If not the different cap, atleast a different logo.

Just my $.02 anyway.

I can only imagine how this sub sounds if its better than an Icon, damn.

Having the CF dust cap differentiates the Xcon from the Icon, I think if you plan to have a variety of subwoofers there should be some cosmetic difference between them. Bling is one thing, but if someone hears a bangin system you want them to know right away what is making that sound. How many times have people seen/heard an impressive system & not gotten a chance to chat with the owner? If you can easily distinguish between the 2 visually the onlooker will be able to tell right away what is making all that bass, which will also be especially helpful to SSA in the future when the subwoofer family tree gets a little more complex.

If not the different cap, atleast a different logo.

Just my $.02 anyway.

I can only imagine how this sub sounds if its better than an Icon, damn.

not to worry, we have some great plans for up coming dust caps...

the cf dustcap is cool, but at the same time, the ICON did come out first and kinda set the tone for the SSA look. i think you should for sure go back to the blue logo, and besides, boobies always look good!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: