F-150 Murphy

FORD CHEVY OR GMC?

What sucks is that none of the above make a decent compact p/u anymore. I was forced to go Japanese (all made in the US but still) to get a good compact.

I haven't owned a truck made by the big-3 in the last 20+ years. My '69 Chevy was night and day more reliable than my '85 Ranger. My dad owned five or six Chevys between '81 and '06. He never had a single problem with any of them. He drives a Ford now and he's happy with it as well (It did have a near total electrical system failure about 18 mos ago where the gauge cluster, A/C, radio and a host of other things just up and quit going down the road. Truck kept running but the engine itself was the only thing that was working. Short in the dash was the culprit. It also needed a full replacement of the front brakes at around 19k miles.). The reason that he went to Ford was price. New, they are expensive as crap, but they don't hold their value worth squat. A Ford that's $3-5k more than its GM counterpart when new will sell for $3-5k less in 2 years from what I've seen. Usually no reason to buy a domestic vehicle new (unless you're looking for something specific that you won't find in the used market) and even less of a reason with the Fords.

I liked the new style Mustang when it first came out, but now that every 3rd car on the road seems to be one, they've lost all appeal. The new Flex is retardedly expensive. The last good T-bird was the '96 (which along with the Mark VII is one of the most beautiful cars ever made). The new Focus is uglier than the first model which I didn't think was possible.

The design of the new model GMs coming out is getting markedly better. The Saturns are all basically Opels. The Pontiac G8 is a Holden. The Solstice/Sky has been very well received. Should be pretty certain that the new Camaro will, as always eat the Mustang alive. Ford still doesn't have anything that pretends to rival the Vette.

Chrysler? Don't get me started. I loved the Magnum. It is no more as of '09. Other than the Jeep brand and the SRTs, nothing they make even piques my interest. They ruined the Dakota and the Durango. The Ram was always a POS. The late 90's Avenger was a good looking car, the new one along with the Sebring are crap and ugly to boot. The Challenger might have potential but I don't see it lasting long with current gas prices.

~

I like my '94 GMC Sonoma.. its got zero options..

If I had to buy new I'd get a crew cab diesel sierra, non 4x4 and bag it ... but I can't afford that.

all vehicles have flaws there is no perfect one, unless its show hahah.

i've grown up both gm and motorcraft, no mopar though but i wouldnt mind having some old muscled mopar.

i have a f150 and it gets the job done, being a hot shot driver you have to have a reliable vehicle at all times, and i've put on 30k miles the past year and nothing wrong at all, besides replacing the tires, and spark plugs, which im pretty sure were from the assembly line as they dont even make motorcraft plugs for my year model truck and engine anymore. besides that, just regular maintenance its been a champ. i'm bout to chop off 2 of the 4 cats on it and then probably get magnaflow exhaust or the slp loudmouths and have lightning side exit with lightning tips or whatever they're called just for a little growl.

There is a guy that lives in downtown Baltimore somewhere near my office that drives a UniMog that is all silver and it has not top on it. Very cool truck!

I really have a complete dislike for V8 ford trucks... really just fords trucks in general. When I was looking for a truck I was stretching to find what I wanted in my price range for GM but I could find fords comparably equipped easily, which to me, says something. i really do think any vehicle with proper maintenance will last a long long time. I know my neighbor has an old ford from back when I was a kid that's still ticking and I know a lady with an F-150 that is older and still looks immaculate. I know we just donated our 90 model Chevy with an engine that was still very strong and my uncle got rid of a chevy with over 250K, and another friend of our had one with well over 250K and ran as good as the day he bought it. Its really give and take, but I have to say that IMO the Fords I have been in have felt like dogs. And really, I'd rather own something that performs better and may break a little more than something that is no where near thrilling but does run. I've noticed that most all Ford owners say "it gets the job done". "it gets the job done" = mediocrity. It gets it done but don't ask much else. That doesn't sell me vehicles.

Point in Case...

My Polaris Sportsman weighs more, and breaks a little more than my buddies Honda Rancher (Both the same year model). BUT when it comes to riding my ass stays planted to the seat while my true 4wd (no limited slip BS) gets me around things and my buddy is jumping off the bike because he has to man handle his bike out of the hole, but it does "get the job done". It really has to be a bit embarrassing when your riding with the ladies and you have to ask them to jump off to get out a hole that the buddy in front just cruised through with another chick on. So sure I have some more maintenance issues but its a hell of a trade for something that is more stable has much better midrange (where you really need it in an ATV) and gets me where I want and overall just performs better

A little off topic but I feel the same way in both situations

i see your point and agree with you, i rather have gm then motorcraft, my 4.6 is slow, but im thinking about doing exhaust, lt's, high flow cats, cai, gears, tune and maybe e fans in the near future to make it have some vrooooom to it. my dads 97 cheyenne with the 5.7 runs strong as can be, tranny is still fine, has about 200k on the clock, but i cant tell you how many times i've been under the hood fixing whatever has broken. i've only replaced the spark plugs on my truck but they needed to be replaced, it had the original ones from the assembly line still in it with 150k on them.

I've had almost the opposite luck as you guys as far as Ford and GM.

I've owned 3 fords.

Ford Taurus (transmission went out, wasn't worth fixing)

Lincoln Towncar (Air ride went out, cost way too much to fix, then had little things go wrong with it before I hit a deer so I got a new car)

Lincoln Mark 8 (got after the towncar crapped out, put a system in it, and then had the worst electrical problem ever. The people at the dealership couldn't even figure it out, and I had to trade it in. Also the headlights were discontinued and the replacement assembly cost 900$ (for a pair of headlights). The air-ride also went out in this vehicle and was a 800$ fix. A few other things went wrong with it too.

I actually gave up on American cars after all this because the very first car I owned was a Honda Civic when I was very young. I never took care of this car at all, didn't do any maintenance, no oil changes, never replaced air filters, or topped off fluids (I had no clue when I was a kid), and this car lasted forever. I ended up driving it til 200k and then the water pump failed and I just gave up on it.

I swore to only buy foreign cars after this, yet I went to the used car dealership and found a sweet looking 4 door Pontiac Grand Prix. This car has been running so good, and looks so nice, that I plan to just replace the motor and tranny when it goes out. Pontiac has me sold on this one, as the handling is so nice, and the engine has been so reliable I feel it's a good value, but if something happens and I can't find another Grand Prix for a good value, I'll probably end up getting a Honda or Toyota. But then again, reliability means more to me than looks, so that's probably why.

/\ Stupid reasoning.

Comparing a budget stripped out car with no options, ie the civic, with the Lincoln for reliability makes no sense. The Civic didn't have an air suspension, or a computer controlled electrical system, and so on. On top of that if you didn't realize that Lincoln's air suspension had problems, as did everyone else at the time, you really didn't think much before buying one. I also find it amusing that you were frustrated by a Taurus with a bad tranny that wasn't worth spending $800 fixing. Obviously that would have been one heck of a beater which doesn't typically correlate to reliability.

/\ Stupid reasoning.

Comparing a budget stripped out car with no options, ie the civic, with the Lincoln for reliability makes no sense. The Civic didn't have an air suspension, or a computer controlled electrical system, and so on. On top of that if you didn't realize that Lincoln's air suspension had problems, as did everyone else at the time, you really didn't think much before buying one. I also find it amusing that you were frustrated by a Taurus with a bad tranny that wasn't worth spending $800 fixing. Obviously that would have been one heck of a beater which doesn't typically correlate to reliability.

LOL, you're right, in no way was it a scientific test. I'm just saying, I bought 3 fords in a row and had problems with all of them. You're right, it probably has to do with the fact that they all had 100k miles on them when I bought them. But the Civic I had had over 100k miles on it too, and i took less care of it than the 3 fords, and still had no problems with it. I currently have a Grand Prix with 100k miles and haven't had a problem with it either.

Of course it doesn't mean pontiacs or hondas are better than Ford. It just means I've had bad luck with fords, and good luck with hondas or pontiacs. My luck was so bad with ford, I will never buy another one, unless it's an unbeatable steal of a deal.

will since this thread was about TRUCKS not cars because GMC only does trucks and SUVs and chevy is part of GM...i would say its all about the person who owns it.

personally i would go for a Japanese truck (yotas, nissan) because of the reliability and how they are priced. american cars and trucks are crap. i cant even think of an american car that is known for reliability, better yet a truck.

but i love my chevys. if you arent one of those "gas and go" people who never look under hoods or replace stuff, your vehicle is going to crap. most of the girls i know dont even know what to do to cars and trucks and they always wonder why they crap out all the time. i think if the general public had good knowledge of automobiles, we wouldnt have so many POS Cars and Trucks.

will since this thread was about TRUCKS not cars because GMC only does trucks and SUVs and chevy is part of GM...i would say its all about the person who owns it.

personally i would go for a Japanese truck (yotas, nissan) because of the reliability and how they are priced. american cars and trucks are crap. i cant even think of an american car that is known for reliability, better yet a truck.

but i love my chevys. if you arent one of those "gas and go" people who never look under hoods or replace stuff, your vehicle is going to crap. most of the girls i know dont even know what to do to cars and trucks and they always wonder why they crap out all the time. i think if the general public had good knowledge of automobiles, we wouldnt have so many POS Cars and Trucks.

Where have you been?

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/depen...ge-#page-anchor

Mercury and Cadillac are rated ahead of Toyota & Acura and so on.

The one thing the big three have always done has made reliable trucks, and ones that actually have torque so you can do something with them.

i said that I, myself; can not think of a car (meaning a model) that is know for reliability. for example, a honda civic. lol i dont know too much about cars anyways, im all about TRUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i said that I, myself; can not think of a car (meaning a model) that is know for reliability. for example, a honda civic. lol i dont know too much about cars anyways, im all about TRUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax and re-read your own statement then "better yet a truck".

i cant even think of an american car that is known for reliability, better yet a truck.

If this is just about your subjective view on what vehicles are reliable, your sampling size is too small for anyone to care.

Looks like Lexus took first, owned by toyota i have to say. Never liked mercury's, and cadilacs are ugly and expensive to fix.

Where have you been?

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/depen...ge-#page-anchor

Mercury and Cadillac are rated ahead of Toyota & Acura and so on.

The one thing the big three have always done has made reliable trucks, and ones that actually have torque so you can do something with them.

"For a 14th consecutive year, Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability, improving by 25 problems per 100 vehicles since 2007 to achieve a score of 120 PP100. Following in the top five rankings are Mercury, Cadillac, Toyota and Acura, respectively.

In addition, Lexus garners six segment awards

caddys are badass!

will since this thread was about TRUCKS not cars because GMC only does trucks

What about the Delorean?

DMC made the delorean. (Delorean Motor Company)

This is ranked in problems within the first 3 years. Take this out to 15 years, and you'd probably only see Toyota and Honda left.

Speculation obviously, since you used the word "probably." I'd also love to see you find a farmer anywhere in the US that uses a toyota or honda truck, let alone one that's 15 years old, which a large percentage of farmers use trucks older than that. I say farmers because those are people that use the trucks everyday for purposes they are designed for.

Not to mention that problems 15 years out are at least 95% dependent on how the vehicle was treated for the first 15. People who buy toyotas, hondas, etc., drive on the highway. People who buy ford and chevy actually have work to do.

DMC made the delorean. (Delorean Motor Company)

oohhhhh yeah. I'm retarded once in a while. As a kid I watched back to the future and thought the front said GMC. And even though I've read a ton of articles and watched tv programs about the delorean, it still snuck back in.

But GMC does make a crossover.

This is ranked in problems within the first 3 years. Take this out to 15 years, and you'd probably only see Toyota and Honda left.

Speculation obviously, since you used the word "probably." I'd also love to see you find a farmer anywhere in the US that uses a toyota or honda truck, let alone one that's 15 years old, which a large percentage of farmers use trucks older than that. I say farmers because those are people that use the trucks everyday for purposes they are designed for.

Not to mention that problems 15 years out are at least 95% dependent on how the vehicle was treated for the first 15. People who buy toyotas, hondas, etc., drive on the highway. People who buy ford and chevy actually have work to do.

Yeah, definitely speculation, said probably because most of the really old cars I've owned have been hondas or toyotas, and were the only ones i've ever owned out to 200k miles.

But you're right about trucks. I'd never want a honda or toyota truck, unless I used it for gas mileage and never had to haul anything with it... So you're right about that, and I live in Missouri (right next to ya) and there are a ton of Farmers here, and they all use GMC, Ford, or Chevy...most of the arguments are Ford/Chevy round here :)

And trying to insinuate that people who buy Toyotas and Hondas don't work Pfftt*

anything GM FTW!

John Delorean was a big wig at GM before forming his own company and making his vehicle. The Delorean was actually a rejected design from Malcolm Bricklin and that vehicle was a flop, so you knew the Delorean was going to follow suit. Just like the Bricklin, the Delorean used a multitude of parts from the Big 3, so it really was nothing more than a Ford/GM/Chrysler kit car.

All cars come out with a whole bunch of little problems when they are first released and then the problems get fixed in later production quarters. Also some companies push new technologies into their cars faster than other companies which makes them more prone to having problems. Another issue about car reliablity is that sometimes something can break on someones car but most people won't get it fixed unless it impedes with their driving(which is an issue with the jdpower list). Basically my point is that ALL cars are peices of junk and their miserable fate is to rust and break.